Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle vs Pistol primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted
What are the differences between rifle and pistol primers of the same size?

Thanks
Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pistol primers do not burn as hot. Sometimes, it is advantageous to use a pistol primer if you want to ignite a short/small powder column - even in a rifle cartridge. The .22 Hornet springs to mind.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well if we are going to conjecture..

the cup is less strong, and can't take as much pressure.. never heard the brisence difference before ....

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
brisance - that's a new word to me. Did some Googling on it and found this: http://www.castingstuff.com/pr...esting_reference.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Small pistol and small rifle primers are the same size. Large rifle and large pistol are NOT the same size.
Cup hardness is the main difference in the small size with variations in both the hardness and the brisance being manufacturer specific.
Some small pistol primers are "hotter" than some small rifle primers.
Many pistol use the SR primers in Major loads in 38 Super for example to prevent primer piercing at above normal pressures.
I have used SR primers in several S&W 357 revolvers just to see if they work and they do provided the hammer fall has not been lightened. All my 1911's (Kimber and Springfield) had no trouble lighting up SR primers and in my moderate loads I could detect no obvious ballistic or accuracy differences.