New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old brass....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just bought a used Savage 99 in 300 savage. Along with the rifle, I got six boxes of reloads from the son of the now deceased owner. I disassembled all the rounds. (he was a preacher, but I'm real fussy about unknown reloads) Anyway, started to push out the primers and noticed some fit the shell holder proper and others were a real tight fit. The headstamps were either Peters or Super-X. So it's a little bit older stuff. My question is, was the tight/loose fit due to poorer tolerances back in the day or should I just pitch it all and start over with new brass?

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the brass had been shot before the gentleman reloaded it I would definatly chuck it. If not ???????????????

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bob and toss it. No telling how many and with what they were loaded.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tombo, I agree with both the above posts.

The M99 is an outstanding rifle to "carry" because of the way the rifle fits my hands. But, they are notorious for Insipient Case Head Separations(ICHS) due to the Rear Lock-Up design.

I can recommend re-forming 7.62NATO or 308Win "Military" cases and then trimming them to the 300Sav length. Here is one place where a Lathe style Trimmer is indeed nice.

But even then, it is best to check the Cases with the old "L-Shaped" Feeler Gauge to check for ICHS after EVERY firing.

Keep your Loads on the mild side and you should be able to get 3-5 Reloads per case. But once you feel the Groove with the Feeler Gauge, toss them.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my brain knew this but some of this brass is pretty old and in my heart I really wanted to use this stuff as the rifle is a 1937 model. hiho hiho it's off to the trash can I go....

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote