New
Find
Notify
Tools

N135 and 6.5/6 TCU
 Login/Join

<UCLADave>
posted
Does anyone use N135 in a 6.5 or 6 TCU. I'm looking for load data. I haven't been able to find any info. I need a starting load for fireforming cases and a max load. As far as bullets go, I'll be using 120 and 100's in the 6.5 TCU and 80's in the 6 TCU. I'd be grateful for any help.

Thanks,

Dave

<AKI>
posted
Hi Dave. I have no experience of the TCUs but I made a wildcat, something like 30-222 Rem max Improved, and did some maths around these case volumes and calibers. Using the formulae in Geoffrey Kolbes A Ballistic Handbook the N135 seems to be a bit slow for the job. Please note that I used a "usable case wolume" of 25.5 grains of water (223 Rem case). It should be close but nothing to base a max load on.
N135 might work in the 6 though N133 should be closer. In the 6.5mm N130 should be close to filling the case, but N133 and even N120 should work. I would personally start at 18gr N133 in both calibers though I don�t recommend it for anyone else. Max loads are rifle specific and should be approached slowly and with great caution. Take care! AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
UCLADave

I�m not sure exactly how the 6 TCU look like, if Im�not all wrong it�s a 6mm/.223??

I�ve made a 6/.223 for a good friend and we use N-133 in that rifle with 70 gr bullets. I would say that N-135 is a bit slow in that case.

We have tried loads up to about 28 gr. with N-133, but up there the pressure signs was quite obvious. We satteled for about 26 gr of N-133 for roe deers and black grouse.

I fireformed cases with 18 gr of N-130 and 70 gr. bullets.

Hey AKI!

Have you tried the 9,3 Oryx bullets yet

I got two really nice sixpointers and a spiker in Bamb�le Sep 1

It will probably take a loooong time before I shoot three roe bucks in one day again

Stefan

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
I�m not sure exactly how the 6 TCU look like, if Im�not all wrong it�s a 6mm/.223??

Yup, that's right. The TCU's are .223's necked up with no other changes made. The 6, 6.5 and 7 TCU are quite common in handgun silhouette over here. According to the folks I've talked to and the loads used by them, most use Norma 200 or N 133 in the 6 and 6.5. I've shot both of those with N 133 and the cases were just about full even with 125 gr Partitions in the 6.5, so N 135 is probably not a good choice.

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mats:
Yup, that's right. The TCU's are .223's necked up with no other changes made
-- Mats

Uh nope - actualy the TCUs are 'improved' so taper, shoulder angle and neck length are all changed.....

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 10-05-2001).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
Uh nope - actualy the TCUs are 'improved' so taper, shoulder angle and neck length are all changed.....

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 10-05-2001).]

Thanks buddy... When I read your piece, I though: Huh? I had to go check a 7 TCU case I had lying around, and sure as a cow milks, it was wider at the shoulder. But the shoulder seems to be in the same place..? What are the specs, anyone know?

Anybody have a crow, BTW?

-- Mats

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mats:

Anybody have a crow, BTW?

-- Mats

A crow???
You need a crow (Corvus cornix)??

Why???

Of course I have a crow(and some jackdaw, seagull, marten, fox and the tail of a beaver) in my freezer for my dog to practice with

PerN

[This message has been edited by PerN (edited 10-06-2001).]

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by PerN:
A crow???
You need a crow (Corvus cornix)??

Why???

'Cause they taste better than Corvus Corone...

-- Mats

<UCLADave>
posted
Mats,

40 degree shoulder VS 23 degree.

Thant's the difference.

Dave

<AKI>
posted
Mats&Per! The grey and black swedish crows are Corvus corone cornix (sometimes erroneously called C. cornix), whereas english crows are totaly black and of the subspecies Corvus corone corone. Don�t know about the taste.

Stefan. I have only tested a few loads. Got my dies only last week as well as a cold... Congrats for you successful visit on the islands! AKI

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dave: I don't have data for N135, but there is data for the 6.5 TCU in the current Sierra Handgun reloading manual. It is an intriguing cartridge, and I once had a 10-inch Contender barrel for it.

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AKI
You got me
you are totally right

I was so stunned over Mats request that I checked if crow really mean the bird at a lexicon and they come up with the Corvus cornix and I just copied it

Thanks again Aki
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
Whell Per, you newer know what a Homo sapiens umeaoensis might come up with, do you. Especially those of the subsubspecies of H.s.u.sex�enhalvfilissimus AKI