New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum primers vs Regular in .44 mag
 Login/Join

<HKG3>
posted
Reading an earlier post I am still some what confused on using regular or Magnum Primers.

I am new to all this and have read the lymans book that says magnum primers are used in calibers with the magnum name but there load data for .44 Mag is using regular large pistol primers (CCI 300).

If anyone could shed more light on this it would be great.

Thanks and Hats off to all the contributors of this Board.

<heavy varmint>
posted
Magnum primers are not needed with all 44mag. loads but I have no reason not to use them so I do.

<jagtip>
posted
HKG3....The only time that the magnum primer may be necessary is when slow powders like W296 or H110 are being used.Interestingly enough,many manuals have recommended them when 2400 is used,even though the early Hercules manuals stated the opposite.Elmer Keith was no fan of the magnum pistol primer and no one used 2400 more than he did.They raise pressures when all else is equal so if you switch to them in a heavy load,be sure to back off a bit and work back up.I've been using standard primers with 2400 for years and have gotten very good results.I've also used them with perfect success with W296 but much conventional wisdom says to use the magnum primer there so who am I to argue?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Hk, on colder days w/ ball type powders like H110 & W296, I use the mag primers. If your are sh0oting Blue Dot, 2400, etc. then I think you'll find the std. caps fine.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Hk,

I am with Jagtip on this one. For powders like W296, H110 & AA9 use them. I have tried both with the heavy loads and the Mag primers provides much better results. The 2400 loads, i can offer no advice. With the faster burning powders like W231, AA2 & Unique stick to the standards.

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
I use magnum primers for bulkier powders in handguns. I use them most of the time for Hodgdon HS-6. It's bulky compared to other pistol powders. Also, H-110 gets a magnum primer. But then I use mag primers in 45 ACP loads for a 5" bbl.

Work up the load. Increased pressures result with mag primers, but not so you're going to blow your gun apart -- assuming a modern gun in good mechanical order.

Standard load data these days provides ample safety margins precisely because of all the variables involved in reloading.

I'd never use a mag primer for "hot" powder like Bullseye or Unique. Not needed.

<stans>
posted
I don't load for 44, but I do load 357. I use magnum primers with H-110, AA-#9 and W-296, never with fast or medium burning rate powders.