Find
Notify
Tools

Help - 416 Rigby trouble
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
I've loaded up a bunch of 416 Rigby using some old cases that were previously primed. Prior to loading I trimed the cases then loaded to the proper as measured with a gage. Out of 4 of the first 10, the bolt would not close. I tried seating the bullet deeper but no help. I marked the bullets with a felt tip and loaded and there were no marks. I pulled the bullets and tried to load the empty case. The bolt would not close all the way. I remeasured and I had trimmed to the correct length. So, I can only guess that it is in the diameter of the case somewhere near the rim. I marked the whole case with a felt tip, tried again but still no marks.

Any ideas and what should I do?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SBT what rifle are you using. I don't want you to be insulted, but I made a similar mistake. If you have a CRF rifle then you must feed the rounds from the magazine, otherwise the bolt must fit over the rim at the last fraction of an inch.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
I've loaded up a bunch of 416 Rigby using some old cases that were previously primed. Prior to loading I trimed the cases then loaded to the proper as measured with a gage. Out of 4 of the first 10, the bolt would not close. I tried seating the bullet deeper but no help. I marked the bullets with a felt tip and loaded and there were no marks. I pulled the bullets and tried to load the empty case. The bolt would not close all the way. I remeasured and I had trimmed to the correct length. So, I can only guess that it is in the diameter of the case somewhere near the rim. I marked the whole case with a felt tip, tried again but still no marks.

Any ideas and what should I do?

Try pulling the decapping pin off the die and running the cases through your FL die again.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
great answers.. i suspect if they aren't fired in his gun, or loaded by them, they are oversized.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39629 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys. I'm using a Winchester Mdl 70 Safari Express w/ CRF. In retrospect, the cases I'm having trouble with were a gift and received primed. I did not size them or shoot them through my rifle. I have now pulled the bullets, poured out the powder and set them aside.

I brought out the brass that has been fired in my rifle. I re-sized each and ran each into the chamber without a single problem. Thanks for the help.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
With those cases that are too large, can I use the FL die to knock out a live primer, or is it best to shoot them?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Like Fjold said.. back off, or out, your expander and depriming cap so they aren't inplay.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39629 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
In retrospect, the cases I'm having trouble with were a gift and received primed.

Hmmm...these sound familiar. They were fired in two different rifles and then only neck-sized. One rifle has a larger chamber than standard and that's the cause of the problem you're experiencing.

Full-length size all of them and you should have no problems. All the brass I sent you was once-fired.

I sent you a PM too.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Forrest. I now recall that you told me to resize the brass but somehow that got lost in the translation. Now that I understand the problem, it is no longer a problem. And thanks again for your generosity!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With those cases that are too large, can I use the FL die to knock out a live primer, or is it best to shoot them?

You can resize and knock out the live primers but much easier to just back out the decapping pin.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I have discovered the real problem and it wasn't Forrest's cases at all, it was my technique.

I reloaded some of the brass that had been fired in my own rife and had been tested for fit before loading. Once loaded, they didn't fit either. After much bullet depth checking I noticed there was a slight bulge all the way around the shoulder. Then, when working through the issue with a friend, we realized that I had the die adjusted for too much crimp and it was crushing the cases at the shoulder.

We then loaded with no crimp - problem solved.

Thanks all. With a DG safari only 9 days away, this was relly stressing me out. I even ordered some factory rounds as back-up.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can, but what I'd do is back the expander plug up some into the sizeing die, so that the decapping pin doesn't stick out the bottom of the die, then size them leaving the primer untouched.

Then add powder & bullet (after you've verified that the bolt will close on those cases).......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote