Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varget 75gr A-MAX
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone have the ideal recipe for 75gr A-MAX over Varget in Lapua brass with CCI400 primers?! I have 4 good reloading manuals, but want to find out from you guy what works in your rifles and what does not. Thanks!

Posts: 19 | Location: UK | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a cartridge?

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you mention CCI400 primers so I'm gonna guess your shooting a 223. About 23gr of Benchmark if that is the case.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has to be 223, 25 grains of Varget with a 75 grain AMax... actually a lot of powders with similar burn rates work well with the same charge... 25 grains....

The most accurate in my 223s, that have the faster twist has proven to bed 25 grains of IMR 4064....

Another little secret if you are just using this for target work as opposed to using it on game... the 75 grain Hornady HP is usually more accurate than the 75 grain A Max...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
24 grains Varget and 75 AMAX is lethal on the 600 yard line. In my experience the AMAX and HP both shoot extremely well. I have cleaned 600 yard targets with both. However, on the 600 yd line, i think the AMAX gets the advantage for its better wind bucking abilities. The advantage of the HP is it can seated to magazine length for the AR15.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What twist barrels are you guys using? I have a 1-9" twist savage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia

I have 1 in 9, one in 8 and one in 7...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1:7.5 Krieger. The AMAX shoot phenominally well in that barrel. I have a friend that shoots them in a 1:8 Douglas with excellent results. Good rule of thumb is treat the AMAX like the 80 Sierra and you will be fine. It takes a little more twist for the AMAX than the HP, and my guess is cause the AMAX is a little longer. You may have stabalization issues with a 1:9, you might be better off with the HPs. My two cents worth.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote