THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Brand Spankin new to the site and reloading and of course I have questions

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brand Spankin new to the site and reloading and of course I have questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello everyone,
I have a new .223 and I am sure pretty soon I will be getting another larger rifle. I have been reading up on reloading for accuracy and savings. I have asked some people at my gun club a few questions but I get all kinds of different answers. For right now I am interested in just reloading .223 ammo. I have been saving all of my spent shells and have a few hundred now. My question is if I go with something like the Lee 50th anniversary kit what else do I need to purchase to get reloading and what would the approxamate cost be. I can get the Lee kit for around $130.00 but I am not sure of the other important items I will have to have. Example: Do I need to purchase a tumbler to clean the brass or is there something else I can use that's more inexpensive. Any help you can give is always greatly appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Welcome Digger

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i too am new to ar,i have been reloading since 06,i still consider myself new to reloading.i got lucky and bought all my equipment at a yardsale for 125. everything i needed to get started, when i can i'll buy something here and there.i got a tumbler too but have not used it yet.sorry for the lower case i am holding my son.i still type with one finger when i aint holding my son,but good luck to you, and you'll have fun reloading, i suggest getting a caliper if you don't already have one, and a manual.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Giday Digger. The most important purchace is a reloading manual from the likes of Sierra, Hornady, etc and read it carefully. They have all you need to know to get started safely in this most interesting aspect to our riflery.
Start conservatively and experience will teach you a lot IF you read what your results are telling you.
Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please remember that it does not make any sense at all to go for the very last fps. It is precision and of course safety that count. Don't use loads from the internet without cross checking with a manufacturer's manual.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo Dig,

Welcome & thx for asking.

Usually an Intoductory Combo Pkg with all the bits & pieces are gonna be your best deal, especially for someone who's just starting. Can't say from Europe which would be the best available option in the US but keep your eyes open at the major mail order discounters and I'm sure you'll manage to locate something at a reasonable price.

I prefer RCBS and some scoff Lee - I've used some of their products for years and have no issues with them at all; actually after you get started you may end up jumping across the board. Some products are less expensive from one company and others offer better quality....you gotta choose.

There's good reading out there and like others have suggested I consider reading up a great way to start. I recommend another paperback tome - "Metallic Cartridge Reloading". I like it because it has good chapters on setting-up, various reloading schemes, hunting & target loading, equipment & component selction, too.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Digger The only tool I have ever thuoght Lee made thats worth a my money is thier auto prime. $130. sounds like a good deal...unless in 6 months your needing a new press. call Midway USA. remember the manual & calipers Becareful reloading is habit forming!!

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Digger0040:
Hello everyone,
I have a new .223 and I am sure pretty soon I will be getting another larger rifle. I have been reading up on reloading for accuracy and savings. I have asked some people at my gun club a few questions but I get all kinds of different answers. For right now I am interested in just reloading .223 ammo. I have been saving all of my spent shells and have a few hundred now. My question is if I go with something like the Lee 50th anniversary kit what else do I need to purchase to get reloading and what would the approxamate cost be. I can get the Lee kit for around $130.00 but I am not sure of the other important items I will have to have. Example: Do I need to purchase a tumbler to clean the brass or is there something else I can use that's more inexpensive. Any help you can give is always greatly appreciated.

Check around and ask any reloaders you know if they are a good scrounger. Reloading is about getting the most for you money. You will not actually save any money. A really experienced reloader can probably help you get all the stuff you need 2nd hand and it may be better quality than what you could afford new. I have 4 to 6 of almost everything and most of it I paid about $.20 in the dollar. If one of my brothers needs anything I usually have it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say go ahead and start with inexpensive tools. You will replace them a number of times over the years. I have been loading over 50 years and have replaced every one of my tools a number of times. Somthing newer and nicer always shows uo in the catalog or on the dealers shelf, and there we go.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you're located, but in the U.S. that kit sells for about $90. The Challenger kit is a better buy with an AutoPrime and a set of AP shellholders for $10 more.

The RCBS RockChucker kit is a better buy yet.

Here's some more info:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2511043/m/5741094201

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by proplinker:
The only tool I have ever thought Lee made that's worth my money is their AutoPrime.

I like their primer pocket cleaner. Fewer moving parts.