THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Seafire, need input on Alliant powders - 300 Win Mag

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seafire, need input on Alliant powders - 300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I've enoyed your experience that you shared with using RL-7 in a .223, that really worked out good for me. I know that you are a big used of Blue Dot and I've had some great success with Power Pistol in a .40 S&W but do you have some great RL-'s for a .300Win Mag pushing a 180g load?

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teancum....

For the 300 Mag, are you looking for max velocity?

I normally don't use magnums much.. but I do have a 300 Mag, and when I do load it, I load it hot... and use a 220 grain bullet to do so...

However, I don't use Reloader powders for that load... I use a overcharge of H 1000... 5 grains over, at 83 grains, regular Large Rifle Primer and a 200 grain RN or Nosler partition...

or a 200 grainer with the same charge...

MV with the 220 grainers doesn't break 3,000 fps.... it is just short of it, at 2950 to 2975 fps...

the 200 grainers run about 3100 with a 26 inch barrel out of a Browning A Bolt...

If I had to bank on a max load with a 180 grainer out of a 300 Win Mag, I'd first try the max load data of RL 25 and see where I could go from there.. working up a grain at a time...

The problem with the 180s, is you have to make sure you have a bullet that will take the higher velocity and hold up on close quarter impact... which would mean partition or Barnes X or one of those...

I have ran a 180 to 3250 fps in the A Bolt.. but don't remember the load....

However, I usually use the 200 or 220 grain loads... If I need higher velocity, for flatter trajectory, then my pick is a 165 grain Partition at 3300 fps using RL 22.... it actually gives more muzzle energy than the 180 grain loads at 3100 fps....the ME is around 4000 ft lbs... which will wake up what you hit instantly, before it drops dead...

I use the 180s a lot in the 06, but not in the 300 Win Mag... funny as it may seem...I like the heavier bullets, except for the 3300 fps 165 grain partition load... which I load for open country... but still need close up punch potential...but a 200 grain partition at 3100 fps, or a 220 grain partition at a little under 3000 fps.. will really fly flat also and really penetrate what it hits....

for magnums, I prefer the heavy for caliber route...like in the 338 Win Mag, my favorite bullet is the discontinued speer 275 grain SMP...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teancum- Try 75gr. of Rl-22 and a 180gr. Partition Protected Point. This is a winning load in 5 different 300 Win. Mags. I don't even bother trying different powders in the 300 mag. anymore. Rl.22 seems to be tailor made for the 300 and 180gr. bullets
Hope it works for you.
--Mike

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what boomer said except for the charge weight...find your own.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely...Work up the load for your gun. But isn't that a given? p.s. that load is .5gr. under max. according to Nosler #5
--Mike

Posts: 52 | Location: Pierce County Washington | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boomer:
Teancum- Try 75gr. of Rl-22 and a 180gr. Partition Protected Point. This is a winning load in 5 different 300 Win. Mags. I don't even bother trying different powders in the 300 mag. anymore. Rl.22 seems to be tailor made for the 300 and 180gr. bullets
Hope it works for you.
--Mike

When I started out reloading a long time ago I used some of the Alliant powders back then and after a while moved away toward the Hogdon group using a lot of Varget. After finding the RL-7 combo for the .223 and having some remarkable results with Power Pistol in a .40 S&W I became much more interested in their line and will try the RL-22 in the 300 Win. Thanks for the input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading my 300 Win mag the same as Boomer only with the 190 grain bullet. 75 grains of powder in my 26 inch Winchester barrel gives me an average speed of 3110 fps. When working up my test loads, I went all the way up to 82 grains before calling it quits and no signs of pressure. But settled on 75 grains which shot the best in my rifle, and 3100 is fast enough for me.

posted Hide Post
T: I've had great luck with 180 grain TSXs over RL-22 at 77grains(3 @100 in .65") and 180 gr. Accubonds over RL-19 at 73 grains (3 in nearly same hole)...try these and see if you don't shoot like a Strippling Warrior!

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joeblow:
T: I've had great luck with 180 grain TSXs over RL-22 at 77grains(3 @100 in .65") and 180 gr. Accubonds over RL-19 at 73 grains (3 in nearly same hole)...try these and see if you don't shoot like a Strippling Warrior!

Do you think I could be like the 2000 Strippling Warriors one day if I listen to my mom?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TEANCUM

As long as you don't doubt that she knows what she is talking about!

Posts: 29 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL-22 is a great powder for the 300 Winchester. I used it for years. These companies however continue to improve things. The advent of RL-25 has brought about a new era in the 300 Winchester. Give RL-25 a try for accuarcy and velocity with 180s and 200s.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With RE25 I was able to match the 180gr Federal High Energy load foot for foot and pound for pound.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
RL-22 is a great powder for the 300 Winchester. I used it for years. These companies however continue to improve things. The advent of RL-25 has brought about a new era in the 300 Winchester. Give RL-25 a try for accuarcy and velocity with 180s and 200s.

RL-25 seems to be getting more nods than RL-22. Not being familiar with the RL powders I assumed that RL-25 is a slightly slower burning powder then RL-22. I'm using W-W cases and they usually seem to have respectable capacity. Do you ever run into case capacity problems with the RL-25 when you are trying to get high velocity and good accuracy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No capacity issues that I have found. You will probably find the sweet spot with RL-25 from 80.5 to 82.5 gr of powder and 180gr projectiles. Non issue for the 300 Win Mag case. I use 180gr Nosler Partitions in my Sendero.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot RL-22 for years with my .300 Winny as have six of my Elk hunting buddies. From 75 grains up to 79 depending on lot. Approx 3100 fps and very good groups. Federal 210M primer, the 215M takes the group to 1-1.5 inch from one hole. RL-25 is not as consistent ( I seem to get speed spikes for no good reason, I chronograph 99% of my loads ) for me and I couldn't switch my buddies who do not all reload, with a stick of dynamite. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With long bullets, i.e., swoopy plastic tipped boat tails, monos, or semi-monos, you can run into capacity issues with 25. A drop tube has solved every one I ran into.

wave Howdy Pat. Didn't say it was "better" in any rifle, let alone all rifles, just that for a given pressure it will produce more velocity that 22. I'll take accuracy over pure velocity any day.

Mike

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
RL-22 and the 300 win go hand in glove. I shoot 75.0 grains RL-22 behind 180 grain TSX consistently sub-MOA 5 shot groups. The rifle is a stock Rem 700 action in a HS Precision stock.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use RL22 behind a 200 gr Nosler Partition- I remember that I'm using about .5 grain under Noslers published max- seemed to get the tightest groups out of my M70.

john

Posts: 54 | Location: Missoula, MT | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TEANCUM,

It almost made a strippling warrior out of me too, but I never was very good at following all of mothers instructions Wink

As far as the question about alliant powders in the .300 Winchester Magnum goes...well, I put it off for way to long because of all the talk and hype about temperature sensitivity and lot to lot variations. I used IMR 4831 under 180 grain bullets for a along time and it served me o.k. Then I switched to the 200 grain accubond with H1000. It served me o.k. But I ultimately wanted to shoot the 180 grain Accubond. I did a bunch of research on the two allegations mentioned above and formed my own conclusion (that I have yet to disprove). That conclusion was that all powders are subject to swings in temperature, with higher temperatures causing the most difference. The second part of the conclusion was that RL22 does have wide lot to lot variances.

I decided to circumvent the 2nd problem and buy a 5# jug, even though I didn't know whether the powder would be what I wanted or not.

The first problem is not a problem as far as I am concerned with my experience so far...in my .300 Win Mag I lost 34 fps (3,184 to 3,150 fps) with a 50+ degree temperature swing (70-75 degrees down to 15 to 20 degrees).

I loaded up some rounds with different charge weights by .5 grain increments and the 180 grain Accubond. What happened was the most consistent, gratifying shooting experience I have ever had with this gun. Charges from 74.0 through 76.5 grains were all sub m.o.a. I settled on 76.0 grains for a velocity of the above mentioned numbers.

I only wish I had 50 more lbs of the same lot Frowner

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my .300 WM its 75.5g RL-22 180g p/p partition
@ 3100fps dancing

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote