New
Find
Notify
Tools

TIGHT CHAMBERING ON 7MM MAG?
 Login/Join

<TROPHYHUNTERS>
posted
MY 7MM CHAMBERS TIGHT AFTER ONE SHOOTING. BRASS IS WITHIN SPECS. BULLET IS SEATED JUST OFF RIFLINGS. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT CHARGE WEIGHT OR POWDER OR BULLET OR PRIMER. BAFFLED!

<Bill>
posted
If the bullet is not enagaging the rifling, you probably have not completely resized the case. This should account for the extra bit of effort required to close the bolt.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<TROPHYHUNTERS>
posted
I HAVE RCBS FULL RESIZE DIES.WHEN I SEET THE BULLET I SEAT IT JUST DEEP ENOUGH SO ITS IS JUST OFF THE RIFLINGS.

<Bill>
posted
Does the bottom of the die come into contact with the shell holder?

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Also, what is the dimension of your loaded neck v.s. the fired neck (before sizing)? What kind of rifle? Do you lube the inside of the neck when sizing? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<TROPHYHUNTERS>
posted
YES, THE SHELL HOLDER COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE DIE ON ITS BOTTOM STROKE WHEN I SET UP THE DE-PRIMING/RESIZING DIES, ID HAVE TO MEASURE THE NECK SIZE BUT TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA A BULLET WILL SLIDE IN WITHOUT HANGING UP AFTER THE BRASS HAS BEEN FIRED. THATS BEFORE I RUN IT THROUGH THE DIES AGAIN?

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Trophy, welcome to the forum, but would you please turn off your caps lock? It's hard to read, and considered the internet equivalent of SHOUTING.

There are really only a few places you can go wrong with sizing. Shoulder, neck and length. Just to be sure, check your case length, and make sure you are not hitting the throat when chambering. I've not seen it happen, but........

If you are camming over you press, you should be in good shape as far as shoulder position, unless your expander ball pulls the neck back out. To check, take a fired case, run it through the sizer die, but leave out the expander ball this time. Chamber the empty round. If this chambers easy, put the expander back in and size another case. Any difference?

If that's not the problem, seat a bullet, and try again (don't bother with primes and powder, you are just trying to solve your sizing problem). Any difference? If so, it's in the bullet seating process, or bullet seating depth.

Let us know what you find. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<TROPHYHUNTERS>
posted
Sorry about the caps lock. I'll try that dutch i've tried about eveything else so i'll let you guys know. Thanks again!

<TROPHYHUNTERS>
posted
hey guys i tried what you told me. What if ound out it was is when i put in my resizing die i always screwed it in until it touched the shell holder and then backed it off 1/4 of a turn it chambers perfectly if i lower it 1/4 of a turn past the shell holder! well thanks for the help!

<TGWoody>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
Also, what is the dimension of your loaded neck v.s. the fired neck (before sizing)? What kind of rifle? Do you lube the inside of the neck when sizing? Dutch.

Dutch:

Do you lube the inside of the neck prior to re-sizing?

It seems logicial to lube, I've have not.

TGW

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Woody, yes and no. Depends on what I am loading for. The reason I like to clean and lube is that it lets the expander ball slide through with less resistance. Seems to improve things by reducing run-out. In this case, if the necks were thick, or the expander rough, sometimes the expander pulls the shoulder forward, causing the hard chambering.

My current policy is to avoid expander balls as much as possible for that reason. That, and although I don't mind the cleaning and lubing, I hate the cleaning the lube from the inside of the neck. Since having discovered bushing and collet dies, it's a moot point, anyway. HTH, Dutch.

<TGWoody>
posted
Again, thanks Dutch!

It looks like I need to discover "Collet Dies" also. I wonder if they make them for 30STW?

Thanks Again

TGW