Find
Notify
Tools

.358 Winchester fire forming
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
I have a number of new 7mm/08 cases (some loaded ammo, too)

Since the 7mm/08 rifle is long gone, and the .358 is on the way, any issues fire forming up to .358?

I have plenty of .308 brass, but I do have .308's, doubt if I'll be adding a another 7mm anytime soon.

Thanks guys!

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never formed this case but have made 8,5x63 R from 7x65 R cases. If your cases are already fired, you will have to temper them. Probably you will need to form them in two steps, first to .308 and then to .358. Use a good amount of grease.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never made them from 7mm-08s but I've made a ton of .358s from .308s . I think you might want to do that in 2 steps , 1st to .308 and then to .358 . My redding die has a tapered expander button (standard) and will go from .308 to .358 in one step , with the neck lightly lubed on the inside . I wouldn't make too many from 7mm-08s before loading a few to make sure there was going to be enough neck tension to hold the bullets . Now as to the 7mm-08 being dead , where are you from ? The 7mm-08 is alive and thriving in my neck of the woods !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Posts: 104 | Location: Bristol , VT | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I used to use 30/06 brass cause it is so plentiful. Worked fine for 358 brass.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Nothing to it...use corn meal, cream of wheat, grits, etc, 10 gr Bullseye or 15 gr 700 or 800, Blue dot etc...

I put in the powder, fill the case with the cereal, tamp slightly with a pencil, wood rod etc, enough to put a 1" square of blue shop towel rolled into a ball on top, keep the muzzle pointed UP, slip in the shell and fire DOWN WIND.

You might have to adjust the powder amount a bit. Size and trim and start load testing. I've used 270 W, 280 Rem, 25 and 30'06, 7 and 8x57 cases, 243, 7mm-08, 308 and a few others to form cases for my 356 Win(the rimmed version of the 358 Win) just to see how the case reforming worked and to measure the internal volume.

Good way to recycle brass...just MARK the remade brass so you know WHERE it goes.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I used to just neck up 308 brass on the press. I have not tried it with 7mm08 brass. I would suggest that you try a few cases on the press and see if the neck expands uniformally & without splitting. I suspect that it will be a bit thin in the neck and it could affect the tension with which it holds the bullet.

I would personally use 308 win or 338 federal brass.

Good luck with the wonderful 358 Win.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am NOT suggesting you do this. I have fired 243 and 308 in one of my 358s - wound up with fire formed 358 ...

and, at 25 yards, i know i can hit a pig with a 308 in a 358..

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38616 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd sell the 7-08 brass and use the money to buy some properly headstamped Winchester 358 brass from Midway which is in stock at $34.49/50...just got 100 about a week ago and they were of apparent good quality though I have not loaded them yet.

Good luck, the 358 is a much under appreciated cartridge.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
If it were me I'd sell the 7-08 brass and use the money to buy some properly headstamped Winchester 358 brass

That is prolly the best suggestion. I too have formed several from .308 brass and even that results in split necks and relativly short brass life.. Reforming does work though.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote