THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

:( Who Says RCBS has good customer service???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I have and RCBS Chargemaster Combo and have been using it for 4-5 years now. I probably have thrown less than a 1000 charges with it. Yesterday...It just went haywire. When I push the 6 I get 5...when I push 8 I get 9...any time I add a 0 to a number...it zeros the charge weight.

So today...I call RCBS and ask to send it in for service. They tell me if it is older than 1 year...they do not service them! I just need to throw it away and buy a new one! thumbdown thumbdown thumbdown

I told the lady I might buy another unit...but it won't be an RCBS!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37888 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The brave new Digital world, made with 3rd world components, probably by 3rd world cheap labor.
Sad story of American Manufacturing following consumer "demand" to it's own demise.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5west
posted Hide Post
Surprised they were not a little more customer service friendly, this type of phone call can't be that uncommon for them. Why don't they say "send it to us for a trade in and we will give you a *** discount on a new one" which would keep customers happy. They must have factory seconds too, give these a 50% discount with an old trade in, a loyalty discount type of thing. Is business too good for companies in the firearm industry these days?

Tony

Posts: 37 | Location: South Central Ohio | Registered: 02 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at that combo the past week. Local store has it for on sale. I've went to pick it up several times but can't as it looks cheap. all of RCBS stuff is cheap. I've been fiddling with it.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 241 | Location: Beaumont, tx | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5west:
Surprised they were not a little more customer service friendly, this type of phone call can't be that uncommon for them. Why don't they say "send it to us for a trade in and we will give you a *** discount on a new one" which would keep customers happy. They must have factory seconds too, give these a 50% discount with an old trade in, a loyalty discount type of thing. Is business too good for companies in the firearm industry these days?

Tony

+1 Boy, did you get that right!

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've had superb CS from RCBS on the several occasions I've needed it.

(I'm a Neanderthal. I don't trust electronic scales.. Perhaps my concern is unwarranted, but there you have it. So I've had my beam scale for 20+ years [a 3 beam RCBS 304 scale built by Ohaus and I love it]. If I have concerns about its accuracy or reproducibility , I can go here. He's supposed to be really, really good.)

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I would have been good with 50% off a new one or even may 25%. But throw it away and buy a new one...really? 2020

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37888 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My take on this is that these types of electronics are made to a price, and not a particular standard. Also, as one poster stated, probably Asian manufactured. I've tried two different units ( Hornady, RCBS ), admittedly quite cheap, but found both throwing inconsistent weights compared to the manual beam-balance scale I've used for years. I wasn't satisfied with this as I'm pretty fussy about getting charge weights just right. Both electronic units were a waste of money in my view. My beam-balance scale has been 100% reliable with unerring accuracy.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I have Chargemaster Combo too. But I bought scales first and later I added dispenser. It works still very good (after about 1 thousand charges).

I don't like to hear that they will not fix it. What a shame.

So you need to buy just dispenser part and hope it will works.

Jiri

Posts: 2111 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Well I don't own an RCBS chargemaster, I have a Lyman instead but I own a huge pile of dies and 2 presses all made by RCBS.
Recently I was thinking I had worn out my RCBS hand priming tool. It was having some malfunctions and not seating to the depth needed.
I emailed RCBS to see if it was time to buy a new one or if I could buy parts. They send a package of new parts that included everything but the original body of the tool, all free of charge.
I thought that was pretty good service!
I've done a couple stupid things with dies that were totally my fault and they have replaced broken parts also free of any charges, I'll stick with RCBS.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Chargemasters are unique in that they've had many, many problems. I've returned two that have gone berserk. At the time, they were replaced for a modest fee, so I was very happy with the RCBS service, but the device itself, though magical when it works, has definitely had reliability problems.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Lyman version a few years ago. Didn't like it, not because it didn't work, but because it was too slow. Went back to using the old RCBS 10-10 scale and my Lyman 55 powder measure. Sold the electronic version to a buddy who wanted it and now we're both happy happy happy.
I've never had anything but excellent service from RCBS and have a BUNCH of their dies, press, and other tools. I'll continue to buy RCBS stuff.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Just don't ask for help with an RCBS Chargemaster combo. I could have thrown it into the trash without calling. thumbdown

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Lane,
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. The truth is RCBS does not make electronics and just buys them from someone else (China) and puts their nameplate on them. With the stuff that they make like dies and presses, they will still take care of you.
It's a shame they don't own up to taking care of the digital stuff though. Maybe ATK has messed them up.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but RCBS details on their site the warranties on various products. Sorry the Chargemaster is limited only.

From RCBS

Warranty

These warranties supersede all other warranties for RCBS products whether written or oral.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Reloading Press, Die, Manual Case Trimmer or Bullet Mould

LIMITED WARRANTY

Electronic Products:
ChargeMaster Scale/Combo/Dispenser, RangeMaster Scale, AmmoMaster Chronograph

Electrical Products:
Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, Vibratory Case Cleaner, RASS Bench RASS Accessories

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Reloading Press, Die, Manual Case Trimmer or Bullet Mould

Your reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original owner owns it. This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser. This warranty excludes any electrical components or products. All RCBS products are intended for non-commercial use by hobbyists. Any other use of these products will void the warranty. Should you believe that your reloading press, die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is defective in material or workmanship, you must return the reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould to Ammunition Accessories Inc. through its Oroville operation (hereinafter "Oroville Operations") postage paid for evaluation. If defective, the product will be repaired or replaced at Oroville Operations' option, at no charge.

Send a dated proof of purchase to Oroville Operations along with the product information and reason for return to:

Ammunition Accessories Inc., Oroville Operations
605 Oro Dam Blvd
Oroville, California 95965

Warranty services cannot be provided without meeting the above requirements.

TO ENSURE ACCURACY OF YOUR WARRANTY INFORMATION, SEND YOUR WARRANTY CARD TO:
605 Oro Dam Blvd

THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER DEFECTS OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM: CARELESSNESS, MISUSE, COMMERCIAL USE, ABUSE, IMPROPER INSTALLATION, MODIFICATION, OR NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY. OROVILLE OPERATIONS IS NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL OROVILLE OPERATIONS BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES. HOWEVER, SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

The above warranty provides the sole and exclusive warranty available to the customer in the event of a defect in material or workmanship in the reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from State to State.

LIMITED WARRANTY

ChargeMaster Scale/Combo/Dispenser, RangeMaster Scale, AmmoMaster Chronograph

Your ChargeMaster scale, ChargeMaster Combo, RangeMaster scale, ChargeMaster Dispenser or AmmoMaster Chronograph is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for one year from the date of purchase. This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser. All RCBS products are intended for non-commercial use by hobbyists. Any other use of these products will void the warranty. Should you believe that ChargeMaster scale, ChargeMaster Combo, RangeMaster scale, ChargeMaster Dispenser or AmmoMaster Chronograph is defective in material or workmanship, you must return the ChargeMaster scale, ChargeMaster Combo, RangeMaster scale, ChargeMaster Dispenser or AmmoMaster Chronograph to Ammunition Accessories Inc. through its Oroville operation (hereinafter "Oroville Operations") postage paid for evaluation. If defective, the product will be repaired or replaced at Oroville Operations' option, at no charge.

Send a dated proof of purchase to Oroville Operations along with the product information and reason for return to:

605 Oro Dam Blvd

605 Oro Dam Blvd

THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER DEFECTS OR DAMAGE RESULTING FROM: CARELESSNESS, MISUSE, COMMERCIAL USE, ABUSE, IMPROPER INSTALLATION, MODIFICATION, OR NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THIS LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY. OROVILLE OPERATIONS IS NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL OROVILLE OPERATIONS BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES. HOWEVER, SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

The above warranty provides the sole and exclusive warranty available to the customer in the event of a defect in material or workmanship in the ChargeMaster scale, ChargeMaster Combo, RangeMaster scale, ChargeMaster Dispenser or AmmoMaster Chronograph. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from State to State.

LIMITED WARRANTY

Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, VCC, RASS Bench RASS Accessories

Your Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, Vibratory Case Cleaner, R.A.S.S. Bench or R.A.S.S. Accessories is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for two years from the date of purchase. This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser. All RCBS products are intended for non-commercial use by hobbyists. Any other use of these products will void the warranty. Should you believe that Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, Vibratory Case Cleaner, Mega Tumbler, R.A.S.S. Bench or R.A.S.S. Accessories is defective in material or workmanship, you must return the Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, Vibratory Case Cleaner, Mega Tumbler, R.A.S.S. Bench or R.A.S.S. Accessories to Ammunition Accessories Inc. through its Oroville operation (hereinafter "Oroville Operations") postage paid for evaluation. If defective, the product will be repaired or replaced at Oroville Operations' option, at no charge.

605 Oro Dam Blvd

605 Oro Dam Blvd

The above warranty provides the sole and exclusive warranty available to the customer in the event of a defect in material or workmanship in the Trim Pro Power Trimmer, Trim Mate Case Prep Center, ProMelt Furnace, Sidewinder Case Tumbler, R.A.S.S. Bench and R.A.S.S. Accessories. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from State to State.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I have and RCBS Chargemaster Combo and have been using it for 4-5 years now. I probably have thrown less than a 1000 charges with it. Yesterday...It just went haywire.

I had the very same issue with a Bushnell range finder.....and I did in fact throw it away and bought a Leica like I should have done in the first place.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem when mine was brand new and found directions on the internet for rebooting/resetting the unit and it fixed it.

This was 5 years ago so I don't remember where I found the directions but my Chargemaster has been working perfectly ever since.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12706 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, My lyman started tossing up random numbers and I called Lyman and the lady had me wipe it down with a static cloth like you put in your dryer. That cleared up my problem.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rolltop:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I have and RCBS Chargemaster Combo and have been using it for 4-5 years now. I probably have thrown less than a 1000 charges with it. Yesterday...It just went haywire.

I had the very same issue with a Bushnell range finder.....and I did in fact throw it away and bought a Leica like I should have done in the first place.

yuck even funnier that I have a pair of Leica Geovids in transit as I type.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I had the same problem when mine was brand new and found directions on the internet for rebooting/resetting the unit and it fixed it.

This was 5 years ago so I don't remember where I found the directions but my Chargemaster has been working perfectly ever since.

I will look for that...thanks Frank!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had mine 4 or 5 years now and everything has been replaced at least twice. That was then and this is now. Too bad: Green used to care about their customers, Guess they've grown too big for that.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1111 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The old Snipershide forums had good info on it for Chargemaster programming and such. I would try a yahoo search. I'm not a Google can.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have been running two of them for a lot of years now and they have been flawless. Bought them when the combo unit first came out. 8-10 years ago?

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your issues, Lane.

I had a problem with a Chargemaster several years ago. It would throw a charge I could pull it off, then place it right back on the scale and it would read a different weight. I compared these weights with a balance beam to make sure I was using the right charge.

I called RCBS, they said send it in, and a few weeks later a brand new one arrived on my doorstep. I guess they have changed their policy since I had my problems.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I really expected some forth of help. I wasn't looking for free.

To me something like me paying shipping both ways and they repair or a new unit for half-price or something at least. Not...throw it away and buy a new one. thumbdown

I am going to fiddle with it a few days with all the "internet fixes" and if it still doesn't work...I will fix it with a new Pact.

Pact is a local Texas Co. and seem to be better with warranty help...and...their unit is made in the USA.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Here is my e-mail correspondence with RCBS that I sent prior to our phone conversation...they finally replied twice.

First reply:

> From: rcbs.tech@vistaoutdoor.com
> To: ledvm@msn.com
> Subject: RE: rcbs.com - Ask RCBS Form
> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:56:00 +0000
>
> It sounds like you have a keypad failure. Unfortunately the units have a one year warranty from the date of purchase. If the unit fails within the one year period we would replace it. Since the units are a vendor unit to us we have no resources for repairs and we do not repair the units. You should be able to replace the dispenser portion of the unit and get it up and running again. Thanks for choosing RCBS and have a great day!
>
> Technical Services Representative/ap
> RCBS/Vista Outdoor
> 605 Oro Dam Blvd.
> Oroville, Ca 95965
> (800) 379-1732
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ledvm@msn.com [mailto:ledvm@msn.com]
> Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2015 10:59 AM
> To: rcbs tech
> Subject: rcbs.com - Ask RCBS Form
>
>
> Lane Easter
> ledvm@msn.com
> (580) 276-1600
> 17797 US 77
> Thackerville Oklahoma 73459 USA
>
>
> I have a RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It is 8-9 years old. I purchased it new from Midsouth Shooters Suppy. I have probably loaded less than a 1000 rounds with it.
>
> I turned it on today and some the buttons don't work. Some numbers when pushed give the adjacent numbers. Any time I hit zero...it zeros the load weight to zero.
>
> Can I send it in for repair?
>

Second e-mail I received without replying to the first.

> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:43:57 +0000
>
>
>
> I am very sorry, but the Chargemaster has a 1 year warranty from date of purchase and we purchase this item, so there is no repair facility to repair
> your unit. You would need to replace you unit. If the unit is unstable,
> it most likely is the load cell. Thanks for contacting RCBS.
>
> Thank You,
>
>
>
>
> Lane Easter
> ledvm@msn.com
> (580) 276-1600
> 17797 US 77
>
>
> I have a RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It is 8-9 years old. I purchased it new from Midsouth Shooters Suppy. I have probably loaded less than a 1000 rounds with it.
>
> I turned it on today and some the buttons don't work. Some numbers when pushed give the adjacent numbers. Any time I hit zero...it zeros the load weight to zero.
>
>

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
My response to RCBS:

To: rcbs.tech@vistaoutdoor.com
Subject: RE: rcbs.com - Ask RCBS Form
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 09:13:54 -0600
Dear Ma'am or Sir:

Your response disappoints me. While I was not looking for a freebie...I certainly expected RCBS to offer some sort of resolution...a new unit at 1/2 price or something similar.

I think that offering a piece of equipment and responding like that is the sign of a company to avoid in the future.

I see from internet forum posts that y'all have in the past had the same issues many time and have in the past offered some form of compensation. I guess there must be too many to warrant economically...which again is a warning sign.

I feel compelled to warn my fellow reloaders at Accurate Reloading : http://forums.accuratereloadin...041017512#3041017512

I will replace the unit for sure...with A PACT!!!

Have a good day!

Sincerely,
Lane

J. Lane Easter, DVM
Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Founding Partner & Surgeon
Performance Equine Associates
17797 U.S. Hwy. 77
POB 450
Thackerville, OK 73459
Phone: (580) 276-1600
Fax: (580) 276-1606
lane.easter@pea-texoma.com
http://www.pea-texoma.com/

J. Lane Easter, DVM, PA
P.O. Box 665
Gainesville, TX 76241
ledvm@msn.com

> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 14:56:00 +0000
>
> It sounds like you have a keypad failure. Unfortunately the units have a one year warranty from the date of purchase. If the unit fails within the one year period we would replace it. Since the units are a vendor unit to us we have no resources for repairs and we do not repair the units. You should be able to replace the dispenser portion of the unit and get it up and running again. Thanks for choosing RCBS and have a great day!
>
> Technical Services Representative/ap
> RCBS/Vista Outdoor
> 605 Oro Dam Blvd.
> Oroville, Ca 95965
> (800) 379-1732
>
>
>
>
> Lane Easter
> ledvm@msn.com
> (580) 276-1600
> 17797 US 77
>
>
>
>
>

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently had an issue with a RCBS .308 small base die. Returned it and got the same old great service from RCBS that I've been getting for 50 years. They replaced it free.
Sounds like they are going the way of a bunch of old formerly great American companies. Cheap Chinese junk. I'll mention a few and I'm sure others can add to the list. Bausch & Lomb, Rockport Shoes, Hallmark Pens, Bushnell. Did I mention BUSHNELL, the worst of the bunch.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've had great customer service from RCBS over the years. I have three Chargemaster Combos. One had a keypad failure a couple of years ago and RCBS sent me a brand new unit. I think they got tired of doing that because so many Chargemasters have electronic problems. If the units are not up to RCBS standards and RCBS doesn't want to offer a decent warranty, they should just quit selling them.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Last correspondence with RCBS:

To: ledvm@msn.com
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 17:21:37 +0000

Lane I am very sorry for this inconvenience. There are a couple things you can try that might help out with this connection issue. You may try separating the two units and putting them back together with a "good squeeze". If you use some canned air to make sure there is no debris in there where they connect or use a contact spray or di-electric gel, it may help even more. You also may want to wipe it down with a dryer sheet you throw in the laundry to help eradicate the static electricity in the load cell as well. Wipe down the scale, powder pan, platen and housing for the unit too. You also want to make sure when you put the unit back together you do not tighten the two feet in the center on the right hand side as that can affect the load cell as well. You can also try the scale on it’s own and if you can get that to work properly then at that point it would be just a new dispenser you would need (part # 98922). Hope this helps and have a great weekend.

RCBS Tech/AD
Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing and delivery.
Thanks for being an RCBS customer
Happy Reloading!
605 Oro Dam Blvd. E.
Oroville, CA 95965
1-800-379-1732

Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:14 AM
To: rcbs tech

Dear Ma'am or Sir:

Your response disappoints me. While I was not looking for a freebie...I certainly expected RCBS to offer some sort of resolution...a new unit at 1/2 price or something similar.

I think that offering a piece of equipment and responding like that is the sign of a company to avoid in the future.

I see from internet forum posts that y'all have in the past had the same issues many time and have in the past offered some form of compensation. I guess there must be too many to warrant economically...which again is a warning sign.

I feel compelled to warn my fellow reloaders at Accurate Reloading : http://forums.accuratereloadin...041017512#3041017512

I will replace the unit for sure...with A PACT!!!

Have a good day!

Sincerely,
Lane

J. Lane Easter, DVM
Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons
Founding Partner & Surgeon
Performance Equine Associates
17797 U.S. Hwy. 77
POB 450
Thackerville, OK 73459
Phone: (580) 276-1600
Fax: (580) 276-1606
lane.easter@pea-texoma.com
http://www.pea-texoma.com/

J. Lane Easter, DVM, PA
P.O. Box 665
Gainesville, TX 76241
ledvm@msn.com

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of that electronic gear isn't constructed to be repaired, shame, but, that is the way they do things these days. Likely 25 yrs ago, I had a rifle leaning against my reloading bench, fell over, caught the cord on my Lyman electronic scale, crashed it to the floor. It was long out of warranty, called them to ask about repairing it. They said send it in, we will see what we can do, no repair program avail, but, we'll see what we can do.
Got one back a few wks later, appeared to be a new one. Still have it,works fine. Cost me the postage.
I hesitated to buy a Chargemaster, I did buy one, but, I know one day it will krap out, and at the time I bought it, about all I hoped for was maybe a 10 yr life cycle out of it. Got 3 yrs into it now, it has always read 1/10th off from my beam scale,heavy. It's a luxury indulgence I spoiled myself with.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple weeks ago, I mailed RCBS a brand new plastic dial caliper with receipt because right out of the box it was off by .004. The bezel ring didn't look like my old one, so I didn't think it could be rotated to compensate for the .004.

I mailed it back to RCBS with a letter explaining it was off by .004 and I couldn't compensate for it by turning the bezel ring like I could on my other two RCBS calipers and asked they send me a new one which wasn't off by .004. They emailed me back politely explaining the face of the bezel could be turned to compensate for the .004 and that he had done so and tested it by measuring a pin gauge.

So, they mailed the caliper back to me which was still off by .004 but the bezel ring had been rotated so it could at least be zeroed and properly take measurements. I went to Home Depot and found a plastic dial caliper for $25.00 which was properly zeroed.

I own a lot of RCBS equipment, press with accessories, stainless steel and plastic calipers, dies, trimmer, 10-10 scale, RCBS Chargemaster scale, Precision Micrometers etc. I'm gonna take a hard look at other brands the next time I need to buy any reloading equipment and Dillon will be getting my money when I upgrade to a progressive reloader. I honestly thought RCBS would just mail me a new properly zeroed caliper but I obviously thought wrong.

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The world is changing...and not necessarily for the better. Frowner

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I personally love RCBS CS. I bought a priming tool out of the Walmart bargain bin for dirt cheap because it was missing the tray, only to have RCBS send me the tray free of charge.
That said, I despise electronic scales. I went through a couple of cheapies, and when I bought a RCBS scale, it was DOA. I will stick with my 505 scale.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have had the digital scale and was always checking the throws on a beam scale. Now I have switch to the Omega auto powder trickler and beam scale.

I use a scoop from the LEE powder measure kit to get close to needed weight. Put the powder in the beam scale pan and press the dispense button on the Omega. It is extremely fast and accurate, every time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou for the post on the Omega Powder Trickler. I checked out details on the Omega website, and I'm impressed. That wee machine is a well thought out unit and could be a great upgrade on my reloading bench. I've sent an enquiry asking if spherical powders are also OK ( the video demo shows only extruded powders ). If the reply is affirmative I think I'll be acquiring the 2 speed unit.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS is a proud Company. They had replaced broken and even lost parts on my RCBS Piggyback. Rather sent them an email. You probably spoke to a junior official.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
All this fancy equipment. I've used my 10-10 for YEARS. Either toss a light charge in the pan with my unifo or lee cup. The turn the knob a couple times to trickle in the last few grains.

I has worked perfect for 40+ years guess I'll stay with it.

I've always had trouble seeing what the extra equipment got me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader270:
RCBS is a proud Company. They had replaced broken and even lost parts on my RCBS Piggyback. Rather sent them an email. You probably spoke to a junior official.

I talked to them on the phone TWICE. Throw it away and buy a new one was the response verbally and written...trust me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Difference between their electronics and metal work. I don't have the Omega with the scale cut off, I have the model before it. What do you think of it?

PS: I load a lot of Varget and for me the slow speed works better than the fast or bouncing back and forth between the two speeds.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found this with a simple Google search. RCBS Chargemaster 1500 repair, unfortunately most companies don't warranty electronics longer than 1 year anymore. I do think that RCBS should have offered a discount of some sort for being a loyal customer.