THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use 150-gr. round-nose in their .270?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Just curious. I used these when I first began shooting a .270, but gradually strayed away from them. For some reason, though, I'm getting the urge to work up a load with them, once again.

Which manufacturer makes the "best" bullet of this type? I was thinking of trying either the Hornady Interlock or Sierra ProHunter. I used Core-Lokt's in the past.

Thanks,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff S>
posted
I used the 150 grain core-lokt loads in Germany for several years until I got my reloading stuff set up. Worked great on Reh, Boar, and Stag...

<maxx>
posted
IVE HAD GOOD RESULTS FROM SPEERS HOT COR RN AND ALSO HORDNAYS RN ON ALL TYPES OF GAME IN DIFFERRENT CALIBERS.BUT THEY DONT SEEM TO DO WELL AT EXTREME RANGES.THATS MY RUN INS WITH RN BULLETS.HOPE THATS HELPS.

<1LoneWolf>
posted
Yes sir,

Used the Hornady 150 RN to take three whtietail. Everybody thought I was crazy, not using the Spire Point, but if what I read is correct, which was the RN offers a larger frontal mass and expands quicker, perhaps giving better kills, then I liked the idea.
From these three deer, I couldn't argue against that reasoning.

Of course you loose the better BCs of the SPs. But where I usually hunt, I rarely get shots long enough for that to be much concern. One other thing, they grouped really well at 100m too, at least as well as the SPs I was using.

Edit point: My 270 was a Weatherby.

[This message has been edited by 1LoneWolf (edited 11-13-2001).]

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxx:
IVE HAD GOOD RESULTS FROM SPEERS HOT COR RN

maxx:

I wasn't aware that Speer offered a round-nose bullet in .277". Is it new?

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was about to ask the same question about the 150 Speer RN.

They make a 150 Pointed Hot Core and a 150 Grand Slam, but not Round Nose to the best of my knowledge.

My 270 just loves the 150 REM RN Core Lokts with Rel 22 under them.

Several of my friends us the 150 RN Core Lokt Factory loads on Deer, and they work great.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I killed a Boar with the Federal Factory 150 RN, worked like a charm.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the old Speer 170 gr. .277 RN on a lot of game at one time and it sure killed well as did the 150 gr. RN corelokt....I just wanted to know how they worked, and they kill very well indeed....I couldn't tell much difference at longer ranges, they drop about 3"'s more at 300 I suspect and could wobble off or on that much...but I suspect a .270 is designed for the 130 and 150 gr. spitzers, when all is said and done.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<maxx>
posted
rsy
your right speer doesn't .277 rn i was saying that speer and hordnay have excellent rn bullets that have proven themselves.sorry about the confusion.