Notify
Tools

Groove Bullets Accuracy results!!!! Picture
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
Pop, Don, thanks for the gratious acceptance of my apology. I'm going on the 19th month of unemployment, along with having my only child heading for Iraq next month, makes for a grumpy attitude. Still no excuse!

As far as right now, I don't know if the 165 interbond would be able to make it clear through an elk shot through both shoulders. I doubt it. That's a lot of meat! [Eek!] BUT I do think it would make it through the onside shoulder and reak particular hell with the heart and lungs. Some have said it's too soft to penetrate well, coupled with the tendacy to pancake, it won't penetrate enough. The exposed lead is NOT pure lead. I can barely scratch it with a thumbnail. My experience with my home cast bullets tells me it must have around 5% antimony content to be that hard.

Further tests will tell more and this upcoming season will tell a lot about this new bullet. If it would stop trying to flood us or electrocute us with T-storms, I'll get that testing done and post the results.

Grizz,

No apology needed. [Smile]

Sorry to hear about the 19 months, the economy is in the pooper, thats for sure. I hope your child comes back home safe and sound.

Having never shot the Interbond bullet myself, I have no clue if it will fully penetrate an elk, broadside, double shoulder. As you said, its a new bullet. The same is true for Groove Bullets, they are new to the market. Based on penetration tests we have conducted I would have to beleive that the 206gr EXP shot from a 338 win mag would penetrate both sides of the 1000lb bull elk.

You sir, are correct, the large mushroom is going to decrease penetration on the interbond bullet. Because Groove Bullets don't mushroom near as large as the pictures you posted they are going to penetrate better. Since the Groove Bullets are solid copper they are going to hold together better then a lead filled bullet.

I hear you on the rain. I think the local farmers wished they had planted rice this year instead of corn and beans.

Have a good one,

Don

[ 08-03-2003, 23:18: Message edited by: Groove Bullets ]

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thought I would drop my hat into the lovefest.
I've tried the grooovies for the simple reason that I had no reason to give anymore of my hard earned money to GS Customs while I waited a year for them to ship me bullets. Next was the Barnes X and coated bullets that shot 4" patterns. My new 300rum rem 700 bdl/ss was very tempermental. I tried the Gs /Customs I had left, the barnes, Hornady btsp, and Swift sciroccos with no luck what so ever. Before my grooves arrived I did try some 180 TBBC's and got 1" groups. Totally satisfactory for a premium elk bullet. My 159 groooovies arrived and I decided to go with rel 22. Started at 89 grains(=1.5") and was able to get to 94 safely. The groups tightened up as the load increased. My best 4-shot group with the grooves was .730 @100. I'm not a group shooter or paper puncher-I hunt, so I was thrilled with these groups out of a premium hunting bullet.

Due to the length of the magazine in my bdl- I had to jump the grooves .090 to the lands on my rifle. Maybe the groups would be smaller if I loaded them out to the lands and turned my elk rifle into a single shot. Like I said, I hunt so that is not an option.

FYI- the hollow pt is about twice the size of the barnes. By the size of the hollow pt I don't see how the groove would fail to open at any vel.

Steve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote