New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Ruger brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I emailed Hornady. They replied they are turning out loaded ammo as fast as they can. They did not know when brass would be available. They suggested I get on a retailer's back order list. I guess we hand loaders are lower than stepchildren!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I was looking for 375 Ruger brass. Wasn't easy to find but from two or three places I picked up a useful amount of once fired brass. All Hornady headstamp except for about 20 cases with the Swift headstamp. I wanted more and at that time the only way I managed to get more was by buying Hornady ammo and pulling if apart for the brass.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reloaders are so far down the list that even during the good times we only get leftovers.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
reloaders are so far down the list that even during the good times we only get leftovers.

Reloaders take jobs away from ammo manufacturers! Roll Eyes

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Components manufacturers are taking away enjoyment from reloaders !

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently got a new phone. My old phone lost most of my pics but somehow they magically appeared on the new phone.

One of the pics. is Ruger .375 brass at a local store. I was getting proof of price for another store with "price matching + 5%" Didn't work that way in reality.

This was Dec. 7, 2019, and the brass cost $52.99 I think this time period was the last time I saw any .375 Ruger brass.

Posts: 277 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some local guys here have resorted to using .375H&H brass.
It basically fire-forms ahead of the belt, but the fire-forming process itself is a multi-step affair.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:
Some local guys here have resorted to using .375H&H brass.
It basically fire-forms ahead of the belt, but the fire-forming process itself is a multi-step affair.

What sort of life are they getting with the brass after fire forming ?
It sounds innovative but complicated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is interesting. When the 375 Ruger came out, it was sometimes touted as the replacement for the "obsolete" 375 H&H. Shorter action, higher velocities, etc. There were those who said that ammo, components for the Ruger round wouldn't be a problem. Just went online and the first 5 places that came up in the search engine had H&H brass in stock, but no Ruger. Also, too bad that Hornady, who started out as a reloading component business, does not have any loyalty to the customer base that made them what they are today. That is a shame.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
This is interesting. When the 375 Ruger came out, it was sometimes touted as the replacement for the "obsolete" 375 H&H. Shorter action, higher velocities, etc. There were those who said that ammo, components for the Ruger round wouldn't be a problem. Just went online and the first 5 places that came up in the search engine had H&H brass in stock, but no Ruger. Also, too bad that Hornady, who started out as a reloading component business, does not have any loyalty to the customer base that made them what they are today. That is a shame.

Yes, interesting what unfolds with the passing of time. Despite lofty predictions the 375 Ruger has not displaced the mighty 375 H&H. I suspect the H&H has given not an inch of ground while the Ruger is, still, slowly inching forward but needs to cover many more miles to even start gaining on the H&H. And you're right about the Ruger brass being in short supply currently which will not help its further progress.
After being a 375 H&H shooter for some years I decided in the last couple of years to add a 375 Ruger to the stable. Being a handloader I set about acquiring a stock of brass which proved to be a mission. Ultimately successful but taking much more time and effort than expected. I have since added even more brass to my .375 H&H stocks which, as you point out, was almost an exercise in simplicity by comparison.
Ballistically I find the two cartridges quite similar with maybe a slight velocity edge to the Ruger, but overall not significant. However, what is noticeable is the recoill difference. Without question the Ruger recoil is "snappier", feels heavier and requires a little mental adjustment to accommodate, helped by not making range sessions too long ! The recoil can also shorten my uncrimped rounds in the magazine, especially the bottom round, which personally annoys me a bit. I don't know if accuracy is affected by this but shortly I will begin crimping rounds to overcome shortening COAL. I don't have this problem with my 375 H&H rifles.
I think the Ruger cartridge will hang in there, at least for a while. I hear in Namibia take up is quite strong but it probably needs the wholesale uptake of the USA market to really make it fly. Time will tell if this is likely.
A comment about Hornady handloading components. All the 375 Ruger brass I have is Hornady. Past experience with Hornady brass in other calibres is such that I don't ever use it. I suspected I might encounter similar issues with Hornady 375 Ruger brass, but am happy to admit to unfounded fears. The 375 Ruger brass from Hornady has held up to multiple firings very well, so far. Kudos to Hornady for that.
Hornady can make components of high quality. A lot of their bullets in various calibres have performed very well for me over many years. But as a business they have grown immensely and I'm just not sure if quality control is as tight as it should be these days. Especially with the factory ammo they produce. It's not a massive issue but numerous online grumblings concerning factory ammo seem to relate to Hornady. At least, seems that way to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read an article some time back about forming .375 Ruger brass from 300something brass. I can not find that article or thread.

While looking for it again today I found a thread on making 300PRC from .375 Ruger brass. Times have changed from when one was available and the other not. Do they share the same basic brass? I see 300 PRC brass is available from some "mail order" places.

I'm a bit phobic about using the correct head stamped brass/cartridges in my firearms. The above is not a recommendation, just an observation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coastal firearms had Hornady brass on their website two days ago, might be gone, but might be worth a look.

https://coastalfirearmshop.com

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I admire the ballistics and efficiency of the 375 Ruger but it just doesn't have the panache of the 375 H&H.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have also got a Ruger in 375...absolutely love it, brass seems to be okay, but not of the quality of Lapua, however the guys from ADG sent me some 300 PRC cases, I necked them up...8mm, 338, 35, 9.3 , and 375...no issues, fire formed them, with a light load, with cast bullets, next going to anneal them on the AMP machine, and then start useing them them with full power loads
The ADG case is significantly heavier then the hornady case...no suprise

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:

What sort of life are they getting with the brass after fire forming ?
It sounds innovative but complicated.

They are reporting similar life to normal cases. Once the body is formed, it doesn't work much thereafter.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enough people need to write and fuss at Hornady. Customer are what makes their world go round

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a post on another site. Guy has 38 pieces and wants $50 (plus shipping?).

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:
I read an article some time back about forming .375 Ruger brass from 300something brass. I can not find that article or thread.

While looking for it again today I found a thread on making 300PRC from .375 Ruger brass. Times have changed from when one was available and the other not. Do they share the same basic brass? I see 300 PRC brass is available from some "mail order" places.

I'm a bit phobic about using the correct head stamped brass/cartridges in my firearms. The above is not a recommendation, just an observation.

nightmare

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyeballing one 270 Nosler case it looks similar to my .416 Ruger case. Don't have any dimensions for the Nosler case to compare.

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Supposedly the Nosler cases are .404 based (or RUM based, take your pick), and the Ruger case was supposedly designed based off of a case designed to make the belt diameter of a belted mag the case width dimension. They are different.

Pretty much all my .416 Rigby and .375 H&H cases were factory ammo originally. These cases just don't seem to wear out (now that I said that, I will probably end up having to cull a bunch...)

I'm not adverse to using factory ammo, for hunting purposes it is generally more than accurate enough... as long as they have the projectile I want. What I don't like is that the ammo that has the bullets I want, folks seem to think is worth its weight in gold... and you need to buy a decent lot of it.

Not many folks buy the premium hunting ammo in lots of 100-250 rounds which is what I would consider a "lot" of cases to segregate and keep together.

Face it, Hornady rules the roost with regards to all these Ruger rounds... single source and you have issues with availability and price... and with the world where it is at right now with war and rumors of war, the ammo companies are getting a lot more money out of folks paying taxpayer money for ammo than what we will (or should) be shelling out.

Long winded way of saying that I would probably just buy 5-10 boxes of Hornady ammo.

Posts: 10596 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Long winded way of saying that I would probably just buy 5-10 boxes of Hornady ammo.

Yep. Quickly after exhausting option to obtain just brass, all once fired, I ended up between a rock and hard place to obtain more. My only option was to buy ammo which I did and pulled it for the brass. At least I also got a small stock of practise bullets.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the actual truth is that the "nosler" case is ultimately designed off the rum case .. there's a longer story about intellectual theft by the case "designer", but let's leave it here

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
the actual truth is that the "nosler" case is ultimately designed off the rum case .. there's a longer story about intellectual theft by the case "designer", but let's leave it here

But wasn't the RUM based of the .404?

I think they slightly rebated the rim at some point for the RUM rounds, though.

Posts: 10596 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

But wasn't the RUM based of the .404?

I think they slightly rebated the rim at some point for the RUM rounds, though.

depends, the rum and wsm are, lineage-wise, from HEM mags, and are therefore .550 at the web, .532 at the rim. the 404 is .545 at the web and rim. 5 thou is an important difference. Yes, i realize that folks will argue about the HEM rounds, but the lineage is 450 alaskan, 450HEM, "imperial" lines of carts, which remington bought, then the ultra/wsm at the end of 99/start of 2000

when you resize a rum brass in a 404 die, there is a good deal of resizing, as a max spec rum is far larger than a min spec 404, but a min spec rum would likely be an easy fit in a 404 die

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold a bunch of new 375 Ruger with my gun to someone on AR. Im surprised it's not available, the Creedmoor floods the market why? I don't know, it not what it's cracked up to be IMO.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote