New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brake Care
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought a rifle with muzzle brake (never had one before) its removable. Seems I should remove it to clean the gun, how should I clean the brake? What does it usually cost to have a plain end made to go in its place?

Posts: 34 | Location: Kirksville, MO | Registered: 17 April 2001Reply With Quote
<21dealerdave>
posted
Always be sure to remove the muzzlebrake before you clean. Otherwise your cleaning patch will be caught on the sharp edges inside the brake and it is a real hassle to get the patch out.
Brakes generally do not need cleaning. If you feel you must, then use a cheap "bottle brush" soaked with Hoppe's #9. Clean from the threaded end of course.
Make your own thread protecter for use when walking through the woods by finding a hex nut with correct threads and grind off the points on the nut.
I have muzzle brakes on most of my rifles.
Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by BB:
Just bought a rifle with muzzle brake (never had one before) its removable. Seems I should remove it to clean the gun, how should I clean the brake? What does it usually cost to have a plain end made to go in its place?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also get someone to make you up a little threaded ring of metal the same diameter & colour as your barrel to screw on when break is off. This may be a little more asthtically pleasing for you.

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote