New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 STW
 Login/Join

<jcooper>
posted
I shoot a 30STW (8mm Rem Mag Necked down to 30 cal.) I've been mostly reloading with 168gr HPBT with 84gr of Reloader-22. I get about 3650fps at the end of the barrel.

I'm seeking to change powder and bullet configerations. I'm looking for some suggestions for loading a Berger 210gr HPBT with Reloader-22 and/or Big Game for long range effect.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
How long is your barrel?I can only get 3495fps with a 168gr Match King out of my 300 ultra with a 26inch barrel.Maybe I should try Rl22.I'm getting 3058fps with 220gr MK's using Rl25 and H1000.

------------------
My wife told me if I buy another gun she would leave me.I hope the door does not hit her on the way out!!!!!

<jcooper>
posted
The Krueger barrel is 31" plus a 2"+/- mussel break. (1 1/2 round)

This gun is a flat shooter. :~]

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jcooper:
[B]I shoot a 30STW (8mm Rem Mag Necked down to 30 cal.) I've been mostly reloading with 168gr HPBT with 84gr of Reloader-22. I get about 3650fps at the end of the barrel.

I haven't heard of this round being called this before,the one i have is stamped
30X8MM MAG.
Did Layne Simpson take credit for this one also?

I'm seeking to change powder and bullet configerations. I'm looking for some suggestions for loading a Berger 210gr HPBT with Reloader-22 and/or Big Game for long range effect.

I have a Rem 700 BDL with a Douglas 27" tube.
My favorite load to date is 85.5 gr of 7828,
Federal primer,Remington brass,200gr Nosler Partition.
This load averages 3125 fps with only a 12fps deviation.At 200 yds it will consistently cloverleaf as long as the shooter does his part,my wife and 13 yr old son shoot this rifle with no ill effects on their personage.
I reguarly shoot out to 600 yds with the occassional 800yd shots.
Dennis

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
<rock42>
posted
I think this is also called a 300 jarrett. of course layne simpson invented it. layne simpson invented the gun and telescopic sights and also invented the internet.

<Big Stick>
posted
One of mine is stamped 300Super(by Jim Cloward). The other 30-8mmRemMag. Same critter as the 30STW,etc.

My 30" McMillan barrel,makes the same speeds as those given by jcooper. I lose about 150fps,when using the 26" barrel..........