Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Manuals
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted
Why don't bullet manufacturers just put load data on their website? I was thinking of trying the 200 grain .375 sierra bullet in a .375 Ruger, but I don't want to buy another reloading manual, and I am too new to start comparing other similar loads, I'm just not comfortable with that. Wouldn't it make sense to let people know how to use their products?

"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | Location: Toledo | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
I have found that bullet makers will send out reloading data if requested. I would suggest sending Sierra a nicely worded email requesting load data.

Jesse

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler puts NEW data (stuff they developed after the manual went to press) on their website

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the propellant manufacturers put their data on their websites. It may or may not be for the exact bullet you want to use, but the variables inherent in the different chambers and barrels they use versus your particular gun's are usually greater than the variance between different bullets of the same weight and type. In the end, you must vet your own data through judicious trial regardless of where it originated.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Most of the propellant manufacturers put their data on their websites. It may or may not be for the exact bullet you want to use, but the variables inherent in the different chambers and barrels they use versus your particular gun's are usually greater than the variance between different bullets of the same weight and type. In the end, you must vet your own data through judicious trial regardless of where it originated.

Unless the bulets are of castly diff. construction (ie monometals vs cup/core vs partitions). Regardless, you still need to work the loads up. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I have called Sierra and they have mailed me "tear sheets"with the bullet data. They are really great about their products. Call their tech service member, worth the time and the
call.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Why should they, when they can put it all together into a nice bound volume, and SELL it to you??

(The powder makers DO furnish some data on-line, however.......)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy Quickload, that basically solves your problem. Use the online data and the print manuals to double check.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Want a helpful web site,

this is maintained by a former AR member here...

I consult this site before I consult most of my reload manuals... Steve has done a lot of work cataloging all of this info from tons of sources...
http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
this is maintained by a former AR member here...

Beg to differ, there seafire. Steve is not a former AR member. You can still search his posts and PM him from this forum. He is in just as good standing as you or I.

He just hasn't posted here for a year and a half since he started his own chatroom.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
"It's alive!" dancing

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple three factors to figure on bullets in a load workup:

Bullet weight

Bullet material (lead/copper jacket)

Bullet diameter (printed on the package)

----------------------

That's going to cover the load pressure issues. The rest of the ballistic details are all part of working up a load. Nice to have a chrono, but you can work up a load just by shooting groups off a bench.

Bullet mfg's SELL data manuals. There are some ballistic software options out there.

Before I'd trust any online load data that's not published on a MANUFACTURE'S site, I'd do some research and ensure that the load data is within the parameters of the data published on a MANUFACTURE'S site.

You get some nuts out there, some whacko wildcatters, some clueless types, probably more than one vandal, and there's the inevitable typos and transpositions.

Before I'd snug my mortal body up next to a load I'd found online, I'd check to ensure the data falls within the realm of published MANUFACTURE'S data. That data is accurate, safe, proven, and reliable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
"It's alive!" dancing

..are greatly exaggerated.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted Hide Post
I had seen some stuff with Quickload, has anyone else here used it and what did you think?

"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | Location: Toledo | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
I just recently bought a couple of the "Loadbooks USA" handbooks which are sold by caliber. Each one has the load data from the top 10+/- major manuals. (actually it looks like they physically copied the pages. I assume they have permission)
Sample:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=117533

If you're only interested in one caliber then it's pretty cheap ~$6USD. Once you go over 3 or 4 then buying a whole manual would be cheaper.

Alf

Posts: 97 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote