New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I neglected my 308 dies. Haven't used them for almost 20 yrs. They have a little rust inside them. Is there a way to clean/polish them or should I just chunk them and buy new dies?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try flitz around a tight bristle brush wrapped in a few patches. It may be all you need unless there is pitting. JB will do the same thing.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would be more aggressive and put some 400 grit on a stick and spin it with a drill, or really I would put the die in the lathe. Finish with 600, or finer. They are hardened so you can't do much damage to them. It will have to be pretty severely pitted not to still work fine.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've found the oil sold as "KROIL" and steel wool to be extremely helpful and effective for removing rust.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of both worlds, put a 20gause shotgun brush in an electric drill, tease some #0000 steelwool into the bristles, soak it in Kroil and have at it.
Spray it down with brake cleaner to clear out any rust or steelwool residue and then oil with a light coating of Kroil.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
break fluid -- cheap cheap ... put it in a coffee can and pour enough dot3 to cover em... leave em for a week

you know old dies shrink, right?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting, how does that happen?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:

Interesting, how does that happen?
popcorn

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
teasing a buddy, guys

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
2nd on the Kroil. I've been using it for 48 years now and swear by it.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I go with Wasbeeman's style- a bit of 0000 wrapped around a wire brush, some penetrating oil and moderate rpm with a cordless drill. afterward, I always clean up with 90% isopropyl-awesome degreaser..

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasbeeman must have been reading my mind.

After I posted I got to thinking-what have I got to loose. I didn't have any Flitz, so I dug around my diamond polishing compounds from my injection-mold building days and found some 50000. Spread a 1/4 pea size dab(probably too much) on a 20ga bore mop, chucked in a cordless drill added a couple drops of EDM oil and went to town. Sprayed out with brake cleaner. I don't think that die was that shiny when it was brand spanking new! I wiped the inside of the die with case lube. I have full length resized over 50 cases and no problems.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To clean the outside of the die set use a electric drill brush. It cleans nicely on the checkering of the die. Spray with Q20 afterwards and wipe dry. Will look as new.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All depends on the manufacturer of the die. There are dies that are not worth the effort and are subject to rusting.

I clean the inside of a die with a towel on a dowel, I prefer white towels. With a white towel I know when I am finished.

I do not clean the inside of my dies with chemicals, it takes me years to like a die and the finish, I do not like starting over.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with PB Blaster... I use the liquid version, in a refillable spray bottle for cleaning and for rust protection. I haven't needed to use it on all my dies, but the ones I have, clean up nicely, easily, and are certainly protected from rusting.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote