Find
Notify
Tools

Re: WSM project.. sucks so far.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
UPDATE:
Took the newly chambered WSM to the range on Saturday.

Shot some WW 180 gr Power Points, 180 Federal Hi Shoks, and 180gr Sierra BT powered by AA MAG Pro powder.

All in all the groups wee a disaster, some going as much as 6".

It seems that this is a one shot, cold barrel rifle. Each time the first shot went where it was supposd to, after that, it looked like buckshot. I shot 4 shot groups, and am totaly disappointed.

So I called Midway USA and told them I wanted to return the barrel. Their responce was, "we don't make any accuracy or group guarentees. You are free to return it, but unless we can find a manufacturing defect, we will send it back".

I think that barrel would be a great candidate for Cryogenic Treatment, as it certainly seems to have some stress problems.

If Midway sends it back, and I'm sure they will, I just may send it out to have it done and see if it helps.

What a few more bucks down the drain now?

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try to find something wrong with the barrel before sending it.

Some things to check are the bore and groove diameter. So slug it. Sight down the inside of the barrel in the right light to see if it's straight.

Since it might be something else keep looking at the sights, bedding, crown etc.

Look for other stuff like that. A price house that did not make the barrel is not going to find anything wrong with it don't you think?

Good luck.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99

I fully anticipate a them not finding anything wrong with it, but it will be fun finding out.

If they do send it back, I'll send it back to Larry Potterfield personally, and make him tell me to stuff it.

Not likely he will do that. He has gone to bat for me there before, and he always wins.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Terry,

I tested pressure on some 300 WSM Winchester PowerPoints here the other day using the Oehler 43 and also PressureTrace, both read identical and indicated 2990 fps and 56,000 psi for that ammo.

I wonder what lot# you got and if they were the same.

The Lot # is 11SD70 Velocity was right on at 2970, but primers were dead flat, and the bolt handle slightly hard to lift.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Lot # 64TM72

Here's a screen shot of the test.

Temp was 30 deg. F though.

This was a simultainious test, with two strain gages on this barrel.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote