New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 6mm??
 Login/Join

<1_pointer>
posted
I am planning on building a break open single shot (Encore)in 6mm to shoot 'yotes mainly and possibly pronghorns and deer with and was wondering what you would suggest?? The gun will be wearing a 27" barrel. Thanks for any and all advice.

[This message has been edited by 1_pointer (edited 12-28-2001).]

posted Hide Post
How about a 6mm-.284 or a 6mm-06?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6mm Gibbs, 244 H&H, 6mm-300 Weatherby

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Actually with a barrel that long either .243 win. or 6mm rem. would be plenty fast. Use 100 grain partitions.

<1_pointer>
posted
I'm sorry, I should have given a little more background info. I am new to rifles and reloading, but I still want something 'different'. I had considered the 6/284 or 6mm RemAI. After a little research I felt I could handle forming these cases. However, I appreciate all the suggestions. I do have a few more questions. For the 240Gibs, how hard is brass to form? How does it compare to the two chamberings mentioned above?? and with the 244 H&H how hard is brass to come by?? In Cartridges of the World they list the 6/284 as getting 3600fps with a 70gr bullet and the 6mmAI as getting 3900fps. Is there really that much difference in the two. Anyone have experience with either of the Lazzeroni cartridges in 6mm???

Thanks for all the input, I'm looking for all opinions before I start this project this summer.

[This message has been edited by 1_pointer (edited 12-28-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but the words new to rifles and reloading and wildcat do not mix very well.

I personaly would get a 6mm rem and have some fun. The Hornady Light Magnum ammunition will reach these wildcat velocities with none of the fuss and there is a bunch of varmint weight available too.

When you get to reload something like 6mm rem is likely to be easier and better.

If you think it's boring remember it was once a wildcat 6mm/7x57 complete with 'improved' shoulder.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Jn316>
posted
I agree with 1894 on this. Wildcat reloading is not a novice or newbee activity.

I suggest that choosing a 6mm Rem to go with on this rifle. Then as your experience and knowledge grows that rifle could be rechambered for something more exotic. Maybe as a 6mm AI or as a 6mm/06. The 240 Gibbs that was mentioned, I would place that case in the catagory of 'advanced wildcating.'

........Ray

[This message has been edited by Jn316 (edited 12-28-2001).]

<1_pointer>
posted
Thanks. That seals the deal. I can wait for the wildcats. By the way, what kind of velocities could I expect out of a 27" barrel with the 6mm??? Is 3500 with 95gr. feasible you think?

<Jn316>
posted
3500 fps with a 95g from a 6mm Rem is unreasonable. Not gonna happen. 3200 would be a more realistic ceiling.

The very first thing I advise to do is to go buy a reloading manual and read it. All the major bullet manufactures have one. You will find them at your local gun shop that also sells reloading supplies. Or you may have an aquaintence that has some that would loan you one. This way you can see what your choices are and what to expect as far as performance will be.

........ Ray

<1_pointer>
posted
JN- Thanks for the info. I was just wondering, because Cartridges of the World shows that the AI version gets over 3500fps with a 95gr. partition out of a 26" barrel. It has to be noted though that this data came from Quickload and kept pressure under 65,000. I just didn't know if the extra inch of barrel would get me there. Thanks for the info though.

<Varmint Hunter>
posted
I agree with all the comments posted by Jn316.
I would suggest you start with either a 243Win or 6mm Rem. After you have considerable handloading experience and some additional loading and measuring equipment, then it may be time for the next step. An Ackley Improved chamber is a good 2nd step before venturing into full blown wildcats. Some wildcats require much more work,experience and knowledge then others.
The Ackleys will give you a new challenge and increased performance. You can have your existing barrel rechambered very inexpensively and can expect to still get reasonably long barrel life if you load within conservative limitations.
Wildcats are a lot of fun (and work) but are NOT for the novice shooter/loader.
Good luck - shoot safe
VH

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to have more fun than you can stand plus have the most accurate 6mm, you should try the 6mmBR where BR stands for BenchRest. Not as hot as a .243 but boy howdy do they shoot.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote