Find
Notify
Tools

Case fill % and Powder recomendations in 243
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I've started reloading my 243 for heavy 95-108 grain heads and the issue I have is powder capacity of the case. According to "Quickload" VV160 gives me about 106% for the 95s and 101% for the 105s-108s. AA4350 is at about 85-90% for these heads.
Is there an ideal % of fill for the case?

If possible, a recommended powder for the 243 for 95s - 108 grain heads???

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
J.F.

I am not sure about powder availability in GB..stateside, I have found the most versatile powder for the 243, particularly with heavier bullets, is H 414.. or W 760.. essentially the same powder..

any of the 4350s are good, as is RL 19...
but my preference goes to the above H 414...

It gives me 3250 fps out of a 243, with a 105 A Max...the load is a little hot at 44 grains.. ( so work up if you try it) but that is only a grain more than listed in the Hodgdon # 26 manual...and it proved to be more accurate in each of my 243s...I use the same charge with 95 grain ballistic tips up to 107 grain Sierra HP Match bullets..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote