Find
Notify
Tools

Groove Bullets Accuracy results!!!! Picture
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
So what say you? [Big Grin]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Pop, I haven't heard of Groove bullets do they have a Website? Pretty impressive bullets and groups

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
www.groovebullets.com

They have pictures of the bullets, performance on game, prices etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,

During the process of testing different calibers and cartridges we have found that loading Groove Bullets .015" off the lands have resulted in the smallest groups. You had to load your Groove Bullets way off the lands to meet the OAL requirements to fit a loaded round in the magazine. I am amazed at how well you shot using Groove Bullets loaded so far off the lands. Good going [Smile]

At 3605 FPS using the 159gr EXP Groove Bullet you should be capable of killing any animal you want as far away as you can accurately hit it and by the looks of your groups, thats a long ways.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Let's see some of those Groove bullets for some *real* rifles! [Smile] I'd be interested if you made'em in .358 and .375!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jpb,

We already manufacture a 375 caliber bullet and plan on introducing a 35 caliber bullet in the near future along with other calibers.

Don

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Groove Bullets:
jpb,

We already manufacture a 375 caliber bullet and plan on introducing a 35 caliber bullet in the near future along with other calibers.

Don

Hi Don

Excellent! However, you really should update your webpage -- I went to the "Purchase bullets" link and saw nothing larger than the measly little .338! [Smile] Same for your downloadable .pdf order form: stops at .338 cal. If there is info on "real" calibres, I didn't see it.

You should be aware that a lot of buyers check ONLY the webpage... I do anyway... [Big Grin]

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find anything larger than .338, either.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
They make them...they just need to update the page. E-mail Don Directly to order.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jpg,

We are in the process of updating the web site info. Thanks for reminding me to bring out some "real" calibers [Smile]

I will get on my web designer to get that info updated ASAP.

Don [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
jpg, longbob and others,

I am in the process of developing a "Graphic" of the outline of Groove Bullets and am going to have a "legend" for the information below the graphic. The data will contain the caliber, weight, type, Sectional Density, Ballistic Coefficient, distance from the base of the bullet to the start of the ogive and the overall lengths
of the bullets.

This additional information will help in determining which bullet fits each individuals application.

In addition to big game bullets we will be introducing VR (varmint) and LR (long range) bullets in the near future.

Thank you for keeping me on my toes. Should you require any information about Groove Bullets, do not hesitate to ask. I will do my best to answer your questions.

Don [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
jpd,

Sorry for getting your handle wrong on previous posts [Frown]

Since this data isn't on our web site yet I will list it here for you and others.

375 caliber EXP Groove Bullet
272 grains
S.D. = .290
B.C. = .391
Distance from base to start of ogive = .760"
Overall Length = 1.445"

I am in the process of developing another 375 caliber bullet. The data I have thus far is:
375 Caliber EXP Groove Bullet
Distance from base to start of ogive = .725"
Overall Length = 1.345"

This bullet will not be as streamline as the 272gr that we currently have in production.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Don [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Don......wait, did I see a BC on one of your bullets??? Do you have them for all of the line yet?

I wish you would get off your butt and do some work...... [Big Grin]

Keep up the good work,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

If you weren't so busy hiding, I mean moving [Big Grin] , you can find the SD and BC for all of the Groove Bullets currently on the market under the "performance" heading on the forum.

Getting off my butt now, to do some work. [Smile]

Don

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Don!!! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Don since everyone seems to be getting what they want for real rifles [Razz] . What about something for the 9.3mm crowd, not alot of competition you could corner the market [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
CoonDawg,

If you would, e-mail me at sales@groovebullets.com and I will look into it. Groove Bullets is a customer driven company.

Don [Smile]

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
And a long range test with Groovies and picture!

http://www.groovebullets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3140#3140

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,

Shooting a .735" group at 200 yards out of a hard kicking 300 RUM? Amazing group. [Smile]

Good Shooting.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,

How have Groove Bullets shot compared against other bullets you have used in the past in your 300 RUM?

Did they shoot as flat or flatter then you had figured?

Don

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
This is my 2nd 300 RUM and I just bought it. I have not had the chance to try other bullets in it, factory or handloads and now I do not have too! . All I know is that ou guaranteed me to find a load at 15 rounds or less (given a healthy rife) or my $$ back, and I found 2 loads in 9 rounds. The first load was also good at 1.1" at 100 yds but too hot (my bad!) [Embarrassed]

I have had many rifles and never had I had a rifle shoot great that fast.
This is why I am getting Groovies for all my rifles. I just ordered the 7mm for my mm mag and as soon as your 375 cal and 6.5mm ones are done I will be there! [Wink]
Yes they shoot much flatter than your advertised .470 BC for the 30 cal 159 gr. [Big Grin]

[ 07-30-2003, 18:14: Message edited by: POP ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,

I am happy that you shoot the Groove Bullets so well. As of right now we have the 375 caliber EXP bullets up on the web site and available for sale.

I thank you for your patronage and wish you all the best.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is anyone else noticing the little love-fest going on here?

Pop, are you on the payroll?

Sorry guys, these posts just seem a little too contrived.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, you've caught the attention of a short barrel shooter. Now, to tickle my fancy: What is the minimum fps needed for expansion of these pills? I'm looking for an average, I know each bullet will be it's own.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:

Pop, are you on the payroll?

Nope.... not on the payroll, just very satisfied. In the past I have spend sometimes hundreds of $$ trying to get some Premium bullets to shoots through some of my guns. I got the groovies to shoot at the speed I wanted at the accuracy level I wanted in one range session. Am I the only one? Heck no! check out his forum there are other accuracy/penetration tests and testimonials. Just passing on a great product! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
All this talk about these grooved bullets, sounds as if someone is getting ready to have an orgasm!

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:

Yeah, it sounds like an infomercial on late night TV. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/C nimrod:
Ok, you've caught the attention of a short barrel shooter. Now, to tickle my fancy: What is the minimum fps needed for expansion of these pills? I'm looking for an average, I know each bullet will be it's own.

T/C,

To be as straight forward as I can, I don't know. Tests are ongoing and we will be running tests using cartridges at reduced velocities to try to determine exactly what you are asking.

Thank you for your questions.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Groove Bullets:
Pop,

During the process of testing different calibers and cartridges we have found that loading Groove Bullets .015" off the lands have resulted in the smallest groups. You had to load your Groove Bullets way off the lands to meet the OAL requirements to fit a loaded round in the magazine. I am amazed at how well you shot using Groove Bullets loaded so far off the lands. Good going [Smile]

Don, so my 4 shot capacity bolt action effectively becomes a single shot, in order to get maximum accuracy? Not a problem for a target shooter, but out of the question for a hunter.

After a look at your website, I see no clue as to how big the hollow point is, how deep it is or how and if the nose is skived or weakened to provide for the "petals". I'm not curious enough to pay that much money to look for myself.

I can pay less than half your prices for the new Hornady interbond, get nearly the same weight retention, not have to worry about how far off the lands I am and get a shorter bullet at standard weights.

Oh and the target that pop put up looked like pieces of another target pasted on a bullseye. I'm NOT calling anybody a liar, it just looks contrived.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Groovy, thanks for the response. Just don't forget us single shot handgun hunters.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
My target was witnessed by George Samaras (poster on this board) who was visiting from NYC. Feel free to ask him. The white stuff on the target is masking tape that covered older holes from another day.

The distance quoted from the lands by Don is what usually yields the best accuracy. This is not written in stone. Mine was a mile off the lands thanx to Remington's reaming and still I got great accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/C nimrod:
Groovy, thanks for the response. Just don't forget us single shot handgun hunters.

T/C,

I haven't looked into any handgun bullets - yet. I suspect that at some point in time we will manufacture bullets for rifles, handguns, shotguns and muzzle loaders.

Again, thank you for your input.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz,

I use the same bullet (159gr EXP, 30 caliber) that Pop is using in my 300 win mag. After seating the bullets .015" off the lands the loaded round fits in the magazine just fine. Not all rifles are throated the same.

It has been our findings that loading Groove Bullets .015" off the lands has produced the best accuracy. That isn't to say everybody will have the same results.

Do you not consider a .735" group shot at 200 yards accurate?

I have not shot the bullet your talking about but if it contains lead I highly doubt it will penetrate as well as a solid copper bullet. Copper is stronger then lead. We have completed penetration tests using, 25, 7mm, 30 and 338 caliber EXP Groove Bullets and the penetration has exceeded our expectations every time. We used a 210gr Partition out of a 338 win mag and our 206gr EXP bullet in a side by side penetration test. The Groove Bullet had almost double the penetration of the partition.

I made Pop an offer when he was looking to purchase Groove Bullets. He was skeptical with regards to our accuracy claims. He was having all sorts of problems getting anything to shoot decent out of his 300 RUM. I told him, if Groove Bullets don't shoot less then 1 MOA at 100 yards I will fully refund your money. He bought the Groove Bullets and we all see his results.

As far as prices go our prices are lower then any other manufacturer that produces a turned 100% copper bullet - that we know of. We are extremely competitively priced.

I have always been open to questions from users and potential users of Groove Bullets. You said you really aren't interested in our products. For those that are interested they are more then welcome to e-mail us at anytime with questions or post them on the various forums. We will do our best to answer all questions asked.

As to Pop's target being suspect. He has already addressed that matter. I never suspected Pop of being a liar.

Should you or anyone have further questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Munch, gulp! Ya know this crow ain't so bad tasting. I wish I knew why I post comments like that. I can see the tape now that it's been explained. My appologies Pop! Now I'll go away until I have something positive to say. [Frown]

Don, here's a link to a post of mine about the Hornady interbond bullets I tested.

http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=009123

I'm skeptical about solid copper bullets because I believe even anealed copper is too hard to expand well at long range. That's why I wanted a look at the hollow point and how it opens the bullet to form four petals. I've been wrong before and will freely admit it when I am.

I'm busy with further tests on the interbond now, or I'd send for a box of those 159 grainers to test in my 300 WSM. It should put them out at around 3150 to 3200 fps. In case I'd ever meat up with something that could bite back or trample me! [Eek!]

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Griz:

No offense taken! [Big Grin] We're all friends here sharing our experiences with each other.! [Wink]

Great job on the interbond thing by the way.

As far as the hollow point on the 159 gr 30 cal groovies I can tell you it is .5" deeeeeep!!! Just measured it.

The best way to describe this bullet (in my humble opinion) is:

An all Copper Grooved bullet with the accuracy potential of a Sierra Matchking and the on game performance of a Nosler partition but with the weight retention and penetrating ability of a Barnes X!

Whew! that is a mouthfull! [Embarrassed]

[ 08-01-2003, 20:08: Message edited by: POP ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz,

No crow needed. I didn't take any of your posts as being negative - rather, sharing information. Groove Bullets are new to the market and until more people use them and see for themselves what the results are people are going to be skeptical. Thats fully understandable.

I checked out your link data - very interesting. It is nice to know people such as yourself take the time and put in the effort to run such tests and then share with others - good job. [Smile]

I designed the Groove Bullet to accomplish certain things. I wanted a bullet that would hold together. Even on a poorly placed shot or a shot opportunity that may not be "ideal". We have run penetration tests similar to what you did only we used steel 1 gallon cans (filled with water, cap secured) versus plastic. We lined up 15 cans in a line, spaced 1" apart. Using a 7mm mag and our 127gr EXP bullet launched at 3440 FPS, 10 feet from the muzzle, we shot into the cans at 100 yards. The bullet went through 7 cans and the back of the bullet was found inside the 8th can. Petals were found inside the 2nd and 3rd can. Thats penetration.

We have run the same test for our 25 EXP, 30 EXP and 338 EXP bullets. We recently ran this test using a 338 win mag. We loaded up some 210gr partition bullets and our 206gr EXP bullet (both in the same 338 win mag rifle) at similar velocities. The partition went through 4 cans and we found the copper backing inside the 5th can. The lead core separated. We shot our 206gr EXP bullet into the cans and it went through 8 cans and stuck in the 9th can. That is "almost" double the penetration shot from the same rifle. We found petals from the 206gr EXP inside the 2nd and 3rd cans.

The EXP "type" is designed to loose its petals and then the back of the bullet drive through. Our tests have shown thie is what happens. We make 5 different "types" of bullets for varying applications.

I fully realize that one bullet can not do everything. Groove Bullets are designed for the hunter that wants an exit hole and if a poor shot opportunity presents itself they can take that shot.

Not to be coy at all, a simple question. Do you think, based on your milk jug tests that the bullet you tested would provide enough penetration to break both shoulders of a broadside shot on a 1000lb bull elk?

Again, thank you for sharing your information and should you have further questions I will do my best to answer them.

Be well,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop, Don, thanks for the gratious acceptance of my apology. I'm going on the 19th month of unemployment, along with having my only child heading for Iraq next month, makes for a grumpy attitude. Still no excuse!

As far as right now, I don't know if the 165 interbond would be able to make it clear through an elk shot through both shoulders. I doubt it. That's a lot of meat! [Eek!] BUT I do think it would make it through the onside shoulder and reak particular hell with the heart and lungs. Some have said it's too soft to penetrate well, coupled with the tendacy to pancake, it won't penetrate enough. The exposed lead is NOT pure lead. I can barely scratch it with a thumbnail. My experience with my home cast bullets tells me it must have around 5% antimony content to be that hard.

Further tests will tell more and this upcoming season will tell a lot about this new bullet. If it would stop trying to flood us or electrocute us with T-storms, I'll get that testing done and post the results.

<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Gee pigs at 135yds and 85 yds- so why use a Magnum with premium bullets? Looks like a lot of meat damge as well. Well at Mag velocities I guess that can be expected. So do these bullets break-up like this always? Weight retension was good though. But a nice Speer 165 gr would have done the same alot cheaper out an '06 or 30-30! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunnut45/454:
Gee pigs at 135yds and 85 yds- so why use a Magnum with premium bullets? Looks like a lot of meat damge as well. Well at Mag velocities I guess that can be expected. So do these bullets break-up like this always? Weight retension was good though. But a nice Speer 165 gr would have done the same alot cheaper out an '06 or 30-30! [Big Grin]

Gunnut,

I used my 7mm mag because that is what I have, no other reason. Another used his 300 win mag and yet another used a 257 Roberts, not exactly a magnum. The 101gr EXP Groove Bullet used in the 257 Roberts dropped a 150lb hog in its tracks. The hunter was very happy with the results she got using Groove Bullets.

When you asked if "these" bullets break up, I am not sure what you mean by "break up". The EXP is designed to shred its petals and the back of the bullet drive on through. I would say the bullet did exactly as it was designed.

Using the S-EXP type the front of the bullet will hold together much better, by design, and the back will weigh more then the EXP type and drive on through.

The N-EXP type is basically a solid and will mushroom on tough animals and drive deep for max penetration.

Exactly which Speer 165gr bullet are you reffering to? I highly doubt that a Speer Hot core shot from a 30-06 or a 30-30 with the shot placement on the shoulder, broadside, on a 300lb hog would even exit. Also I would beleive the meat damage would be higher using a soft bullet versus a harder, solid copper bullet.

We offer various styles of bullets based on the animal and what the hunter wants to accomplish. Picking the proper type of Groove Bullet to fit the application is going to make a difference in the result.

Should you have other questions I will do my best to answer them.

Have a good one,

Don