Find
Notify
Tools

Changing powders because of the shortage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
With the current nuttiness, some of my favorite flavors of smokeless have not been available. For instance, I worked up a load for my .300 WinMag using RL22. Unfortunately, I only had a partial pound of it, and burned up most of that in the sight in process. Since I did have a lot of h4831SC on hand, I switched to that even though it wasn't listed in the Nosler manual for use with 180 grain bullets.

While I may have lost about 50 FPS, the results have been very acceptable accuracy wise (thanks to Nosler customer service for giving me some "out of the book" load hints).

I figured I'm not the only one to do this. In a way it has been kind of fun. I have to develop a new load for some of my rifles, moving away from loads that I have been using for years.

Anyone else had to do this?

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Flexibility is the key. My favorite load in my 1911 is HP38, but I loaded Unique for a while, worked well although dirty. Can't find any BLC (2), so loading H4198 in the 223.

On a good note I love Rel 22 for 180gr A Frames in my 300 Win Mag.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Because our LGS gouges on powder prices and UPS charges extra for shipping powder and primers it has been cost effective over the last 5 years or so to stock up on components. Through no planning or foresight on my part I have ended up with at least a couple of pounds of any powder I use regularly and several misc powders along with thousands of primers.
Hopefully what I have will last through the current shortages or the rest of my life if our state legislature has its way.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unfortunately this is happening lots today. shortages of powder, primers, bullets are forcing us all to adapt. on the other hand, maybe that is a good thing

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I changed powders a lot during the past 40+ years of reloading.

Mostly because I got a better price.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Options Men always have Options.

When you find a load/powder combo that do what you want,stop a moment and look for another combo that will get you close.

It pays off in the long run.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In over 40 years of loading I have seen a few powders come and go. Others were always hard to find or non-existant even in the best of times.
I like working up loads for new rifles but not just because a powder disappeared. I pretty much stick to the most popular IMR, Hodgdon and Alliant powders that have been in production for a long time and are not likely to be discontined or hard to find.
Example - I think Unique has been in production for over 100 years - began in 1900. Bullseye began production in 1898...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I worked up a load for my .300 WinMag using RL22. Unfortunately, I only had a partial pound of it, and burned up most of that in the sight in process.

Even if you could run down to the store and buy another canister of RL-22, you would still be "changing" powders. RL-22 is infamous (like its spec twin, also manufactured in Sweden by Bofors, Norma 205/MRP) for wider-than-average variations from lot to lot. If starting with a new lot of RL-22 you would have to work your load up again (or at least verify it), and it is likely that it would take a different amount of powder from a "new" lot of RL-22 to provide the same performance as your original lot.

Always purchase enough of one lot of powder (regardless of whether it is of the RL-series) to last you for an extended period of time. Otherwise you'll find yourself continuously reworking loads, or wondering why your load "doesn't shoot the way it used to?"

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I switched to h335 for "nearly everything" a couple years ago .. 2005 or so ... .. seems like yesterday ...

anyway, i have used it from 22 hornet - 550 magnum!

is it the right powder for everything? nope.. but its a good powder for most things...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 09 June 2013 19:30 Hide Post
I switched to h335 for "nearly everything"

me2

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
I worked up a load for my .300 WinMag using RL22. Unfortunately, I only had a partial pound of it, and burned up most of that in the sight in process.

Even if you could run down to the store and buy another canister of RL-22, you would still be "changing" powders. RL-22 is infamous (like its spec twin, also manufactured in Sweden by Bofors, Norma 205/MRP) for wider-than-average variations from lot to lot. If starting with a new lot of RL-22 you would have to work your load up again (or at least verify it), and it is likely that it would take a different amount of powder from a "new" lot of RL-22 to provide the same performance as your original lot.

Always purchase enough of one lot of powder (regardless of whether it is of the RL-series) to last you for an extended period of time. Otherwise you'll find yourself continuously reworking loads, or wondering why your load "doesn't shoot the way it used to?"
Actually found that out just recently. So I wasn't to upset to transition to something else.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also determined that IMR7828SSC is virtually interchangeable with RL22. My loads for 416 Rigby are identical charge and performance.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its definatly a pain to deal with but I'm told it should return to normal late summer...

I have lots of old H4831, the good surplus stuff in a steel container..I have a lot of H4895..I am in dire need of RL-15, Varget, H322, H335, want some new DFE-223, LVR lever action powder..

That said I probably have enough loaded ammo to last me the rest of my life, some of you may not! One of mixed niceties of old age, it don't take much to get by these days. Eeker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote