New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun Reloading Question?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I plan to buy a MEC for reloading 12 ga. waterfowl loads. I'm going with the Remington "Hevishot". If I get stopped by a game warden how will he know that i'm using Hevishot and not lead if he wants to see my reloads?
Mauser K98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your best bet would be to contact the game warden(s) for the area you'll be hunting and find out for sure.

If all else, carry a container of some sort and allow him to cut one open (his choice of shells so he knows it's not just a select shell that's non-lead) to check it...use the container to dump everything in so you lose only the hull and not everything else if you're concerned about the lost money in materials.

posted Hide Post
I just talked to our local game warden about 2 weeks ago. Same situation, when my stash of Kent Tungsten/Polymer runs out, I want to load some bismuth. He said that since the old hulls may have a trace of lead that the sniffer may pick up, they would probably take a shell from me and cut it up.

Posts: 21 | Location: AZ | Registered: 30 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dunno about how Tennessee goes about it, but here in Wis. the wardens carry some sort of gizmo that "reads" what type of shot is in a shell. My brother shoots a Charles Daly SXS that he's deadly with. Of course steel, hevishot, tungsten are all out of the question for old doubles. So I loaded some bismuth for him. He got checked, the warden stuck the front of the shell in the gizmo, it read bismuth! Oh, and the bismuth loads worked great!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote