New
Find
Notify
Tools

6BR With 40 Degree Shoulders
 Login/Join

<T. Brady>
posted
Wanting to build a paper shooter.Mostly for pleasure,but sometime I might compete.Would like to chamber it in 6mm bullet size.Would you go with the 6ppc or 6br or has anyone tried a 6br with 40 degree shoulders?This is the last gun for a while , so I GOT TO DO IT RIGHT.(Kids are going to college)

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are truly wanting a competitive short range BR rifle then the easiest and best way is to have a 6PPC built using quality components and assembled by a competent smith. The barrel should be a 14 twist to shoot 70gr and lighter bullets. The 6 Br would be second choice.
I you should want to shoot heavier bullets then I would go with the BR and a 12 twist for bullets up to 85gr. If your are thinking of a long range rifle then the BR will work with an 8 inch twist barrel shooting 107s.
The BR is standardized with a 30 degree shoulder and excellent brass is available in this configuration from Lapua. The only reason to change the shoulder angle would be that you want to dick around with your brass! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
T. I "had to" get a BR rifle for this season and chose 6mmBR of a few reasons:

1. Everyone else have 6PPC. I don�t necessary need to be different, but I want to experiment and there is little left to do with the PPC. I admit to haveing psychical problems with mainstreaming though...

2. My riflesmith is very confident that a BR will shoot as good as a PPC.

3. Just turn the necks and fireform the cases, the Lapua stuff is just wonderful. A 40� version that maintains the head space as the standard 30� would be just the same, but you will most likely have to get your own reamer. PPC requires opening of the neck from 22 to 6mm as an addition to the above procedures IF you make cases from 220 Russian as the BR gang does.

My barrel has a 14" twist, but for a fun and competition rifle 8" twist would be far better (more interesting). Not toppest accuracy, but close. AND!!!: With those 105 or 107gr VLD bullets you can make magic a windy day at longer distances. AKI

<DuaneinND>
posted
I would go with a 6BR and leave the shoulder alone, if you are going to change anything, bump the shoulder back .100 to decrease case capacity, this makes the BR every bit as competitive as the PPC.