Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Beginner
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to start reloading for .480 Ruger and am not sure of all the equipment I should get. I have been looking at kits from Lee but they are the only brand I know and I don't know if there are better beginner's equipment out there. Thanks for your comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had some problems with Lee Dies.
I never had any problems with RCBS products. Therefor I would recommend those.

I suggest you buy a good reloading manual from one of the bullet of powdermakers and read this
before you buy any equipment. This will give you an idea about the reloading process in genaral and safety rules in particular and will also give you a good idea of what tools%things you need for a start

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been loading 47 years. Don't like Lee dies. RCBS is excellent.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best gear for the beginner is RCBS, and don't scrimp either, buy a Rockchucker Press, why? because there are only two kinds of handloaders, them as owns one or more Rockchuckers and them that will. As for dies, RCBS seems to be the first choice with Redding a close second. Hornaday is next with Lee somewhere out in the distance in the grass.

I'm not as experienced as Brice, only been reloading 42 years, and my first press was a Herter.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
RCBS is the way to go. Lee is cheaper but as noted you will most likely buy up in the future. I`d pick up a copy of "The ABCs of Reloading", or the Lyman, Hodgdon, or Speer manual and read the how to section. The books will explain everything you need, and the tooling you need to do it. Reloading isn`t hard but you do need to know and understand what you are doing and why before you put the first cartridge together. Mistakes are better not done then found and tried to undo later.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I went with an RCBS kit back in the early 1980s that included the press, manual, scale, powder measure and maybe even a set of dies for around $100 if I remember correctly. I'm still using the press that came with it (a Rockchucker I believe); in fact it's the only press I use. I've loaded thousands of rounds with it.

I have no complaints with RCBS dies but I use a lot of Lee dies as well.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Well I started with a lee kit and produced fully acceptable ammunition, including the first 1000 or so rounds I ran through my 480. I think most folks that call Lee equipment junk have never used it. I'd also say those that say the rockchucker is the ultimate single stage press have never used a Forster co-ax. I have a co-ax and rockchucker, and hardly ever use the rockchucker.

Back to the 480. I've used the hornady dies as they were the only dies on the market when the 480 first came out. They are a 4 die set with sizer, neck beller, floating stem seater and crimp die. I can't say the hornady dies will load more accurate ammo than other brands, but I have been able to get almost every cast bullet I've loaded to put 5 shots into 1" at 50 yds.

The basic setup you will need is, reloading manauls you read very thoroughly before buying or opperating loading gear. A reloading press, you likely won't shoot your 480 enough to chip in the extra for a progressive, and the added complexity isn't desired when starting out. A set of dies and a shellholder. A means of priming cases, I use an RCBS handheld. A means of dispensing and measuring powder, I use a Redding br powder thrower and a beam scale. Primers, powder and bullets. For full patch loads it's tough to beat H110 lit off with a CCI 350 primer. Just take the do not donwload cauation for H110 seriously. For milder loads, Unique and blue dot have served me well.

Here's some info on my loads

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...?r=86810309#86810309

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. One other question. I was wanting to reload so that I could affordably practice since the rounds cost about $1 apeace (I know its not much compared to other calibers, but still too much for me to do high volume shooting). If I made my own bullets, could I save much over this price?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on how much shooting you plan on doing with your gun. Initially reloading is not very cost effective, but pays over time for itself. Like all hobbies it can be as cost effective as you want it to be, but usually grows with you. Some of the lead bullet manufacturers have become very proud of their products and have priced them accordingly. I have found that I can by bulk Remington jacketed bullets for a better price than the lead bullets. I would recommend that you look at Laser Cast bullets and others for cost effectiveness.

If you decide to cast your own bullets then buy used equipment. It is cheaper and just as good as new. Read everything you can on casting bullets and ask for opinions about equipment on shooting and hunting forums like AR. Knowledge about what to buy and used equipment will save you a small fortune. Find a mentor in your area who already casts bullets and find out if it is what you really want to do with your free time.

Nice doesn't mean weak.

Posts: 74 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
REDDING! Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Wolford:
Thanks guys. One other question. I was wanting to reload so that I could affordably practice since the rounds cost about $1 apeace (I know its not much compared to other calibers, but still too much for me to do high volume shooting). If I made my own bullets, could I save much over this price?

Definately, especially with the 480. I haven't purchased a single bullet for mine, all have been cast.

The best deal in molds are Lee's, and their 400 gr mold is superb. You don't even need to invest in a lube/sizer, just use Lee tumble lube. Over~7gr of unique it makes for a mild plinker at about 600 fps. Over 21 gr of H110 for 1200 fps, it'll take any game you'll hunt with a handgun. A lee mold and furnace can be had for something like $60, and a 100# bucket of wheelweights for about $20. You can make about 1700 bullets, so about 6 cents a bullet, add a couple pennies for a primer, and about 6 cnets for powder. So say 15 cents per loaded round of 400gr hardcast over 21 gr H-110, and a bit over 10 cents a round for the same bullet over 7gr of Unique.

As others have said in the past, you don't save anything when you reload, you just shoot more Big Grin

275 swc, 310 LFN, 400 XLFN, 460 WFN.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for the 480 Ruger… it is very easy…

I use RCBS stuff and have a Rock Chucker

You will need a Chamfer/Deburring tool which will work on 50 cal rounds… the standard ones are too small. I have the Horn Dies and I would recommend anything else…

I have found reloading this round is VERY Cost Effective

Other than that it’s the same as others

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a great thread on the Greybeard forum, titled "Definitive 'New to Reloading' Thread"

You might want to check it out.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,99824.0.html

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading for 40+ years too & my opinion is to get quality equipment at the get-go. Why pay twice? I'd go for the RCBS starter kit and probably an RCBS press. My favorite dies are Forster followed by Redding then RCBS. I've never tried any of the others. Before you start, I'd advise that you get at least 2 manuals and read thru their instructions on loading. Once you get ready to start, you can always post questions here on the board - somebody's surely gonna know the answer and help you out. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As others have said in the past, you don't save anything when you reload, you just shoot more

It is true you get what you pay for. Most purchases are on some kind of budget but most of us here don't know the word-ha.

I still am using my Forester Bonanza single stage press with the dbl rams. Thought perhaps this would aide in wildcatting-haven't done much of that though. Most of todays reloading manufacturers will sell you a quality press-buy the dies, powder, primers, bullets,misc. bench tools and some manuals and you are ready to go.

exercise safety and have fun.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy this kit and don't look back!AAA+++
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote