New
Find
Notify
Tools

LC lake city 223 brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is Lake city .223 considered military brass, I was wondering if I need to reduce published data powder charges because its heavyer, thicker brass?

Im preping and getting ready to reload for 223 for the first time and have lots of Blackhills ammo Lake City brass, once fired(maybe 2nd fired is blackhills used once fired brass)

I only have some remington 223 brass to compare weight with the LC brass, and they are the same weight, 95 grs.

Compared to the remington brass, looks to me like its pretty close to the same internal volume, not sure how WW or other brands brass compare

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That warning doesn't apply to 223 brass; in fact LC is one of the higher capacity cases out there. Winchester brass consistently holds less powder than LC. 223 and 5.56 military cases are mostly so close in capacity that it is a non-issue.

30-06 and 7.62 x 51 Nato do have issues as far as military cases being thicker with less capacity.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I bought 1,000 once fired LC .223 brass around 7-8 years ago for a steal and have been loading it up for use in my Rem 700.

If I were you I would just proceed to load this brass as if it were a change in components and treat every rifle as a different test chamber.

I loaded this brass for two different Rem 700's and found in one, my current shooter, that I had to reduce the loading 1.0 grains.

I love the stuff and it does have the reputation of being one of the best cases out there.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone explain why Lake City 2009 brass comes with 2 different headstamp configurations? Is it because one is military and one is commercial? Or does it have to do with what time of the year it was produced?

L C vs. LC 09
0 9

Just curious
Fishin' Magician

one of us
posted Hide Post
From Sierra.

The conventional wisdom to reduce loads with military brass is familiar to most reloaders and is generally good advice. The rationale here is that the military cases tend to be somewhat thicker and heavier than their civilian counterparts, which in turn reduces capacity and raises pressures. This additional pressure normally requires a one or two grain reduction from the loads shown in most manuals or other data developed with commercial cases. While this is most often the situation with both 308 Winchester and 30-06 cases, it is less true with the 223 brass. We have found that military cases often have significantly more capacity than several brands of commercial brass. Again, take the time to do a side-by-side comparison of the cases you are working with and adjust your load as needed. There may be no need for such a reduction with the 223. Know your components and keep them segregated accordingly.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I've found it is ALWAYS best to FORGET about conventional wisdom...many if not most times it isn't wisdom at all...more like piles of doo-doo.

The best way to be sure WHAT you have is to weigh the cases yourself, then run a simple case volume analysis.

I bought a bunch of "un-selected" LC 223 brass that had 5 different year designations and ALL the different years had a different case volumes...only a few tenths and for all intents and purposes didn't really amount to a hill of beans because I don't push loads, but it DID affect accuracy.

A bug hole load in IMI cases ended up a 1 1/4" group in two of the LC years, one bug hole group in one year(NOT the same case capacity in the LC as in the IMI...and THAT upset some of MY conventional wisdom) and a 6 in the other two years...pretty much the same as mixing ANY other brands.

To be consistent in the accuracy department you have to test and then adjust EACH case lot/batch, EACH bullet brand/weight/lot, and EACH powder lot...that is if you want bughole groups...waste of time if a 1" group is all you require.

This is not to say there is anything wrong with LC brass...I like it along with IMI, Norma and Lapua brass over the other brands...it just points up one fact of the impact of variation in this sport.

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
To be consistent in the accuracy department you have to test and then adjust EACH case lot/batch, EACH bullet brand/weight/lot, and EACH powder lot...that is if you want bughole groups...waste of time if a 1" group is all you require.

Luck

Well said. Cool
This the only "conventional Wisdom" I follow.
Though I don't feel it is a waste of time to do,even if you only want 1" groups. The search is just usually a lot shorter. As you can quit as soon as you find a consistent load.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Natchez has 1000 count of LC on sale for $119.95 a box right now.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ROFLMAO. A short time ago, 1" was the golden grail for a hunting rifle. Now it is sneared at. 'Course, nowadays a three shot volley is considered a group. For all sorts of reasons. A couple of which may have a little validity but not much. One has to wonder if the techniques have improved, or the rifles, or, perhaps, the accounting? Cyberspace is a wonderous place. Big Grin

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote