New
Find
Notify
Tools

remove threaded bushing on Rockchucker?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am having major trouble with removing the threaded bushing from my Rockchucker press. I got a set of Triebel dies for 8,5x63 Reb which have the large thread diameter, not the regular one. Unfortunately this bushing does not move at all, has been there since 13 years.

Anyone knows how to remove it without destroying this thing? I already pulled VERY hard with a wrench, to no avail at all.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use some 50/50 acetone ATF as penetrating oil and let it work for a while. A 1/2" drive 6 point 1 1/2" socket and a breaker bar ought to do it, maybe with a cheater bar. If that doesn't do it, an air or electric driver might be neccesary.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dismount the press.
turn it upside down
squirt some BRAKE FLUID around the thread
let sit 2 hours, repeat, let sit over night

i used a big pipe wrench the first time

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you live in "Cat" or farm tractor country, you should be able to borrow a BIG Crescent wrench or 1" drive socket wrench to fit that bushing. A little Liquid Wrench or Kroil, and that sucker should pop right out of there.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
It took a 3/4" drive socket & a 24" bar to remove mine despite the press being less than a year old. Them things is in tight!

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is, gentlemen, I am metrically challenged, so more no suitable wrench or socket wrench in 1 1/2 inch in my tool box since I got rid of my always leaking Triumph 750 Tiger.

I already gave it some tries with a big monkey wrench but fear to mess the bushing without, in the worst case, being able to remove it.

Unfortunately, I don't have bottles anymore for my acetylene burner, this might have been the weapon of choice by heating that thing a a little before applying the mentioned ATF or brake fluid.

Damn, sure doe bring up memories from my old car and motorcycle messing days, to get these nuts and bolts to loosen without doing major damage or hurting myself was always a challenge...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unmount the press and stick the nut in the jaws of a large vice and put a bar throught the O window of the press, but that is after you have soaked the nut with something like mentioned in the posts above.

The new remake of the old Triumphs don't leak like the original British models and they don't have that crappy Lucas electrics anymore. Must more reliable now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DUK. Do you remember the socket it took to remove the gland nut on the flywheel of the original Volkswagon Beetles? That's the proper size to use to to remove the bushing. Dunno what the metric size would be but mine is marked 1 1/2 inches. It should be fairly easy to remove with the proper size socket.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

36 mm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I am as a colleague of mine recently said, flabberghasted. Thanks a lot for your help and good advice! A flywheel socket for a VW beetle should most certainly be available in the fatherland of Ferry Porsche.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If all else fails, Weld a Rod across the Insert and turn it out. But, I feel sure some of the above suggestions would work and keep the Insert Reusable.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if the socket fits, but you can't get it out..
well, i assume you don't have air tools...

take the press and socket over to a friendly car repair shop, and ask that they remove the bushing with an air impact wrench. a 5euro note should cover it.. 5 bucks would here

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An impact wrench works on the principle that percussion will sometimes loosen what mere pressure will not. Even without an impact wrench, a few healthy blows to the top of the bushing with a ball peen hammer, comined with penetrating oil treatment, may break it loose, where mere pressure on the wrench has failed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, the oil is applied and the correct socket in size 1 1/2" or metrically 38.1 mm is ordered. I decided that it makes sense to use the proper tools before major damage is caused.

If I can't get ot our myself, there is a tyre shop just around the corner with proper air equipment.

Thanks again to all of you for your kind advise.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you don't get it out with the first go or two with the socket, try drying any surface oil off of it, then use a gentle heat such as a hair dryer.

Apply the heat to the top of the press, not to the bushing itself....then try again.

Sometimes that little variation in temp between the press and the bushing will do the trick.

Obviously, you won't want to play the heat on the press long enough for both the press and the bushing to come up to trhe same temp, but even then the metal of the press and the metal of the bushing will likely be of sufficiently different materials to expand differently from each other and still may break things loose for you.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, the correct 1 1/2" socket and a 3/4" T-lever arrived yesterday by mail, the bushing had already gotten a good soaking with WD40.

It took a little push combined with a little pull and out it went. It seemed just too easy, like many times when one uses the proper tool for a job.

Did I spent this money in vain and had it been possible to do the trick without purchasing the proper socket by just pulling a little harder? I will never know, most likely I would hace messed up the bushing and needed to buy a new bushing plus the tools.

Just in case one of you guys in the SW area of Germany needs support to execute the same operation on his Rockchucker press, just let me know and I'll be happy to loan the socket and lever.