Find
Notify
Tools

Loading for 6PPC?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PJS50
posted
I had an old shooting friend pass away and in meeting his son, who now owns my friend's guns, the son said he has no ammo to be able to shoot dad's guns. Of course, with the zombie apocalypse right around the corner any day, there is no factory loaded ammo to be found for sale either.
His dad used to reload (but the son has no clue). so I told him with the components his dad did have, I'd load him some ammo.
The .40S&W for the Glock he got and the .223/5.56mm for the AR he got are not going to be a problem since I've loaded both of those for decades...
BUT, dad had a beautiful Cooper bolt gun in 6PPC too...

Does 6PPC have the same case head as 7.62X39?
In looking online, I see 6PPC described as "The parent cartridge for the 6PPC is the .220 Russian (5.6×39mm), which in turn derives from the 7.62×39mm".

So, in all of that "development" will my 6.5Grendel shellholder work for 6PPC too, since Grendel is also derived from 7.62X39.

I haven't gotten the components yet, but I'd thought I'd try and see what I got myself into before I see the son again.

Posts: 177 | Location: MI. | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6PPC is a form of wildcat cartridge highly favored by the benchrest crowd. Be careful! This is not off the shelf reloading. Rifles are custom and made to exacting specifications.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don’t know what the parent of the 6ppc is, but I’ve loaded for it for a couple years and the 22ppc for much longer. My 6pps is a factory Sako A1 sporter. Unless his rifle has some type of tight neck chamber, loading for the 6 ppc is not any more difficult than other center fire rifle loads. I use Norma brass, Benchmark powder, REM 7.5 primers, and 65 grain V max bullets and use it for coyote calling

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As far as you are concerned, for loading for it, it really is no different to any cartridge.

You need to find a way to load a cartridge that will fit the chamber.

First thing to do is look at the barrel of the rifle.

If the one you have is a custom bench gun with a tight neck, it will be on the barrel.

It will have something like 0.262 neck engraved on it.

It it has this, it means you will need to turn the necks down, and it will be a 6PPC.

If it has no neck dimensions, just buy 6PPC brass and dies and load them.

There is also factory rifles chambered for a modified version of this.

It is called 6MM PPC USA.

You can get brass from several makers for this, and dies to suit too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68789 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the PPC line was built off the eternal dims of the 7.62x39, but with much better spec brass

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the main difference between the 7,62x39 case and the ppc is the ppc uses a snall primer forming from 7,62 to either 22 or 6mm ppc using r4emmy brass vs ww brass is remmy uses s small primer and ww a large - i shoot both and for my use (pd's) i find no difference- h335 works well

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PJS50
posted Hide Post
OK,
So the case head IS the same dimension as 7.62X39, so my Grendel shell holder should work for that then.

The rifle he got is not a benchrest gun, I beleive it's a Cooper model 22/standard bolt action sporting type rifle but in 6PPC caliber.

The son is giving me all his dad's dies for the caliber since I don't normally load that one, so that will be nice.

The son told me that the brass he has for this caliber is mostly Norma and that it sounds like the dad was also only neck sizing the fired brass for this gun too as the son said dad had the brass sorted in groups and it appears some of the brass he has has already been sized and chamber checked by is dad. If so, I'll used one of these cases to set up the dies initially.

I guess he also has a bunch of powder which should be suitable for this and .223 caliber.
H335, 8208XBR are a couple names that he told me which come to mind right now.
Either way, I figure I'll just fill the cases to the top and jamb a bullet in the neck. That should be OK....

rotflmo Big Grin shocker tu2

Posts: 177 | Location: MI. | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
I really don’t know what the parent of the 6ppc is, but I’ve loaded for it for a couple years and the 22ppc for much longer. My 6pps is a factory Sako A1 sporter. Unless his rifle has some type of tight neck chamber, loading for the 6 ppc is not any more difficult than other center fire rifle loads. I use Norma brass, Benchmark powder, REM 7.5 primers, and 65 grain V max bullets and use it for coyote calling

Sako 6mm PPC rifles are chambered for a cartridge developed by Sako know as the 6mmPPC-USA. It is slightly different from the 6mmPPC found being used by most competitive shooters. Many of them make their own brass by reforming the .220 Russian and turning the necks down to the tight chambered .262 in their rifles. Sako at one tome made brass for the commercial market and Norma made and continued to make 6mmPPC-USA brass for quite a while after Sako quit. 6PPC is an incredibly accurate cartridge and is very easy on the brass. You can usually reload the brass a surprising number of times. If you shoot it, you will love it. I get 3400fps using H-322 behind a 62.5gr Watson in my custom built 6 with a tight neck, and h-322 behind a 70gr Nosler in my Sako 6mmPPC-USA. It really feeds my ego when I look at the targets~!

Posts: 251 | Location: florida | Registered: 20 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
As far as you are concerned, for loading for it, it really is no different to any cartridge.

You need to find a way to load a cartridge that will fit the chamber.

First thing to do is look at the barrel of the rifle.

If the one you have is a custom bench gun with a tight neck, it will be on the barrel.

It will have something like 0.262 neck engraved on it.

It it has this, it means you will need to turn the necks down, and it will be a 6PPC.

If it has no neck dimensions, just buy 6PPC brass and dies and load them.

There is also factory rifles chambered for a modified version of this.

It is called 6MM PPC USA.

You can get brass from several makers for this, and dies to suit too.

Sadly, there were some factory built rifles that did not mark the barrels to designate which 6mm PPC chamber it had. Sako marked theirs 6MM PPC-USA which was the standard neck size and not a .262 or some other tight neck. I just passed on a Kimber because the barrel was stamped 6mm PPC. It took some research to discover that it was a PPC-USA and by that time the rifle was gone. I tried to call Kimber, but as you know the old Kimber of Oregon is gone. I'll just have to stick with Sako. I know their rifles and they are terrific shooters.
The caliber is incredibly accurate, easy on brass and easy on the barrel. I don't know why the brass seems to be no longer available. Carefully prep the virgin cartridges, load, shoot, neck size only, and reload it. You'll more than likely be able to reload that cartridge as many as 10 times. A 70gr Nosler over H-322 is a one-holer~!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, I'm looking for a Sako Vixen Hunter right now. Got one you want to sell~??