THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swaging primer pockets on military brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted
Been reloading for several decades but have never needed to swag the primer pockets on military brass. But now I have bought a bunch that needs to be swagged.

How is this done?

The old primers popped out OK but I need to remove the "crimp" or do something so I can seat new primers.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk - Probably best way to go is get you the RCBS Primer Pocket Swagging Die Set. I think it's around 10 or 12$ and will do both large and small primers. It's a slow job, but only happens once per case.

You can usually order once fired military brass either swagged or UNswagged. The swagged cost a few cents more but is worth it IMHO.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS swagging set-up . It works well , but as Pecos said it takes alittle more time ( basically another setup and pull on the handle)I have used it on .223 brass and once swagged the primers go in real nice . I have seen cases that have beencut with some kind of tool and I dont like that method.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
I used to use the RCBS set up but found it slow and cumbersome. Then I bought a gizmo from Dillon that works slick as shit. You just pop the case on a mandrel, push it down and operate a lever. Next please. I bought mine years ago and don't know if they still make them, but it would be worth looking into, if you are going to do a lot of cases.
Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a crimp removal tool in conjunction with the RCBS Case Prep Center.

It's a cutter with a stop attached and a few revolutions is all it takes to cut the crimp out.

George

[ 12-05-2002, 04:37: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The RCBS swager works good, but if you don't want to buy it you can use a chamfer tool.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I have gotten a PM offering to sell me the right tool to do the job.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
Elkslayer:

I've tried them all. The RCBS will work but nine times out of 10 you'll be pounding the crap out of the swaged case to free it from the swage button.

NOTHING matches the Dillon! Slick as snot...

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to reload military brass, get the Dillon tool. You will be surprised how fast you can swage a bucket load of brass with it. I had the RCBS one for a while, threw it away in frustration, then I bought the Dillon. It is very easy to set up and use.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like some other posters, I much prefer to cut the crimp out. There are some special tools made for this, but the mouth chamfering tool works just fine if you don't have anything else (even a pocket knife can be used effectively).

Chamfering rather than swaging leaves a nice, smooth bevel on the primer pocket and makes for smooth primer seating. Sometimes, a swaged pocket will have a rough edge remaining for the primer to hang up on. But either method will work.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like various forms of cutting, reaming and chamfering. The idea of doing it with a pocket knife is a grand way to ruin a pocket knife and probably slice a thumb open before the day is done.

Reaming and pocket knives and such are the worst of all possible methods simply because you never clean out any two primer pockets the same. Some you will cut too much and some too little and get to try again later. VERY frustrating.

Whatever tool you use Swagging is the ONLY correct way to fix the primer pocket issue. You get the perfect "fix" every time.

I've never used the Dillon tool, but the RCBS works perfectly (without having to bang cases out of it) if it is used and adjusted in the press properly.

My all time favorite primer pocket gadget was a little cheap stand and rod you hammered into the pocket. Made by Lee and worked perfectly. I did several 1,000 on mine before I lost it and got smart and started ordering my brass PRE SWAGGED. (THAT is the ultimate answer. [Smile] )

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickMD:
Elkslayer:

I've tried them all. The RCBS will work but nine times out of 10 you'll be pounding the crap out of the swaged case to free it from the swage button.

NOTHING matches the Dillon! Slick as snot...

If you use the sleeve that goes over the swage and under the case, it will pop the case off the swage at the bottom of the ram travel. Otherwise it is a real pita as stated.

If pushing hard on the press handle is a bother, A little case lube (of your choice) between the swage and the primer pocket really gets the job done. I used lee lube and wiped the primer pocket after swageing.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:

Whatever tool you use Swagging is the ONLY correct way to fix the primer pocket issue. )

I hate it when folks say things like that.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Dillon. Threw an RCBS swage die away.

Eddie

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leftoverdj:
quote:

Whatever tool you use Swagging is the ONLY correct way to fix the primer pocket issue. )

I hate it when folks say things like that.
Got to agree.
It may be the "correct" way, but it's not the only way. By the way, a chamfer tool works just fine if you are carefull, and only need a few.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whatever tool you use Swagging is the ONLY correct way to fix the primer pocket issue. You get the perfect "fix" every time.

)

I have both a swaging tool and a cutting tool. The swaging tool is perhaps a bit faster, but the cutting tool does a better, more consistent job. Having done it both ways over nearly 40 years of reloading, I can assure you that swaging is not the ONLY correct way and doesn't give you a perfect "fix" everytime (but it works just fine for those of you who prefer it).

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote