Notify
Tools

Tight cases in a 6PPC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of puntgunner
posted
Hi all,

I have a problem with tight cases, (difficult to close the bolt on a loaded round, but just a little pressure needed to lift the bolt on a fired case).
The cases are 3 x fired 220 Russian ,buttoned out to .242 and neck turned to .262.

There are no signs of pressure irregularities, the load is mild ( 27.4 Grains of VV133).

The bullet is seated on the lands , and there are no identifiable changes in the geometry of the fire case, except the neck expansion once fired.

i have been told the shoulder can jump forward on these cases and may need setting back.
i have a shoulder bump die, but do not seem to get any results with it.

Can anyone help?

Posts: 181 | Location: Home counties, England | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seat your bullets so they are about .010 off the lands to see if that solves the problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have not "Trimmed" the Cases, check the Case Length.

quote:
Originally posted by puntgunner:
...i have been told the shoulder can jump forward on these cases and may need setting back.
i have a shoulder bump die, but do not seem to get any results with it. ..
Try Bumping one back and then see if it will Chamber easily without loading it.

1. If it does not, then you need to Screw the Die into the press a bit more and try it again.

2. If it does, the problem is with the Seating Die being screwed into the Press too far. The "Crimp Portion" of the Die can cause the Shoulder to Bulge or Buckle slightly and keep the Cartridge from chambering.
-----

That said, DMB could be absolutely correct. If that is the problem, determine the Seating Depth for one specific Bullet using the old time-proven, never-fail, highly-accurate, Cleaning Rod Method then convert OAL to ODL and you can Seat the Bullet at any distance you desire - accurately.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote