Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home made tumbler
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone have any ideas on a homemade brass tumbler or vibrator? I like making my own stuff when I can and this seems like a fun one to try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could buy several for the cost of making one ..... cheapest is to buy a cheap 110 VAC cement mixer ...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sure.. lots of ways to do it.. and a belt drive, with a 3# coffee can (pulley on the bottom) connected to a 900 rpm (and then geared down) works fine.

30 bucks from midway, though..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39697 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
I've made one.

The drum of the tumbler itself was made from 6" dia PVC tube with a couple of screw on end caps glued into place on the ends.
3 lengths 1" dia pvc conduit are also glued to the inside of the 6" tube to increase the stirring action.
The tumbler/tube assembly is then supported on two horizontal rollers, one of which is driven via a belt from a sewing machine motor.
The two rollers are supported in a simple fabricated tubular steel frame.

The design is similar the the Thumlers Tumbler with the horizontal drum which will explain it better than I can describe it with words.

I 1/4" fill the drum with walnut media, dump my brass in, screw the end cap on and then set it going at about 50rpm.
I control the speed with a triac controller.

It works very well but probably isn't as fast as a vibratory type cleaner.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote