New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer catcher for RCBS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw a primer catcher for RCBS Rock Chucker that had a tube in the front of unit so u could hook a plastic on to it and run into a some type of a catcher there no name or any identifying marks on it. Does anybody remember seeing these and who manufacture them???

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You talk about the Rock Chucker before the Supreme model. After putting the case in the shell holder, I put my left hand on the front of the press as a kind of a stop sign. Through this I prevent 99% of the primers that does blow to the front from landing on the ground. On the other hand a piece of plastic shield (plastic Coke bottle) could do the same if inserted between the primer catcher and the front of the press.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anybody remember seeing these and who manufacture them???

It does not take me long to look at it. Before I knew reloaders had a problem with keeping their primers 'rounded up' I used 3M black electrical tape. All I did was take a couple of wraps around the primer catcher to secure it; after that it was impossible for a primer to escape. And then my wife found some green
M tape for color coordination.

And then came the red 3M tape; my wife suggested I use it during Christmas time.

And then one day I had to fly from Yonkers, NY out of Newark, NJ to Dallas, Tx. When I lined up the inspectors found a problem with a group ahead of me. They were asked to remove their shoes for inspections so I decided 'what the heck' so I removed my shoes for inspection. The group ahead of me approved of my gesture.

When the inspectors examined my shoes they wanted to know what caused the little metal rings imbedded into the sole of my shoes. I explained to them they were anti-sked devises for ice and snow; something like knobby inserts for winter walking.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I cut a piece of bleach bottle about 2.5" high and about 3" wide. I rounded off the top corners for better visibility. To secure my plastic primer catcher onto my old Rockchucker I use a stout/wide zip tie. It also secures the above described 'primer bounce blocker' into place.

When it's time to dump out accumalated dead primers I can carefully slide the snug zip tie up and remove the primer catcher and my improvised bounce stopper.

At this point I usually figure out a way to dump some of the spent primers onto the floor! Hit my elbow on the vise, half-trip over the shop vac... Smiler

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A piece of Scotch Bright tucked in front of the ram in the primer catcher tray has worked 99.9% for me for years. Just my 2 cents.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1059 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What happened to the round green primer catcher that came with your press? Mine still works after 50 years.

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How wonderful, someone is catching 99% of the primers that their Rock Chucker spits out. That still leaves one out of every 100 primers on the floor.

I sold my RCBS Rockchucker, got a Lyman T Mag to have more dies on top, but that still spewed primers on the floor, so I got this:

I am much happier with the Redding T-7

If you have a 3D printer maybe you can create your own primer catcher such as this inventor did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg0KTM_eXHs

Looks like RCBS actually stocks a version

https://primercatchers.com/product/rcbs-rock-chucker/

I think this is a kludge and owners of RCBS Rockchuckers should find a press that uses a tube instead of cup, or, wait till RCBS updates their Rockchucker. I would not buy a current Rockchucker for this reason as you know, if RCBS is offering primer catchers, it won't be long till they modify the press because the market place is tired of picking primers off the floor.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The old rock chucker primers come out the front

Posts: 6390 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes my primers come out from a slot in the ram front, and falls into a round green plastic cup that surrounds the press. They never fall onto the floor. No idea what the issue could be from those who don't like them. Lost your cup I suppose....
I got this one in 1974 or 5.

Posts: 17111 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can even use a broom and a scoop, just like a barber!! Wink

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atkinson the old stand-by never fails.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote