THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Forster Co-Ax reloaders -Best height to mount press for easy use?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forster Co-Ax reloaders -Best height to mount press for easy use?
 Login/Join

posted
I have just purchased a Co-Ax press and think that it would be better to find a way to mount the press at a lower level than the standard bench top height, for reloading from a seated position. Am I way off base on this? With the lever up above you it would seem to be more comfortable if it was lower than say the top of the bench as you would a Rockchucker, Redding, Lee, etc.

Maybe I am thinking too much about this. Just wondering what other users of this press have found in your experience using it.

Thanks,

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best press height is an individual thing, not "group think".

Mount it so you don't have to bend over to fully depress the lever. That will put the die access area high enough you can easily see it and all will be well.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim. As usual I try to create my own trouble without assistance Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKinneyMike:
Thanks Jim. As usual I try to create my own trouble without assistance Smiler

Mike,
You may not know the mounting height but you have picked one of the very best reloaders. In my book the CO-AX Press is the very best.

berylh

posted Hide Post
Thanks Berylh. I did a lot of looking a reading before I decided on the Co-Ax. I have used an older model Rockchucker that my father in law passed sown to me for a few years.
I am finishing up my dedicated reloading room (nice sized reclaimed space above the garage). Just got the first tape coat on the ceiling and walls this morning. Went to Lowe's yesterday and picked up a new window AC unit for it. I am slower than a snail at this kind of stuff, but I will getter' done shortly.
Going to build myself a new bench for all my efforts. Really the old bench is too heavy to move out of the garage so it will go back to be part of my woodworking tools Smiler
This is a great site and I have always enjoyed ready and learning from everyone here. I joined about 2 years ago, but just lurk, until today. Not sure I can be of much help to anyone so I will probably just go back on lurk mode Smiler Thanks again for the assitance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Welcome to AR.

I have my presses, RCBS and Bonanza Co Ax mounted to a big desk like is used in a Lawers office, that has an overhang across from where the drawers are.

It is 25 1/2" high. I do all my loading setting down.

My powder measures and scale are on a shelf 10.5" above the desk top.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You could help me out by letting me know what you think of the press after you use it a while. I love the other forster products i have used and would like to get one of thier presses when money allows. Give me an update if you would. Thanks.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curtis

I have been reloading since 1967.

I have used a lot of different presses, including turret, single stage and progresssive machines, as well as bench rest type "stuff" with handheld dies and an arbour press.

IMHO the Bonanza Co Ax is the best press, bar none, that uses normal reloading dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Curtis

I have been reloading since 1967.

I have used a lot of different presses, including turret, single stage and progresssive machines, as well as bench rest type "stuff" with handheld dies and an arbour press.

IMHO the Bonanza Co Ax is the best press, bar none, that uses normal reloading dies.

From what i can see on the forster sight, it sure looks like what you said is true. How is the priming feature? I currently use a lee autoprime, which i am relatively happy with, but it could be imporved upon. Also, is it really as easy to resize as the ad says? The main selling point to me is that is seems very precise. I am of the mindset that "only accurate rifles are interesting" like the good colonel said, and machinery is the same. It seems very precise and quality in make.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The riming feature works very good it has good "feel".

I handprime some of my calibres with a Sinclair "machine" and I have used a Lee hand primer a well. I use an RCBS priming machine a lot as well. The Bonanza primer sustem is a good one.

The design of the Co AX pretty much eleminates any misalingment between the press the dies and the ram/shell holder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKinneyMike:
I ... think that it would be better to find a way to mount the press at a lower level than the standard bench top height, for reloading from a seated position.

Judging from the position of the Co-Ax handle (on top of the press - in contrast to most other presses), I think that is probably a sensible expectation. Exactly what would fit you depends on the height of your seat, your height etc.

Nice press, the Co-Ax. I love mine, but still prime on my Lee AutoPrime.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you one and all for the input. As stated I have become accustomed to the "O" clamp style, with the handle pivoting below the bench surface height. I have not even gotten the Co-Ax out its box yet as I am still working on the new reloading room (have we bypassed Spring and shot straight into Summer?), but the heat level up in my attic space above the garage slows my old butt down a little come about noon Smiler It is night and day cooloer in the new room vs the unfinished area of the attic as I heavily insulated it, but I can not put in the new AC unit until I get all of the final drywall sanding prep done. Dust from sanding/prepping sheet rock, that is an understatement Wink

Anyway again I sincerely appreciate all of the comments. I look forward to learning more and more from all of you and if I am fortunate enough to have a small bit of wisdom to pass along, I will do so. I doubt that I have anywhere close to anything though that most of you have not experienced 1000 times over already Smiler Good shooting and be safe!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My bench height is 37" as I planned it to reload standing up. But some sessions are long and drawn out and sitting takes the strain off my weary feet. I bought an adjustable drafting chair that works out fine for using either my Co-Ax, Dillon RL550B or Square Deal B. Best of both worlds.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote