Find
Notify
Tools

Load development for a 270 win
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I am trying to develope a load for my son in law's 270. I was using up to 53 gr of IMR 4350 with a 140 gr game king. No really good results. I checked the chamber and found that I could extend the bullet another .030. the rifle has a 1n10 twist. Any suggestion for loads and or bullets would be greatly appericated.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mdv:
I think you should start with the "Accurate Load" as listed in the Sierra manual. For the 140 gr. bullet, Sierra shows 49.7 gr. of H-4350. I'd also, seat the bullets to their recommended OAL. I've found that usually, the Sierra load data is quite good.
Although I use 150 Partitions in my .270 Win., my powder is Rldr-22 and I get consistant 1" groups. Bullets are seated to 0.010" off the lands, as measured to the ogive. BTW, the recommended "Hunting Load" for the 140 gr. Sierra is 56.4 gr. of Rldr-22.
You say "no really good results". What's happening? Just curious. I suspect your rifle will shoot consistantly good groups once a load is found that it likes.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd choose IMR4831 and follow Sierra's data. .270 Winchester & IMR4831 = apple pie & ice cream!

You will not see a difference with seating depth changes of .020" or less in the average hunting rifle. Regardless, if results aren't spectacular with just a little work, it's safe to assume your rifle is sending you the message it doesn't care for boat tail bullets. FWIW, I've never seen a .270 that couldn't be made to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I discussed this with a guy at my reloading supply store. He told me that his 270 savage shot better with the round seated to specs. If he trys to seat close to the lands it will not group well but set at factory specs it groups very well.

Bear do you know what the MDV stands for. You seem to have picked it outSmiler

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I discussed this with a guy at my reloading supply store. He told me that his 270 savage shot better with the round seated to specs. If he trys to seat close to the lands it will not group well but set at factory specs it groups very well.

Personally I don't think you need to rely on specs for someone else's rifle. If you are dead set on the bullet and powder you mentioned, we need more detail on what exactly you've tried: powder charge, brass, primer, seating depth, etc.

If you have other powders and bullets that you are willing to try, then you have many choices. As to Sierra's manual, keep in mind, this is what their results were with their test equipment and that's that. Load manuals are simply guides and should be used as such.

You did not mention what game the 270 will be used on so I will assume deer. Nothing wrong with the bullet or powder. Sounds like the rifle just doesn't like the combo.

4831, Re19 and Re22 are excellent choices. I have many loads with each as well as 4350. If you could get at least 100 replies to this thread, I'd bet 4831 would be the most popular powder in all bullet wts.

Try some 130 grain bullets with 4350 and see what happens. While at it, try 150s as well. Like mentioned above, I've never come across a 270 for which I could not find a great load.

I will mention that Sierra is on the bottom of my list of bullets for accuracy. I got partitions to shoot better in every rifle I've ever loaded for. FWIW.

One of my best combos ever: 57.0 gr Reloder 19, 130 Barnes TSX, Fed 210M primer, Win brass. Bullets are 0.030 from lands.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with H4831sc with various bullets from 130-150gr.
Accuracy wise, I've found it to be best at or near maximum loads, so proceed with caution.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What brand of rifle you use also determines the best load, some rifles just wont shoot....Use 130g bullet, seat bullets almost to the ledes, use H4831SC between 58-61g. and if that doesnt shoot then sell the rifle to someone and buy a Rem 700 or a Browning A bolt.

Posts: 185 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post

Some bullets, namely lead free bullets such as the Barnes bullets and Nosler E-Tips will probably shoot a bit better seated off the lands. Most copper jacketed lead core bullets will shoot better seated near the lands. Some guns are more picky about this than others.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
51.0 IMR4350, 150 Berger VLD, Fed 215M, Win brass:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In several different 270s I have have always gotten good results with with Hornady 130 Interlocks and 60.0 H4831. With 140 bullets 57.0 IMR4831 has worked well. With 150s I've had success with RL-22, IMR 4831 & Acurate 3100.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I have loaded both 140 game kings and 130 accubonds with min and max loads for 4831sc and imr 4350. I also set the bullet depth to factory spec and .010 off the lands. As to the question the rifle will be used to hunt deer and hogs. The rifle is a stevens model 200. Before anyone hit on its economy (cheap) price it is all my son in law can afford right now. I told him that I had a safe full but he wanted one of his own. I'm just trying to get it to shoot as best it can.

1 shot 1 thrill

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Try using a magnum primer. The above picture I posted is IMR4350 with a Fed 215M primer.

Also, I'd take a 130 AB over a 140 Gameking any day.

If you are willing to get more bullets, buy some Speer 150 flat base spitzers. I've been quite surprised at how well these bullets did in every 270 I tried with them.

If the TSX is affordable, I find those very easy to get loads with using 4350, Re19, and 4831.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Okay it seems to like the H4831sc seated .010 off the lands. 1 to 1 1/4 inch groups. I'm going to try some varget. Has anyone ever used the limb save deresanators. I wonder if they would help. I ask this because there is always a flyer on the 4 or 5 round. I'm also think of going to a 3 round group.

1 shot 1 thrill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found it fairly easy to get very good groups from my .270's with 150 gr. bullets. Yhe Sierra game king, 150 gr. weight is sub-MOA in three rifles and 1.25" in the Ruger #1A. Powder I use is the long discontinued Winchester WMR. I have a fair supply.
FWIW, in my Winchester M70, the winchester 150 gr. Powerpoints are a .50" grouper in that that rifle. Tey run closer to .75" in two others.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mdvjrp93
one of us

QUOTE:: Posted 29 December 2011 19:32 Hide Post
Okay it seems to like the H4831sc seated .010 off the lands. 1 to 1 1/4 inch groups. I'm going to try some varget.

VARGET is to fast for a 270 win. The fastest powder i use is IMR 4350.. VARGET does not have enough powder density with a 140 it will give you about 72%.. to mush air space. stick with IMR-4831 or the H-4831 on the heavy bullets. Higher density powders usually give better accuracy..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MD, not every .270 likes the gamekings.
You might have better luck with the Nosler Ballistic Tips.

I suggest trying them with your H4831, and some CCI 200 primers. It's a proven combination.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I think I found a large part of my problem. The neck sizing die was not properly sizing the neck. As sonn as the crimp was broke the bullet had enough room to do back flips into the throat. Me thinks that it had a negative effect on my accuracy. I was also seating the round to far out not using the neck to hold the bullet straight. I'll find out on Monday if this fixes the problem.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
We finally found a fair load. 140gr game king over 58gr of 4831sc with a cci 200 large rifle primer. Thanks to everyone that gave me in put.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
I'd choose IMR4831 and follow Sierra's data. .270 Winchester & IMR4831 = apple pie & ice cream!

tu2

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i normally cut them off at the shoulder, pickle them a little in toiletbowl cleaner, and then swage in a lead core to use them as .475 bullets .. you have to develope the overall length to make them get your desired .475 bullet weight..

oh, wait, you meant shooting the .277 bullet ...

hah..

i go middle of book, at -0.0275 off the lands

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39682 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote