THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    RCBS Shell Holder won't fit in Rock Chucker Supreme Press

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Shell Holder won't fit in Rock Chucker Supreme Press
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Still mostly new to all the reloading stuff. I bought stuff just for my .40 S&W to begin with. The #27 shell holder was HARD to get in to the ram(I reckon that is what it is called, it moves up and down in the O-frame and does the work). I can get it in at out without as much difficulty as I did to begin with but it isn't easy. I got the #14 shell holder for the .45-70 I ordered and I can't get it to go in at all, I could probably rubber mallet it in I guess. I tried a #3 shell holder I have and it just pops right in and kinda clicks in place. My #27 for the .40 doesn't work this way at all and like I said I can't even get the #14 in it seems. What is going on here? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance
Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using an RCBS press?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wes,
Many years ago when I bought my first reloading press (Rock Chucker), I had the same problem. The ram wouldn't accept any shellholders. It turns out that the ram was incorrectly machined. A quick call got a replacment ram sent to me for free. Give RCBS a call and I'm sure they will be happy to help you.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP Shooter...yes I am using an RCBS Rock Chucker press.

WESR.....I will give RCBS a call tomorrow if I can find their number on their website or paperwork I have here.

----

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bit more info, kinda makes me wonder what is messed up and what isn't. I have these 6 shell holders.....3,6,13,14,27 and 32.

3,6 and 13 slot in fine and kinda click in place easily like I kinda would expect.

27 and 32 I gotta REALLY force in but I can get it in there.

14 just won't go unless I beat it to death probably.

So I wonder if it is really the ram since some of them seem to work fine. I will be calling RCBS on Monday to ask them about it, but it just seems a little weird.

Wes

----

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get out your calipers and measure 3 points on the shellholders.
Diameter of the shank
Length of the shank
Diameter of the lower ring.

I'm betting you will find the problem right there. Still place the call to RCBS, but with the additional information (no point in getting the wrong part needed to repair the problem).

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
with my new Rock Chucker, I'm haveing trouble with the spring clip popping out slightly and keeping the shell holders from slipping in. I think the end of the clip is a bit long. Usually end up rethreading the clip and snapping it in place. Then the shell holders work fine.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea so I thought. The Diameters on both that I am testing are the same or maybe .001 difference. The length of the shank on the one that fits is .135 and the one that doesn't fit is .130 . Could 5 one-thousandths of an inch make that big of a difference where it wouldn't slid in there? If I have 3 that don't seem to be long enough if that 5 one-thousandths does make that difference, it find it hard to believe that no one else has this problem much.

Wes

----

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ole_270 if that was happening on mine I would think it would cause problems with all my shell holders not just half of them. I am new to all this so I might not understand how that clip works exactly.

Wes

----

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
RCBS has replaced things for me over the years just call or e-mail them.I give them a big thumb

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my first dealing with RCBS and gotta give them a big thumbs up. I told the lady(Jean) on the phone my problem and she asked a few questions then talked to her repair guy and said some of the rams were milled at the extreme end of tolerance so some of the shell holders with thicker bottom rings won't fit right. They are sending a new one today. Very refreshing to work with a trusting company that wants to help you out.

Wes

----

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WesN:
Well my first dealing with RCBS and gotta give them a big thumbs up. I told the lady(Jean) on the phone my problem and she asked a few questions then talked to her repair guy and said some of the rams were milled at the extreme end of tolerance so some of the shell holders with thicker bottom rings won't fit right. They are sending a new one today. Very refreshing to work with a trusting company that wants to help you out.

Wes

Yep, RCBS has great customer service. That extra .005" of height in some of your shellholders was enough to cause an interference if the rams were made to the top of their tolerance.

Seems like RCBS needs to look into its GD&T.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
mine was tight, but no tighter than my hornady cacse trimmer.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell me again... how crappy are Lee presses? sofa
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Tell me again... how crappy are Lee presses? sofa
Cheers...
Con

1, LEE would start by trying to say it was your fault, RCBS start's by saying "our mistake, sorry, followed by " We'll have a new part(s) for you in the mail today".
2, Lee would be charging shipping.
3, LEE only warrenties there stuff for a couple of years, to the origional purchaser. RCBS has a lifetime warrenty, no matter when it was made or where you got it from (Find one in the tip (trash), and they'll rebuild and return it to you for free)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote