THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Why are Hornady's getting such a good reputation.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are Hornady's getting such a good reputation.
 Login/Join

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Seems like they are the best of the non premiums. Now their new sst's seem to get the job done yet very few are recovered carrying a large amount of their weight on tough animals. They seem to have a great accuracy rep too. Has anyone tried cutting one apart and figuring it out?? Is it just that they have a cannelure and that is "just enough" to stop the bullets from "going to pieces" like some other brands seem to?
Anyone have the real story??

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey Don,
I have used them.LOVE those SST!
I did a test useing nosler BT and hornady SST
both were 165gn bullets, loading for 300 win mag useing 75gn RL22 Fed match 215 win brass.
I filled two boxes 2ftx2ft with newspaper
soaked down the paper with water ,placed the boxes out 100 yards and fired. results NoslerBT traveld 8inches and bullet had nothing left but the jacket! the hornady sst traveld 15inches and weight 120gn that's
pretty good .DONT take my word on it try it for your self . reloaderlen
STILL KNOCKING THEM DOWN ONE AT A TIME!

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
<agroman>
posted
you answered your own question....their weight retention on big stuff is marginal... they do just enought to get buy...they are an attempt to beat the accuracy of the tougt premiums but don"t 'completely blow up".The so called intelock is just enought imho to get them in the "controlled" league..but nothing to stick ones chest out about.....The old corelokts did as much...maybe more but remington is coming out with a super corelokt...looks just like the pictures of the "regular" corelokt of the 30's , an 40's.....Now ..presto...we"ll be paying more for what we were supposed to be gettig all along ...maybe remington thing all the old guys died off...( check phi Sharpes complete book of handloading for the isometric of the corelokt circa 1945) later dude

<Bill>
posted
The Hornandy interlock is absoluetely devistating on game and accurate to boot. Just remeber that you can't shoot through the animal length wise and you will be alright.

I have tried the premiums on game such as the Swift Aframe and didn't really care for them. I am convinced that for 99% of you big game hunting the Hornandy will serve you fine.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Its good to hear some positive reviews of a non premium bullet. I have found the Hornady interlocks to shoot better than any other bullet in most of my rifles. I have yet to shoot any big game with them so I'm not sure as to how they perform. I don't mind if the bullet loses some of its weight as long as it still penetrates fairly well. To be honest, I think it adds to the shock that results in the one shot instant kills we all like.

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great performance on whitetails with the interlocks in my .308. Never had a failure. This hunt, shot a good sized 8 pt. buck, a double lung shot at about 220 yds. Was using the 165 gr interlocks. Got a small entrance wound and an exit about the size of a golf ball. Minimal meat damage. The buck ran a little ways then piled up. I've shot them as close as 30 yds, and these results are typical. I am satisfied with their performance as proved out over many years. And, accuracy has always been good in my rifles (for a hunting bullet).

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Krakenberger:
Has anyone tried cutting one apart and figuring it out??

If you go to their website, you can see cutaway views there.

What makes the SST so good is that they took a proven performer (the Interlock) and simply topped it with a polymer tip. So simple and obvious, it's brilliant.

Also, once you see the price of the Hornady's, you'll likely start to resent Nosler a bit. Oh, the price per box is close, but Nosler only gives you 50 bullets, vice Hornady's 100.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to the techs at Hornady about the SST. They said the jacket on the SST is 25 percent heavier than the regular Interlock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Interlocks for many years with great results. This year I've taken 2 caribou and 2 whitetails with them. The 2 caribou were shot with athe 175 gr. from a 7 MM Rem. The 2 whitetails were shot with 154 Gr. from a 7-08 and a 7 MM Rem.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
Count me in as another Hornady fan. Saturday morning I shot a decent sized 11 point whitetail buck using the 165 grain SST in my .300 Weatherby. Distance was about 30 yards. I made a classic rib cage shot. Entrance wound was dime sized, exit wound was slightly larger than a silver dollar. The damage to the internal organs was unreal. This is definitely the bullet for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Although not my first choice of bullet in some instantces, it is a quality bullet at a fair market price...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too like the Hornadys. I'm relatively new to hunting as I only started actively hunting last year although I've been shooting pistols and rifles for the past 25 years.

Last year I took my .375 H&H to South Africa on a game ranch hunt. I used the Hornady 300 grain Interlock round nose loaded to about 2480 fps (chronographed). I took two Impala, a Warthog and a very nice Gemsbok (about 450 lb). Just last August I went on a two day meat hunt at a ranch here in Texas. I took an Eland yearling bull (about 350 lb) and two feral hogs. Again, the ol' .375 H&H with the Hornady 300 gr RN did the job.
IMHO, and admittedly with my very limited experience, the .375, 300 gr RN Hornady will not give the penetration that the super premiums will. For this reason, I try to watch the angle of my shots and refuse to take an extreme rear angle shot on heavier game (like the Gemsbok). But for all around use, I find the Hornady is a good choice. With a frontal shot, it penetrated about 36 inches of my Warthog, front to back, when I shot it from about 15 yards. Classic mushroom and it held together well.

-BOB

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quality Products = Good Reputation

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hornady's are just plain good!

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Don,

"Anyone have the real story??"

Chalk it up to low expectations.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

------------------
"A strong body makes a strong mind. As to the species of exercise, I advise
the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness,
enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and
others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character
on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

<ARCHER>
posted
My family and I have been using Hornady bullets, mostly .30 caliber, for years. Here in Pennsylvania we have had great luck with the 180 grain interlock on whitetails, most of which have been shot with a 30-06. Most recently I have been shooting the 190 grain boattails at 2700 fps in my 30-06. They have killed everything I have shot with them with only one recovered. It was a finishing shot on a buck which was running straight away, damage was extensive and the bullet retained nearly 85% of original weight. The only failure I can remember of any of the bullets was when I shot some 165gr spitzers at near max velocity. They seemed to come apart when striking relatively small twigs, as evidenced by the splatter indicated on nearby smooth barked trees. Also, my brother had one 190gr break apart on an elk front shoulder, the main bone was completely smashed though. This was with a 300 Win. magnum at 2900fps. Three others completely passed through the chest cavity. Accuracy has always been achievable with these bullets.

<Slamfire>
posted
Want an example of perfect bullet performance, shoot something big with a 160 Hornady out of a 6.5x55 or its equivalents. Velocities higher than 2600 at the muzzle seem to be too much though if you're close enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason that I am a Hornady Fan is because,for 30 years,or so,I tried a lot of different make bullets in my various rifles.
Except for my 270 (Rem 700),which preferred Nosler Ballistic Tips,these GENERALITIES,occurred:accuracy--Sierra bullets,performance on Whitetail Deer--Hornady Interlock. For a while,I used Nosler Partitions,but quit after I realized that they performed no better,and were less accurate in any of MY rifles. For the last 15 years,I've relied on Hornady exclusively,and they NEVER have disapointed me.
Frank

------------------
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I have used them for years in my 6 mm Rem and in my 7mm RM. Great results until last weekend. I shot a 100 lb doe at maybe 30yds with a 7mm mag and a 162 BT interlock.The entry wound was the size of a softball. She went down at the shot but got up and took off running.I shot her in the rear end at 70 yds, dead when she hit the ground. I think I'll stay with the Spire Points and get rid of those Boattails.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob, That is very unusual to have a softball size entry. Makes me think possibly you hit a twig or something prior to the bullet hitting the deer, making the bullet tumble. I have used the boat tail interlocks for years, never had anything like that happen with them. For what it's worth, I talked to the Hornady tech rep. the other day, he said the boat tails are as tough as the flat based interlock. (I have heard several people say they think the flat base is tougher). At any rate, I have been using the boat tails for many years, without a failure.... olblue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob you must of hit something between you and the deer. I saw this just the other day with win. 180s the bullet hit a limb and almost to the deers head off at the shoulders.
I see a lot of storys of so call poor bullet preformance but the target dies rather quick If you want complete pentatration go to FMJ they work most of the time.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ppromxman>
posted
This discussion is interesting not only for what is said but also what is NOT. What is apparent is that we all still appreciate value. Most of us have tried all the different manufacturers bullets but many of us keep coming back to those manufacturers who provide a bullet that is very consistent from lot to lot and performs well in the field.
If I my so state (and you all feel free to jump right in here as this is MY opinion) what also seems to bother me and I preceive, a number of shooters is when the hype and marketing start pushing bullet prices beyond what our common good sense says is reasonable, we start to resent it.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies though because we use the word PREMIUM to describe bullets that have been slightly improved and marketing research would say that we are likewise willing to pay PREMIUM dollars for what is actually a product improvement not warranting the price differences we are seeing at the counter.

These discussions about bullets are important to me because they tell me that shooters still have a good sense of what true good value is.

Considering all this, I am not very comfortable with what I see happening in the bullet world today. The bullets are being improved as well they should be, but bullet manufacturers are pushing the pricing envelope and are spending alot of money on marketing with a end goal of getting us to accept that higher prices for bullet improvements is not only reasonable, but to be expected. Additionally, the prices for these improvements is, I believe, being based more on what YOU are willing to PAY according to your thinking, rather than what it would cost to simply improve their products and then passing along only those costs warranted by the improvements. Actually most of the product improvement costs are not that great as far as what any additionaly cost would and should be as far as product improvements are concerned.

You may note....that none of the major bullet manufacturers have gone broke over the years. None of them have merged to lower costs to stay competitive. You do not see them being influenced to any great degree by pressures that have forced manufacturers of other products to constantly examine their cost structures such that they improve their products AND keep their product prices competitively low. Again, this is my opinion....but having owned one bullet company and partnered in another, and this is the view I am left with.

It is the American way and I accept that but I also believe that when I see prices spiraling up as they seem to be, in the name of PREMIUM products, that it is also the American way that new manufacturers WILL start to emerge with good common sense bullet products with improvements over the older designs.....at good common sense prices

Anybody want to start a bullet company?

Kind regards all, and thank be that we have forums like this where once in awhile shooters such as I, can shoot our mouths off. Once in awhile it feels good, especially if we think someone actually listens, even though they may not exactly agree.

Paul Prochko

<Aaron Bushell>
posted
Paul,
Excellent post. I couldn't have said it any better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a hunting aplication but I was tuning up a load for a new 22-250. Had just about all the "match" bullets from the major companies to try. Also had a 500 count box of hornady "bulk bullets" for practice. If you guessed the bulk bullets shot the pants off the high dollar jobs, you are right.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Paul-I've been doing alot of reloading for about 8 yrs now and have to say that with all due respect I have to disagree with you on bullet pricing and performance advances. With the exeption of Nosler which does seem to be aggressive in raising prices there are alot of bargain basement bullets out there that perform excellent at a low $$$. The win power point comes to mind. You can still buy 100 of most calibers from $8-$12 from most suppliers. This price has held consistant over the years. Hornady and sierra seem to be holding prices real well too. If you really want a bargain I think it's either natchez or lock stock and barrel that seems to buy slightly cosmetically flawed bullets from the majors and sells them as such for about $5-$8/ hundred.
Regarding the new high tech bullets--I love em, am willing to pay for them, and in general can't wait to experiment with them.
I have some of Gerards bullets coming from GS customs.
PROFIT is not a dirty word. Companies need profit to stay in business and to do research to keep us moving in this industry.
Bullet quality HAS IMPROVED over the years thanks to new machinery and advances in technology. I DO EXPECT COMPANIES to keep moving us forward with better and better products. I DO NOT expect them to live on the edge of poverty so I can save $1-$2 per box of bullets that don't have concentric jackets etc. etc. I AM IMPRESSED with bullet advances over the past 4 years. I can hardly wait to see what the next 4 will bring!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Don
we are not diagreeing with the fact that you have to pay for premium products just that the run of the mill bullets should perform to a certain standard.
And as for nosler charging twice the price of most bullet manufacturers they can shove them where the sun dont shine!!!
nosler's bullet weight retention in the 2506 is crap.
perhaps there should be a chart detailing bullet weight retention and expansion, then some of these manufacturers of so called premuim bullets, would have to get their act together.

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ppromxman>
posted
Don
I am not sure you understood my point so here goes.

The forum respondents were discussing Hornady bullets, their quality and price increases for product improvements. No mention of bargain basement bullets.

You singled out Nosler and I would also add the manufacturer of the "combined technology" bullets in the black box, which I priced at $28.00 per box per 50 today.

Actually Don, our US made hunting bullets are rather low tech. For high tech bullets check out those designed by and for the military.

What some of the bullet companies are doing is trying to garner greater market share with more "premium" and "high tech" marketing hoopla and that is costing us all more. They are attempting to convince the shooting public that minor bullet improvements are worth "premium" prices! The reason some of us are sensitive to that is we spend huge amount on bullets every year and paying for marketing hype is not our idea of a good time. Between my highpower and Silhouette competition alone I spent over $700.00 last year for bullets, not to mention my general shooting and hunting. I expect good value for the dollar and in some cases we are seeing more hype than solid value for the shooting dollar.

The bullet companies have fared rather well compared to industry in general in this country and no one, not I nor anyone else is suggesting that they should live as starving companies. I don't know where you got that idea.

You mentioned Gerard of GS Custom bullets. I am not sure why in this contex, but I would point out the following:

Gerard is manufacturing a bullet patterned after a design more common to military applications. He is manufacturing to extremely close tolerances and necessarily using equipment (due to the driving bands) not capable of the volume obtainable from typical bullet manufacturing equipment. Considering all this he is really holding the line on cost and his bullets are a bargain !! If you doubt that, check out the price of bullets (of similar type manufacturer) from Lost River Bullet Technologies.

more later.....

Paul Prochko

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My friends and I have been using Hornies for about 98% of our hunts. We use the 100 gr Boattails in 6mm rem, 117 BT in 25-06, 129 and 140 in the 6.5's, 130 in 270, 139, 154 162 Bt in 7 mm rem mag, 165, 180 bt and 180 Sp in the 30-06, 300 win mag and 308 Norma, 338 225 sp in 338 win mag and 270 gr in the 378 WBY MAG.

We have taken antelope deer and elk and we never ever had a failure. Some of these shots were very close including the 180 BT 308 out of a Norma mag and the 270 gr out of my 378 WBY MAG both at very close range at huge elk.

The only bullet out of the ones listed that I was not entirely satisfied with its performance is the 162 Bt 7mm at 3000 fps+ mv. This bullet has taken deer antelope and elk and works great at long range, but at closer range I prefer something stouter. In my humble opinion the 154 Sp will do better.

Cutrrently in my whole arsenal I use Hornadies for every single gun save two. 180gr Sciroccos in my 300 Ultra, and 270 Failsafe and Barnes XLC in my 378 Wby MAG.

Bottom line...great workin man's bullet!

------------------
"If she won't shoot MOA or better... out she goes!"

[This message has been edited by POP (edited 11-25-2001).]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with everyone who says Hornady makes a good bullet. Their boat tails are the only ones I know of that has a decent way of keeping core and jacket together on impact.

There is one slight downside to them, though. The geometry of the nose is more nearly conical than most other brands. That shifts weight slightly farther back, and, in my guns, makes for a shorter COL before the bullet contacts the lands. In my Browning '06, I have to use .1" shorter COL. So the net is that you have two factors making for slightly less case capacity, and slightly lower muzzle velocities.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Its simple. They work and the price is right. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I began reloading last winter and was finally able to try out my handloads on game yesterday. Hornady Interlocks 165 gr BTSP 30-06 loaded to 2800 fps. I shot a doe @ 45 yards, she dropped with a silver dollar size hole both in and out. Upon cleaning her, I found that I blew the top of her heart off, it was loose in the chest cavity, unattached.
My little brother shot 2 doe's 10 minutes earlier with one shot. Same handloads. Full penetration and what I can only assume was a perfect mushroom. On the second doe the bullet must of hit a shoulder bone and split in two as there were 2 exit holes angling off the entrance wound. Both were decent size holes.
Can't ask for petter performance than that, can I?
2 shots and 3 deer to test my handloads with.
I was impressed to say the least.

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Hellrazor>
posted
I have been using hornady interlocks for a while now in a 243. They are tied with nosler BT's as my favorite and most accurate bullet. Some 100gr interlocks in a 42.6gr/4831 load for the 243 produced a 3 shot grouping at .55". And i was in a hurry shooting, could be better i would think.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I am a strong proponent of the Hornadys, but I'll offer the results of my recent trip to Zimbabwe using a 300 Weatherby loaded with factory 180gr Hornadys as a precaution: I shot an impala at 80 yards facing me with a slight quartering away. Bullet hit right on the point of the shoulder, the aniaml dropped in his tracks and i recovered the bullet on the offside rear ham. It weighed 85grains with just about the whole core gone. It was a clean kill, but what if the animal had been say, an eland shot in the same place? Just something to think about. My recommendation is that Hornadys are great bullets BElOW 2800 fps. Above that, you better switch to a premium. My choice are Swift A Frames. Jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<danev2>
posted
Figured I would put my $.02 in with this fine discussion. I like Hornady's too.
Great bullet for the price. period
Maybe not the finest thing made, and not the best bullet for all types of applications.
But as an analogy, not everyone can afford a Rolls, Ferrari, or Mercedes SUV.
For most of us, the used 4x4 truck is what can can afford and we make the most of it.

That said,
I shot a really big Badger here in Utah with a 150 gr Hornady something cheap off the shelf bullet (30-06 gun) went in the front part of the neck above the chest and right out clean about 1" from his asshole. (Insert jokes here) I was about 100yds away.
Next I had a 130 gr Hornady cheap bullet I shot a coyote in the neck about 75 yds. I must have hit it right in the neck bones because I detached the head off it's body,I kid you not, found it about 10 feet away
So there..

Dane V

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Don,

I have been using Hornady Spire Points and Speer Grand Slams recently, and both of these bullets are giving me about 85% weight retained. The bullets don't look as perfect as do the premiums I have recovered (which usually retain about 95% and look like magazine photos).

Accuracy is also good from my hunting rifles.

I guess I would label them as "good enough". Remember the Chinese proverb that the excellent is the enemy of the good.

IIRC the secant ogive design used on the Spire Point gives a shorter bullet shank in contact with the bore, and a bit more muzzle velocity from lower bore friction.

jim

jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Hornady bullets for around 30 yrs and have never had a problem.They always open(sometimes a little more than some like to see) but they always seem to get the job done. I've shot a lot of deer with the 270/130 comb and the 280/139 comb with very similar results. This year I decided to acid test some of the new 139 SST in my 7mm Wby @ 3400fps. I took a 250 lb whitetail high in the lungs at about 275 yds.The bullet broke a rib on the way in one on the way out and there was some damage to the bottom of the backbone. Wether this was a bullet fragment or a rib fragment I couldn't tell. The lungs were like a lump of bad jelly.The buck slid further than he ran after the shot. Would I use them again ?? dam rights I will. Just wish they would make a 160 gr 7mm cal bullet in the SST.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<KHH>
posted
I had an interesting experience this week. I shot a smallish 8 pt. whitetail, maybe 180-190lbs.live, with a 300 Win mag. I used a 180 Hornady sp. flat base over a full charge of RL22. I tried to break his shoulders so he wouldn't run. He was broad side at 80 yards. When I shot I was shocked to see him run. The bullet broke the shoulder on the near side and was found against the far shoulder bone. The far shoulder was not broken. What was left of the bullet weighed 49 grs. I was disapointed in the fact that the bullet didn't pass through . He travel only 35 yards after the hit and the bullet clearly did it's job. but despite 6" of snow I saw no blood what so ever.I would have thought this bullet would have passed right through breaking both shoulders. I had simuilar experience's with 180 Serria bt.with the same rifle.They broke up on a couple of deer. Including a heavy 8 pt, at 35 yards it peneterated only 4" after hitting the shoulder. again he traveled only 35 yards before expiering but I expected better. I plan on a 180 partion or 165 x or failsafe next year.Having said that I'll say Hornady flat base bullets shoot great in all my guns 7MM Rem mag 139/154gr 30-06 / 300 win 165/180 gr 338 Win mag 200/225/250 gr. good hunting.. LW

<Gary Rihn>
posted
It sounds like a bunch of happy Hornady shooters. Maybe it's time I go back & give them a chance. I've had a sour taste about Hornady for the past 10 years or so. I bought some back then cause they were on the lower end of the price scale (that seems to still be an attractant to some posters). I don't remember exact details as to which specific bullets they were, however I do remember this. I had 224 and 308 bullets. In both, I found little J shaped, kinda squiggly, cracks in the jackets, starting at the nose & extending back approximately 1/8", then hooking back forward. They weren't "fresh cracks" in the copper, but appeared to be defects in the jacket material before being formed. I took a handful from each box & sent them to Hornady with a letter explaining the situation. I even took a few of them, ran a black marker over the crack, and rubbed the rest off to highlight the crack. I received a letter back that basically said "it ain't a problem", that happens a lot, to shoot them, and don't worry about it. I thought, well, if it happens a lot, and they are admitting it, I'll just let it happen to someone else. I haven't used a Hornady bullet since. Their attitude left a lasting impression...

<Royce Gladden>
posted
Gary Rihn,

I like Hornady's Light Magnum performance
in my 6.5x55 Ruger M77. But like you I have
found an inordinate number of cracked cases
after firing. They start at the base of the
neck and extend down onto the shoulder of
the cartridge. Given the relatively modest
pressures that the Light Magnum is generating
in the Swede, I don't believe that the cracks
are the result of a pressure problem. These
are new cartridges fired right out of the
box. I have not encountered similar problems
with cases from Remington or Winchester that
I have fired with some pretty stiff reloads.
This is a manufacturing problem.

Regards, Royce

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snoman, Hornady is making a 154gr.7MM SST now. Maybe someday they'll make a 162.

I read somewhere,(think it was in rifle shooter), that Hornady uses 5% antimony lead in the SST. That coupled with the interlock and cannelure limits expansion and aids in weight retention.

Paul, I disagree to the point of bullet companies charging more that they should to cover advancements in bullet design. R&D departments can gobble up huge amounts of money before a new design hits the market. How would we know about the new bullets if they don't advertise? The exception to this is of course Nozler. They quit selling ballistic bombs by the 100, went to boxes of 50, but kept the price the same.

I quit using the ballistic bombs last year after numerous fragmentation failures in medium sized whitetail. Went with the then new 139 SST for my .280 and my son's 7-08. The kid got a 140# doe at about 150 yds. with a muzzle vel. of 2850. It sounded like you hit it with a 2x6 board in the chest. Damage inside the chest cavity was incredible, entrance and exit wounds were about the same size.

This year I got the new 300 WSM. I started right off with the 165 SST, tried some 180 SST's but settled on the 165's. No luck with testing them on game this year, no shots yet. On targets they are quite accurate. A few groups under an inch but the load I settled on shoots one inch consistently at 3125 fps. Going out tomorrow for a late "T" zone hunt, may still get a shot.

------------------
if you run, you just die tired

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote