New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhino Bullets 375 cal Solid Shank 380 gn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have hunting experience with these bullets ? I picked these up here but have never used them personally although I'm interested to give them ago. The Rhino website quotes Johan Calitz and Kevin Robertson giving favourable comment and I would appreciate comment from American hunters, and a certain UAE hunter, who might have taken African game with these. Thankyou.

Pic shows the bullet against a Barnes TSX 300 gn.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looks to me like it would work just fine.

long heavy bullets seem just to do that.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would never consider using any bullet heavier than 300 grains in a 375.

NEVER.

Experience so far has shown me they just work.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not an American and I don't shoot a .375.

But I have been using Rhino bullets for hunting almost exclusively since the early 2000's, in .308 and 7mm.

I love them.

They don't have a great BC and are thus best suited to short-range work, but they are extremely tough while also expanding reliably at velocities lower than lathe-turned hollow points can typically match. Never had more than a couple of grains of lost weight and somehow they seem to put game down quicker than other bullets I have used (but this is of course hugely subjective). I theorize that it's due to their relatively flat meplats, but I have used other, even flatter bullets too.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
Something interesting, A guy I know is going to Zim and he asked his PH about solids and he told him that since he was using Swift A-Frames he didn't need solids. Last time I went for Dangerous Game I loaded solids and soft. That was a few years ago. I'm going this year, so I went through
the pain in butt process of getting my soft and solids to print as close as possible. After doing that, I thought I'll ask my PH about solids and he said they are not necessary since I'm using Barnes bullets.
I wish I would've asked that question first instead of assuming.
When i get there, I'm going to ask him to expand on the why.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Solids were recommended years ago because of poor penetration of softs available at the time.

Barnes X and similar bullets would penetrate a buffalo legthways.

I have seen it many times.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote