New
Find
Notify
Tools

Priming function
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the process of setting up my reloading bench. Will be loading 300 Jarrett, 375 H&H Mag and Flanged, 416 Rigby, 500 NE, and 505 Gibbs. Have an RCBS Ammomaster II and just purchased a RCBS hand primer with the removable shell holders. Is the hand priming tool the best for priming function? Any comments welcome.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The best priming tool is the RCBS auto prime.

We have been using one for years, and probably have loaded 100s of 1000s of round with it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67615 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, hand priming tools are to be preferred over using the priming mechanism on the press. They are generally faster and provide more consistent priming.

I'm not familiar with the RCBS hand priming tool, but assume it will do fine. I have used Lee hand held priming tools for many years and find them to do an excellent job. Depending on how much loading you do, you'll wear out the Lee tool in 10 or 15 years (if you don't keep it lubricated) and will have to replace it. You can do this about three or four times for the price of one of most other brands.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have and use the Ammo-Master press and prime cases with the RCBS hand primer exclusively. I find it gives me the correct "feel" on primer seating depth. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the hand priming tool the best for priming function?

It depends on how many cases you want to prime in one sitting and how much time you want to spend doing it. If you want to prime a 1000 cases and get it over in one morning without your hand cramping up, than Saeed’s suggestion is the way to go. The bench mounted auto primer is the fastest way to go and great feel too.

Auto Primer.

Old style hand primer.

The hand priming system I really like.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I prefer hand priming tools to press mounted. The old RCBS as shown is quite a piece of crap IMO. I sold mine cheap & bought the Hronady. much better feel & simpler function. The RCBS rpimer strip thing looks like a huge PITA.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I prefer hand priming tools to press mounted. The old RCBS as shown is quite a piece of crap IMO. I sold mine cheap & bought the Hronady. much better feel & simpler function. The RCBS rpimer strip thing looks like a huge PITA.

PITA?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Yes it is. Lots of people that vote would disagree with you. They’re waiting for the government to take care of them. With your and my tax dollars.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I milled a slot in the corner an RCBS primer tray.
I clamp Forster tubes to the tray with a clothes pin.
I herd the primers into the tube along the wall of the tray, 10 at a time.

The brass rims are not uniform, so I adjust the Forster primer jaws with ~ .003" clearance.

I put two low plastic bowls in front of me, one for unprimed and one for primed.

I pick up two or three cases with my left hand [with the heads all pointed to the right] and operate the primer press handle with my right. I then throw the three primed cases in the other bowl.

The aggravating thing about priming is how often I have to pay attention to what I am doing, but if I stick to one system, I can watch TV at the same time.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, I was looking at the auto-prime by RCBS and already have the hand unit with the removable shellholders. I think I will order the autoprime system for extended reloading and use the hand system for small amounts of priming cases.

Thanks again

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you're learning, individuals have individual preferences. What you have yet to discover is your own preference. What you have is a good tool used by many. The Lee AutoPrime is more popular, but is also less expensive. Most people prefer a hand-held tool. Why don't you use what you have to determine if you may want to try something else, whether it's hand-held with different ergonomics or a different type of tool? None of the calibers you have listed look like high-volume propositions, and filling those tubes is troublesome.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
for manual priming, i have a APS benchmounted .. works GREAT ...

rcbs hand priming tool works great

dillon SQB aint bad

my current favorite is the hornady AP ezject .. and I am reworking that one a little!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Lee Precision "Auto-Prime"
over the RCBS "Auto Primer" pictured above.
That cheap little Lee baby is sweet.
I bought an extra one just in case I ever wear out the first one.
I have the RCBS "Auto Primer" but don't think much of it.

I use the RCBS hand priming tools too, have three of them set up with shell holders that I do not have to change, but if I do, I uniform the seating depth by running it through the Lee Auto Prime for a gentle second set.

The Lee Auto-Prime screws into any press with proper thread bushing, even my RCBS Ammo Master II.
No separate bench mounting or clamping required. Easy in, easy out.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote