THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Seriously? No experience? .30 cal Hornady FTX 160gr

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seriously? No experience? .30 cal Hornady FTX 160gr
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen, I've looked at the new 160 FTX bullet
and am interested in possibly using it in my son's 308win. Has any one had any experience using it in anything other than a 30-30? Any reason it couldn't be used in a 308 win? And while we are at it, any good load combinations? Hoping someone knows more than me. Smiler

Thanks, Barry

Posts: 52 | Location: Midwester | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine why

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make Flex Tip Bullets for the 308 Marlin Express that should work better. Cost is the same the one for the 30-30.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine shot them in 30-30 when they first came out. We hunt in fairly brushy/grassy conditions here in Wisconsin and shots are rarely over 100 yds.
He found them not to penetrate very good. It took him 3 shots to put a deer down. I didn't witness it but I asked him if it's possible they could have hit a small twig or some grass on the way to the deer and he said it was possible but the bullets hit where he aimed and pretty much broke up at impact.
He went back to rem 30-30 factory ammo and once again loves his 30-30.
If I were you looking for a great 308 bullet I would get some good old sierra 150 flat base ....they are stellar accurate in everything I try them in and super reliable in the expansion dept.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote