New
Find
Notify
Tools

expander ball vs no expander
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what, if any are the negative aspects of not using an expander ball during re sizing?

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Under sized neck. (Was that a trick question?)

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Depending on the die set you might end up with a tight neck. I have a number of 3 die set (pistol and rifle) that uses a decapping pin then a mouth expander. No expander might reduce the amount you stretch the neck.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
You can do it. The neck brass needs to be strong though. The bullet being a little larger than the sized neck can cause the mouth to collapse as you seat the bullet.
I have done this in the past with very good results.
Just so you know, it does not stop neck stretch.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I don't use the expander ball on any of my bottle necked cartridges. I use the Lyman 'M' die to expand the case neck and put a small flare at the case mouth.

jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
it does not stop neck stretch

Nope "reduce" can be a long distance from stop. Wink The majority of the neck lengthening comes from the brass needing to move someplace as it is resized. BT bullets normally feed just fine in a tight neck. Flat base might cause you an issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody, I think I will try the Lyman die.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My die set for 30-06 imo over sizes the neck

I lapped out this area so the sizer ball does very little

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On Dangerous game caliber bolt actions and double rifles I reduce the expander ball one to three thousands on a lath or drill press to get a very snug neck and use a powder that compacts lightly with a case full, and then use a light crimp..This method is easy on brass and cases last forever, and your bullets won't move forward from recoil..If you take the expander ball out and can still seat a bullet your chamber is probably overly large or at least sloppy at best. Using an expander on brass cases shortens case life with split necks.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote