New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-magnum primers in "Magnum" rifle cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How many here use non-magnum rifle primers in so-called "magnum" cases?
Example: non-magnum primers in 7MM Rem. Mag.,300WM or 338 WM or larger.

I know what the makers say about mag primers and their useage, but to be quite honest I can't tell any difference except for the difference between brand names. I have actually seen a velocity decrease when using mag-primers.

(I've read that the Fed. 215 primer was designed exclusively for the 378 Weatherby. I really don't see why it was needed as one would probably be using a pretty full case of powder. I have chrony-ed the Fed. primers and can't notice any difference in regards to anything.)

Anybody have any different experiences?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
In practice/plinking rounds, I have used them interchangeably in my magnum fodder and I haven't noticed any differences myself.

I have heard it reported that you won't notice anything unless you are trying to ignite ball powder at VERY cold temperatures. For this reason, I always load my hunting rounds (used during colder weather) with the proper magnum primers.

Anyone else feel this way?

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I failed to mention that I did have some bad hangfires with 30-06 cases and some anemic
H-414 loads measured with a Lee powder dipper. Was using CCI 200 primers. I should have compared some mags to that. Still might try it sometime.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can visit my thread over on the medium bore tab for my recent experience with switching primers and powder.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I saw the thread later on last night after I posted this but thought I would leave this one here since it is reloading related.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you guys, but I use large rifles all the time in Magnum cases...and hardly ever use Mag primers...

if you got a hangfire out of an 06 with H 414, and a Large Rifle primer, then you didn't have enough H 414 in the case... and too low of pressure..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's got a belt, I use a magnum primer; if it don't, I don't.
I've tried using magnum primers in standard cases but couldn't see any advantage so I quit.
I've never tried the reverse.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
If it's got a belt, I use a magnum primer; if it don't, I don't.
I've tried using magnum primers in standard cases but couldn't see any advantage so I quit.
I've never tried the reverse.

I think everybody pretty much has the same mindset, including myself until recently.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I don't know about you guys, but I use large rifles all the time in Magnum cases...and hardly ever use Mag primers...

if you got a hangfire out of an 06 with H 414, and a Large Rifle primer, then you didn't have enough H 414 in the case... and too low of pressure..

Re-read my post. That was what I was saying, except I was wondering if the mag primers would have made any diff.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
over 80ish grains of powder, i always use mag primers, usually 215s.

under that? i'ce seen pressure spikes when using mag primers in small cases.. by small, i mean 375hh and smaller cases

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39554 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
over 80ish grains of powder, i always use mag primers, usually 215s.

Assuming you have tried non-mags in such, have you noticed or found anything unusual, unique or different in "larger/over 80ish cases" with just standard primers?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Rae
yep.. NASTY hang fires... click (primer strike).. wait for it.. kaBOOM...

and michael458 shaw huge drops in vels fed 210 vs 215

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Rae
yep.. NASTY hang fires... click (primer strike).. wait for it.. kaBOOM...

What cartridge and powder was this with? I was just wondering because I have never used a magnum primer with any of my reloads. This includes the 460 Weatherby loaded with 123 grains of IMR-4350. I've used this load with Federal 210 and Winchester WLR primers.

I've never had a hang fire with any of my reloads. Are there certain powders or cartridges that are more susceptible to this?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
126 gr of wc(i forget which number off the top of my head) in my 500 jeffrey, 535gr bullet --about 32gr more capacity than the 460... or about 25% larger...

i've had a couple of hang fires with std primers or loaded under 80% ... nd basically, loads over 80 gr..

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I wonder which aspect causes the hang fires. Sounds like reduced loads might be a big part. The only rounds I load that use at least 80 grains of powder are the 458 Lott and 460 Weatherby, both of which I load around 100% capacity.

I might need to get magnum primers when my 600 Overkill is ready though. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerMany hang fires with non mag.
primers in my .358 X .404 IMP. that were NOT ENTIRELY CORRECTED with WLRMs. Most evident using WCC844 , WCC846 equivalent to 335 and BL-C-2. Other powders also but to a lesser degree. These loads were greater than 80 grains as referred to by Jeff. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use magnum primers for 7mag (the only belt I've got), and regular for everything else except when using H414. I saw hangfires in a .243 at several different powder charges. I switched to magnum primers for H414 and the hangfires went away.

Posts: 41 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like magnum primers are only needed with large charges of ball powder. I only use extruded powders in the rifle rounds I reload so maybe that's why I have never had a problem.

I use H110, which is a ball powder, without magnum primers in a lot of pistol rounds I reload. The powder charges aren't much over 40 grains though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like magnum primers are only needed with large charges of ball powder. I only use extruded powders in the rifle rounds I reload so maybe that's why I have never had a problem.

Chuck, ball powders like magnum primers. Even in a .223, with ball powders, a magnum primer can shrink your groups. Only style single base stick powders are much easier to ignite (think H4831, H4350) and have a tendency to like the cooler primers. But if you are over 75 grain, you can see if your rifle prefers the standard or mag primers.

In my STW I shoot 98gr of ball powder. FED 215's are the ONLY primer it likes with this heavy charge of ball.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 56hawk:

popcornAcc XMR 4064 also yielded click bangs but not near as bad as the 2 ball powders mentioned. flameroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote