New
Find
Notify
Tools

oal inconsistencies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the process of bullet seating(308 win), I have noticed a variation in oal between cartridges. This difference can be as much as + or - .005". The brass has been trimmed to the same length and checked with calipers. Anyone have an idea of what might be the cause?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Your bullets are different lengths. The benchrest shooters sort their premium match bullets by ogive length because they all vary.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold is correct.

Take a look at Converting from OAL to ODL and the issue will be resolved.

The OAL will still vary and that is fine because we need to be concerned about the distance from the Ogive-to-the-Lands remaining constant.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're using a conventional soft point, the points will be flatter on some than others from beating around during shipping. This will cause this much variation, but has no effect on the distance from the bullet to the rifling which is the critical dimension.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Fact of the matter is, variations in bullet lengths from base to tip with in reasonable boundries (say, +/- 0.005") is totally insignificant. What one needs to look at is the length of the bullet from base to ogive-that is the point at which the forward section of the bullet first reaches bore diameter (.243, .284, .358 etc.). This is measured with a bullet comparator. Infact, when making load notes, instead of recording OAL, I record OACL (over-all comparator length) as it is the more significant dimension-barring any magazine-length restrictions, of course. Having said that, I have run into differing OACL's when loading heavily compressed charges even with sufficeint neck tension (.222 Rem).

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an old rcbs rockchocker press that would produce inconsistent OAL. The pin at the bottom of the ram would work itself out a little over time and would change the OAL if I didn't watch it.

One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?catego...em=09-600&type=store

That should fix your problem or let you see you don't have a problem.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Molar1:
What the other guys said about bullet length. Get the Stoney Point gages to measure to the ogive. I'm probably too anal about seating depth but I always "rough" seat my bullets about 0.005" to 0.007" too long then measure & dial each one in to what I want. Yeah, this is probably not necessary & is more time consuming but I do this for my rifles anyway.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote