New
Find
Notify
Tools

COAL vs Ideal powder Charge???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, i did a little searching on the forum and i can't find what im looking for. Although, i'm sure it has been discussed before it is too broad of topic to search effectively.

Basic reloading procedure to achieve acurracy depends on MANY things, but lets assume that it isn't my first time and i know the basics. Now, out of all the dependancies,is there any order change or tips that will help me find the most accurate load for a certian bullet out of one gun in the most efficient manner possible?

I think the two biggest factors i am fighting are the 'sweet' COAL number and the perfect powder charge. The combinations of these two factors are almost endless for any given bullet/caliber.

Scenario 1:
You have a powder, case, primer, bullet, good gun, and good reloading equipment. This is the first time you have used this bullet and powder for this centre fire round. You start loading the powder at the recommended minimum and work your way up in small increments. You loaded each cartridge to the same COAL. That COAL was the one recommended by the bullet manufacturer and it easily fits in your mag and chamber.

Now you have found what you think is the best group at a max velocity close to that of the published data. Can you now make small adjustments in your COAL either closer or further to your lands to try and better that group? This may change chamber pressure and velocity, NOW WHAT? Do you go back to the drawing board, start at the minimum powder charge and test a whole new series of loads with a smaller or larger COAL?

This procedure could take thousands of rounds to do it completely safe, unless you get lucky early, right??? Which of these variables takes presidence. Are there any shortcuts or deductions one could make along the way to make the testing process more efficient?

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I could care less what the COAL the bullet manufacturer suggests. I determine the max COAL for my chamber, bullet and magazine. Then set the COAL to whatever my desired bullet jump is or the max that will function in my magazine whichever is shorter. After I find a sweet load I "might" try and tweek the COAL, usually I don't jack with it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Ramrod said. +1

I have never had the phenomenal results from minor adjustments in the COAL that I have read about. Tweeking the jump may help tighten a tight group but I've certainly never seen it make a good load out of a bad one.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Ramrod and Wasbeeman posted. This is good info. Well if this is a single shot bench rifle you may be able to play with your coal. Hear is that big BUT when loading for a hunting rifle you are limited to a coal that feeds reliably from the magazine and Not just the top round. I had a friend who did all his load development by starting with the round in the top of the mag (controlled round feed) when he got in the field he found out the rounds would not feed when the mag was full.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start at the longest COAL that will work for your rifle. For most hunting rifles this is at magazine length.

Adjust powder first, then fine tune COAL by bringing it in 1/2 turn of the die at a time. COAL adjustments are typically most helpful if your rifle is putting 2 rounds in the same hole, and the third one out. Often times a small adjustment in COAL will bring the flyers in.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryce Dillabough:
...Now you have found what you think is the best group at a max velocity close to that of the published data.
Hey Bryce, That portion reads as if a person can tell what the Pressure is by looking at a Velocity. If that is what you intended to say, that is ALL WRONG. If I'm just reading it incorrectly, and you realize no one can tell what the Pressure is by looking at Velocity, then just forget I even mentioned it.

quote:
Can you now make small adjustments in your COAL either closer or further to your lands to try and better that group?
Yes, this is assuming you are not at a MAX Pressure.

quote:
This may change chamber pressure and velocity, NOW WHAT? Do you go back to the drawing board, start at the minimum powder charge and test a whole new series of loads with a smaller or larger COAL?
I generally start Load Development using some Cases on the Extreme Ends of the Weight Sorting for the entire Lot. And I Seat the Bullets 0.010" "Into-the-Lands". That will show me when I reach the SAFE MAX Pressure by measuring CHE & PRE. Then I go back and use Match Grade Bullets while developing the Load with the never improved upon Creighton Audette Load Development Method.

Once I locate the best Harmonic Node, then it is a simple matter to Fine Tune the Final Load by Testing minor variations in the Seating Depth. And in order to make the Seating Depth Adjustments easy and accurate, I convert OCL to ODL, which gives me the precision of a Micrometer Seating Die, while using a regular Full Length Die Set.

quote:
This procedure could take thousands of rounds to do it completely safe, unless you get lucky early, right??? ...
As long as you use all the "Tricks" in the CHE & PRE link, determining the SAFE MAX Pressure for your particular Lot of Cases is easy and repeatable.

There has never been a Haphazard SGS made that will tell you when the weakest Link in the Firing Sequence - the Case - begins to Deform or Expand outside it's Elastic Limits. Only CHE & PRE will do that for you.

Best of luck to you.

Excellent questions! tu2

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all! This will be a great help. Smiler

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote