Find
Notify
Tools

MLS-do you have it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered if there was a term for it. I have it pretty bad.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had it for about 10 yrs starting 40 yrs ago. Trying to have that one rifle that would do everything from varmint to bear and elk. Seemed it was always sighted in for the wrong load. Roll Eyes

As the bank account would allow I increased to multiple rifles. Most different chambering's. A couple built for different loads and hunting environment but same chambering.

Now pistols I do have target loads and hunting. Self defense are all factory.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The article is sort of amusing. The author seems to have the gun nuts pegged alright.

As I look back over the past 50 - 60 years sometimes I ask myself - Jesus - !!! Where did all of these guns come from ???? Roll Eyes

My sons gun cabinet is bulging and he has to either get another one or wait for me to pass mine along.

As I check my ammo and reloading cabinets I find loads I put together 50 years ago still unshot!!!!

Gun's don't go bad !!! Wink

When the next revolution comes I will be ready - !

I NEVER, EVER sell off my guns. Whatever my family does is of course their prerogative.

They don't call us GUN NUTS for nothing !!

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
yes......yes.....I do.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I can stop anytime I want to (and I don't want to.) Too much fun is never enough. Sheesh! Some people regret having over-chewed their food.

Seriously, the only drawback I see is mixing loads on a hunt. That has happened, shooting 150's when I also had 200- and 180-grainers along as well.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
For hunting, I stick to one load, that is it.

For experimenting and shooting, I do load practically every bullet weight in a particular caliber.

It is very informative, and very interesting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68649 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I like to try something new with this or that component and once in a while it can lead to finding a load that I like better for "X" rifle. So when that happens I use the former favorite load for trigger time. But inevitably it always leads to MBS, "Multiple bullet syndrome". I just cant ever seem to have enough on the shelves. hilbily

I kind of liked the article though.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I plead guilty as charged. I like to experiment, so even when I find a good load I keep on looking. When I could get 5 deer tags I would shoot 5 different bullets for comparison. I do have favorites based on the testing results.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why yes, yes I do!

Posts: 51 | Location: South East Ohio | Registered: 27 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a hobby - if you're having fun, HAVE FUN! No need to make excuses to anybody for your behavior - that is, as long as you can afford it.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Load 500 rounds and have 400 left? That's a six month supply, maybe five. Could be less depending how n the match schedule. There is also nothing wrong with having two or three good known loads for a rifle depending on what powder.or.bullet you can find.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i did, then i started using gold bond

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39577 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did when I was young and poor. I could afford ONE hunting rifle, and it was an OM 70 in 300 WM.

I shot Rockchucks and the occasional badger in the spring with 130gr bullets, hunted Antelope with the 150's, and Mule Deer and Elk with the 180gr.

Then, I found one in 220 Swift, and forgot about the 130's in 30 caliber.

Then, I had a 98 built in 257 Roberts, and forgot about the 150's.

Then, I traded into a Sako Mannlicher stocked carbine in 375 H&H, and found out what a 7lb rifle with scope would do for a shoulder.

It's a fun progression.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My reloading/hunting mentor, back in the '50s, was a one gun man. He shot a M70 30-06 for varmints, moose, and everything in between. His only load was 56 grains of 4350 (There was only IMR in those days), a CCI primer and 180 Hornadays. We full length sized using a two piece die in a vise.

He might not have been very imaginative, but he introduced a smart-ass 16 year old kid to hunting. I will be forever grateful. He was a fine man and a gentleman, even if he only had one gun.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still do, but it takes some time and effort and some guns won't allow it..

My African rifles shoot solids and softs to the same POI, and in some cases my softs are brass and my solids are nickel so I can visually tell them apart at a glance.

Some of my guns will shoot almost every load to the same POI, that's good, and I may travel with my 30-06 to Texas for Whitetail with 150 gr. bullets and stop in NM and hunt elk with 180 gr. bullets on the way home. since both shoot to the same POI I don't have be resighting all the time, it makes since to me. BTW that 06 shoots 110 gr. bullets also to the same POI, so I can shoot a coyote on the way home if no cars are coming! tu2

Most of my guns will shoot a lighter deer/antelope bullet and a heavier elk load to the same POI such as my 7x57. I have two loads for it with different powder and different bullet..The 130 gr. Speer for deer and the 175 gr. Nosler for elk or whatever, and it also shoots the 145 speer and the 160 gr. Noslers to the same POI..I like this gun., My 250 Savage shoots everything to the same POI..All this is pleasing to me.

I still play with my guns, and I like guns that will shoot most loads, prefer all loads to the same POI and I test them all and mark the results in my reloading book..

Im thinking maybe Petzel just ran out of something to write about, as many gun scribes have. He could always write a article on the 270 vs. 30-06. horse

Add to his sequence of events his advise is 70 years too late, I have already got ammo going back to the 1950s maybe further back than that. I am guilty of all charges and just hope old Pretzel will let me off the hook with a suspended sentence and put me on a work gang at the local range shooting up my ammo, I should be done by 2099 with a little luck. Thanks Dave,

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand the problem. I had it until I found an 150 gr Nosler BT load at 3,100 fps in my .30-06 that, when zeroed for 250 yards, an 180 Partition loaded at 2800 fps hits to POA at 225 yards. Never had any reason to work up another load for that rifle. My other rifles, however... I'll just say that it's the challenge in finding the best load for whatever purpose is what makes handloading interesting.

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imagine the people who go thru life happy as a clam shooting only factory ammunition...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Imagine the people who go thru life happy as a clam shooting only factory ammunition...

Do those people really exist Wink

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
One caliber, one load, one game category.
It means that, according to game species and hunting mode, I'll hunt with either the .30-06, .300 Win Mag, 9,3x62 or 9,3x74R.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OGOL (One Gun, One Load) is my normal practice...

In my 30-06 anything worth doing can easily be done with a 165gr bullet, I've never loaded a 15gr in any of my '06 rifles.

Why? because if I can drive 165s to the same speeds, why bother?

If I want to "play" with different loads I have a 223rem bolt action rifle...

223 varmint bullets are cheap and I have a garbage pail full of 223 brass...

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You mean to say some reloaders don't experiment?
Where's the fun in that?
I only have one rifle that I haven't loaded multiple bullets for. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
You mean to say some reloaders don't experiment?
Where's the fun in that?
I only have one rifle that I haven't loaded multiple bullets for. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think old P O Ackley would be very proud of us here at the AR workshop.

From mixing powders to get s specific burning rate, to making our own black powder, to blowing up bombs found on the air force bombing range!

What is life without experimenting?? beer

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68649 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Once I discovered bullet casting I started buying firearms with that in mind. I only have two rifles that get jacketed bullets only, a 7.62 semi auto and a Remington 700 25 06 bolt. I have established the load and never change it.
Why buy factory bullets when I can achieve the same accuracy and velocity with a cast bullet, at a far lower price.
I'll get the urge to buy another bullet mold then I can tinker with different alloys, diameters, different lubes, annealed or not annealed gas checks, powder charges, different powders, different primers, different cases...
There's lots of ways to frustrate myself.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

Do those people really exist Wink

I have a friend who shoots nothing but factory loads in his 270 Winchester. A box of shells will last him for five years. He uses three rounds to check the zero and one round to kill his deer. He is not interested in any part of the reloading process but only in hunting. I think he inherited the rifle from his grandfather.

My band teacher in junior high saved up to buy a Marlin lever action when they were about 130 dollars with the sales-tax. This was in the early 60s when I wanted a model 70 so bad I could taste it, but my dad got me a 700 BDL for Christmas. He always did it so that got you what you needed or wanted but always to put a little pain in it. I think that gave him a little pleasure. He also gave me 20 boxes of Remington ammo with it. Caliber was .264 Winchester. Then I saved up to buy a Leupold scope.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I loaded different weights for different guns in the past, but only loaded enough for hunting that specific year. Always was looking for the magic sub-moa load. As time has gone by, I have an old school library card catalog box full of bullets...enough to last me until I die and my son dies. BUT WAIT! XYZ Boolit Co. has something new. Must try that.
But wait, there is a new caliber (such as RIp's and my .395...no kidding) that I must try.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote