New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Seating Depth and Cartridge OAL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im new to handloading rifle cartridges. While loading 22-250 last night I started to notice my OAL was going from a couple being consistant at the 2.350 (OAL suggested by Manuel) with some falling at 2.355 and 4 of the 20 loaded falling at 2.360. I posted awhile back with this same question. Currently the only way for me to measure OAL is with my calipers. I know this can't be the best way to measure, and i know not every bullet is exactly the same. Im using Berger bullets so quality is good. What am I doing wrong, what methods do you use to measure OAL, what tools/gauges? Thanks

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont messure on the tip of the bullet. U can use a small pipe or empty case to messure on the ogive, with a caliper or buy a special tool.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion to you as a newbie is try to not get all wound up in the extreme aesoterics of reloading. At least for now. You're actually talking about a .01" difference. Why not take them out to the range and see how they do. IMO, folks that drive themselves nuts trying to exactly replicate each round are going to a lot of un-needed trouble unless they are shooting a precision, one-off target rifle. And they are usually not very good shots since they spend all their time in the shop instead of the range. Big Grin

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ideally, you should always measure to the ogive. The OAL of a bullet is oftentimes off by several thousnadths. For now, I wouldn't worry too much regarding the OAL as long as you're close to book specs and the rounds feed thru the magazine and chamber ok. Later on, after you get more experience, you can get the gizmos to allow you to measure to the ogive. Personally, I'd recommend it. Good luck & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your seating die might not be tight and was backing out just a tad bit. Maybe your top nut was loose also.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesHow do they shoot? Confused It's unlikely that you're concerned about bench competition accuracy with a 22-250, so is there really a problem ? Just for shits and giggles I just measured the length of 22 cal. 55grain Berger fb hp. Only measured 7 but they varied from .748" to .755" in length. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brennanc9093:
Im new to handloading rifle cartridges. While loading 22-250 last night I started to notice my OAL was going from a couple being consistant at the 2.350 (OAL suggested by Manuel) with some falling at 2.355 and 4 of the 20 loaded falling at 2.360. I posted awhile back with this same question.
Hey Brennan, I've no idea if I responded before. If I did, just skip over my answer now, cause if I did and you decided not to do it, then "best of luck to you."

You do not go by the OAL listed in a Manual because it was not shot in "your" rifle. Determine the Kiss-the-Lands distance using the never-fail, always repeatable Cleaning Rod Method. Convert OCL(as you call it OAL) to ODL(in that same link) and Seat one Bullet in a Case about 0.025"<->0.030" Off-the-Lands.

If that Cartridge will fit in your Magazine, just begin Load Development at that Seating Depth. If it will not fit in the magazine, then you have to either use the rifle as a single shot, or Seat them Deeper. Since the Bergers are very sleek(high Ballistic Coefficient), then there is the potential they will not fit in the magazine. (Just ANOTHER benefit of Super Sleek Bullets! Roll Eyes)

quote:
Currently the only way for me to measure OAL is with my calipers. I know this can't be the best way to measure, and i know not every bullet is exactly the same.
You are correct. You can convert to ODL and totally forget measuring the OCL(OAL) - OR - you can get a "Socket" out of your Tool Box and use it as a Comparitor Thingy. Just use the Largest Socket you have which WILL NOT slip past the Ogive. Insert the Bullet Tip into the Socket and measure from the Case head to the end of the Socket.

The reason you want to avoid measuring from the Bullet Tip is because all manufacturers have some variation in the overall Bullet Length, some more than others, and the Tip is where the Variance is located. But the distance from the Datum Point on the Ogive to the Base is pretty consistent. And that is what we should be concerned about.

quote:
Im using Berger bullets so quality is good.
Lay a towel on a table, a box of the Bergers on the towel and your Calipers. Begin measuring the Bullet Length(Base to Tip) and lay them on the Towel from left <-> right in ascending order. The ones that measure the same put behind one another and see how many different Lengths you have. Record the Lengths on a piece of paper.

Now go back with the "Socket", stick it over the Tip of each Bullet and repeat the exercise. You should notice more consistency in the Length Measurement when checking against the Datum Line on the Ogive.

And do a different Manufacturers box of Bullets as well. Big Grin If you have any Sierra Bullets, you will find they are pretty consistent.

quote:
What am I doing wrong, what methods do you use to measure OAL, what tools/gauges?
You are probably not doing anything at all wrong. As long as you measure OCL(OAL), you will continue to see a length variance.

Once you follow the above Link, you can forget about Measuring OCL(OAL). Just use a smooth consistent Seating Stroke on your Press, Anneal your Cases every so often so the Neck Tension is fairly consistent and you will do fine.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the rifle along with two targets from last sundays range trip. Fist target was at 50 yards, and second at 100.

50 yd.

100 yd. bottom group was shot fist. Let barrel cool then shot second group (center group) first two shots touching, third pushed up, fourth came back center.

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Ogive length gauge do yall recommend. I enjoy handloading and have the time to properly load so Im looking to inhance every aspect I can. Any additional info/gadgets/tips you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seat a bullet very long in the case after making sure there is sufficient lube in the mouth of the case to allow the bullet to slip. I then chamber the dummy round and close the bolt. Carefully remove the round, and measure. Anywhere within .010" is good to go. That will allow for differences in OAL due to lead tip differences...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
I seat a bullet very long in the case after making sure there is sufficient lube in the mouth of the case to allow the bullet to slip. I then chamber the dummy round and close the bolt. Carefully remove the round, and measure. Anywhere within .010" is good to go. That will allow for differences in OAL due to lead tip differences...

popcorn X2.First of all your groups look good. If you want BETTER it more than likely will be found somewhere other than OAL. popcorn
The two groups at 100yd. Confused confuse me.If reading it correctly, it seems that after cooling your point of impact changed greatly. Am I reading this right? bewildered roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your groups look pretty good. So instead of angsting over .01", why not work on your bench technique. I'm gonna bet that as your bench technique improves, so will your groups.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I think your groups look pretty good. So instead of angsting over .01", why not work on your bench technique. I'm gonna bet that as your bench technique improves, so will your groups.

+1 Looking at 100 yard groups I would agree.

Brennan, were you shooting off sandbags with a rear rest or off bipod? What is power and reticle of scope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 50 yd group and then reloaded and shot three at 100. let the barrel cool and took more time shooting the last group (center). I dont have a bench at the range im shooting at. this was from prone with bipod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bench was a generic term. Try dry firing some. Get all settled in, cock the piece (no cartridge in the chamber, and sight in. When the cross hairs are exactly on the bullseye, squeeze the trigger. Does the cross hairs move when the hammer falls? Other than quiver a bit, they shouldn't move. Work on how you're holding the piece. Perhaps you're squeezing the rifle too tight; maybe your finger is not coming straight back when you pull the trigger. And so forth.
When you can squeeze off dry firing "rounds", shot after shot, you'll start to get some great groups.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will try that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brennanc9093:
Thanks I will try that.

Very well said!!