New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for the 8mm Mauser
 Login/Join

<8mmJon>
posted
Does anyone have a favorite load they use in the Model 98 Mauser (8mm K98k)? I have recently gotten into reloading and am working on getting my Mod 98 to shoot tighter groups. I hunt with it so an optimum hunting load is my goal, good accuracy with plenty of punch. I know the 7.92 x 57 is an older caliber but maybe someone out there has some old notes on hand. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.....

<saltaparapetos>
posted
Hi 8mmJon: My best reload for 8 mm Mauser is 48.5 grains of IMR 3031 after a 150 grains Speer Spitzer bullet ( no crimp, please) in a Winchester case primed with WLR primer ( 2.700 fps. +/-). It�s a nice shoot, accurate, flat and my friends use it for hunting up to deers. Other load used by a friend when he is after a wild boar is 52.6 grains of IMR 4350 with a 200 grains Speer Spitzer bullet( no data of case and primer). But He always tell that this load is intended for close shooting, because it drops very quickly. The guns used are Brno and German Kar 98 K Mauser. Greetings and pleased to know a Masuer fan.

<8mmJon>
posted
Saltaparapetos. Thanks for the relpy! I have a K98k made in 1941 by Steyr and it's in mint condition. I have been shooting Sierra Pro-Hunter 150 Spitzer bullets, Win S-X brass & Federal 210 primers. So far my best results have been with 48 grains of IMR 4895. I tried IMR 4064 but it's not as stable, group size that is. I have 3031 and plan to shoot it next weekend. I have rounds loaded with 44, 45, 46 & 47 grains respectively. My Mod 98 has been striking high at 100 meters with my most accurate load using 4895. I can't lower the rear sight below 100 m so I'm going to try a lighter load. It's still above 2200 ft. lbs at the muzzle. I'll check out my loads and then consider your 48.5 g load of 3031. I appreciate you sharing your data. Good to talk to a Mauser fan. Outstanding rifle.
Later, 8mmJon

one of us
posted Hide Post
For you old Mauser fans, there is a "Mauser Shooting Association (MSA) on the net in which everyone shares interests ranging from collecting to participating in "shoots" in which everyone sends in their scanned targets.

Great rifles!.....TF

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greetings all. This is my first post - but favorite topic. The 8mm is a real beauty. 8mmJon, While I agree wholeheartedly with Saltaparapetos, I would not give up on the IMR 4064. That stuff really sends them - in 8mm terms. I would try a different 150 GR SP with both of your powders just to make certain that your gun isn't allergic to Sierras.

Thank you Tom F for the heads up. I'll have to visit MSA.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote