Find
Notify
Tools

Powder coated cast bullets out of rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
Any one have experience with powder coated bullets at higher velocity in 30-06, 375-55, 45-70, 405 Winchester?
Adding to that question is there any thing gained using grooveless bullets vs standard grooved cast bullets with grooves?
Another question: When using gas check bullets, am I correct that the gas check goes on then the powder coating is applied? Thanks for any advice and experience offered.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I load 06, the bullet I use is a Lyman mold 311299 gas check 200gr.
Lyman reloading manual states that a full load of Imr 3031 can give a
Velocity of about 2370f/s, I do not drive mine that fast due to some leading. 2150 works for me.
I run my bullets through .308/.310 sizing die add the gas check and then through the powder coat, bullets usually come out at about .309 using the mix which is about 15-16 BHN. hardness. It starts out as a #2 alloy and I add enough linotype. shoots pretty good out of a Rem. 760 pump 2" groups out to 100yrds

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
in Rip Bores, RIP does this all the time

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39712 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Grooveless are for paper patching. Will work with powder coat. No real benefit. Maybe a theoretical one as they could be more consistent as less machining in the mould. You can put the gas check on either before or after. Your choice when to size.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting powder coated bullets in my 45 colt and my 45/70 with good results and no leading.
Get ahold of Robs bullets in Utah and give him a call as he says he's been having good luck with them above 3000 fps in .22 center fires.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote