Find
Notify
Tools

Re-Projectiling The .22 Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I coined the term "re-projectiling" because that's what I did. I have been disappointed with my NEF .22 Magnum. I have not been able to find any ammo that would shoot tight groups--much better than 2" groups at 50 yards. So I decided to pull some bullets from some inexpensive .22 mag ammo and install better ones (using the same factory powder charge). (I had read of people doing it, but had never done it myself.) I tried three different projectiles (Berger 50 grain, V-max 45 grain, and some old Nosler bullets designated for 22 Hornet use.

It worked! The Berger and the V-max wouldn't stabilize, but the Nosler's shot great--slightly less than 1" group at 50 yards. Also, they shot about 1/2" higher than the factory ammo shooting 40 grain projectiles. I had no problem with pressure signs with any of the loads.

I will admit that this makes the .22 mag ammo a little more expensive, but it sure does shoot better. Its also a little time consuming, but I have more time than money anyway.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Red C. , That sounds like something I'd like to try. But,just how did you pull the bullets and then how did you seat the new ones ? I've got a Cooper that loves the expensive brand; but it's so slow...and did I say expensive ?
Charles

Posts: 17 | Location: roanoke, va. | Registered: 24 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a thread in the rim fire forum about this.

"Reloading" the .22 WMR

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote