THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Barnes-X and Barnes solid bullets shooting to same POI ???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes-X and Barnes solid bullets shooting to same POI ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How can I get my .404J to shoot the Barnes-X & Barnes banded solid flatpoints to the same POI ? I'm using 78 grains of RL-15 behind the two different types of 400gr. Barnes bullets, & they are shooting about a foot apart. Any ideas ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say Barnes X are you meaning the old ones or the new TSX? If you're using the old X bullets switch to the TSX so both bullets have relief grooves. If you are using the TSX, then I have no idea.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Frank,
which direction? veritical or what?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I use Barnes TSX and Banded Solids of 165 grains in a 30/06 and both shoot to the same place at 100 yards with the same load. As LWD said, if you're not using them already, try the TSX bullets.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using both the new types, with bands on both types. The solids are hitting 6" high & 10" to the left ..... Can't figure it out.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
did you do an oal measure and chrono? oal will have difference, due to ogive

put em -.065 and make em the same speed...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffers: What do you mean when you say put them at -.065 ? Thanks for your help.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure he means .065" of off the lands, I had the same problem as yours with my .416 Rigby and as he suggests, I slowed the solids down a bit and played with the distance off of the lands and now they both shoot within an inch of each other. Mine too, was shooting about 6 to 8 inches high.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, It sounds like the Bullets are enough different so they are exiting the muzzle at different barrel times - on a different part of the Harmonic Node.

If it were me, I'd pick the one I would consider shooting over the longest distance and get the accuracy where I want it. Then I'd either try changing the Velocity a bit(as bigguy mentioned) on the other Bullet as well as the Seating Depth(as Jeff mentioned). And if necessary I'd "consider" changing Powders for the second Bullet - but only after messing with changing the Velocity/Seating Depth using the RL-15 Powder.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote